V Magazine Hardcover Edition
politics

Madonna faces backlash for performance at Eurovision

Featured Posts

Musicer

Madonna faces backlash for controversial upcoming performance at Eurovision Song Contest in Israel as fans call to BOYCOTT the show

12023952-6900587-image-a-114_15547578703

The iconic singer has been confirmed to perform at the annual singing competition next month 

The 60-year-old's performance will reportedly cost organisers $1 million - one of the show's most expensive bookings to date 

It is believed the superstar has already butted heads with the contest's producers - because the song she plans to debut contains a political message

The Eurovision performance would be Madonna's fourth in Israel. The mother-of-six previously performed in the state in 1993, 2009 and 2012

Madonna is facing backlash for her upcoming performance at next month's Eurovision Song Contest in Israel.

The iconic singer, 60, is said to be taking to the stage at the Expo Tel Aviv to sing two of her songs during the finale's halftime - which is set to cost organisers $1 million. 

However, fans have called for a boycott of Eurovision this year, with many slamming the hitmaker for agreeing to entertain audiences at the annual event in Israel after she previously tweeted for 'peace' following the bombing of innocent Palestinian children in 2014. 

Madonna's upcoming performance has been doused in controversy after it was announced on Monday. 

Many social media users have called for Madonna to cut ties with the performance and the hashtag #BoycottEurovision2019 has been widely used to bring to the forefront the plight of Palestinians living under Israeli occupied territories.   

12060820-6904011-image-m-23_15548289642412060822-6904011-image-m-24_15548289923912060832-6904011-image-m-26_155482902518

• Like 1
  • LMAO 13
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

LateToCult
2 hours ago, Musicer said:

Madonna faces backlash for controversial upcoming performance at Eurovision Song Contest in Israel as fans call to BOYCOTT the show

12023952-6900587-image-a-114_15547578703

The iconic singer has been confirmed to perform at the annual singing competition next month 

The 60-year-old's performance will reportedly cost organisers $1 million - one of the show's most expensive bookings to date 

It is believed the superstar has already butted heads with the contest's producers - because the song she plans to debut contains a political message

The Eurovision performance would be Madonna's fourth in Israel. The mother-of-six previously performed in the state in 1993, 2009 and 2012

Madonna is facing backlash for her upcoming performance at next month's Eurovision Song Contest in Israel.

The iconic singer, 60, is said to be taking to the stage at the Expo Tel Aviv to sing two of her songs during the finale's halftime - which is set to cost organisers $1 million. 

However, fans have called for a boycott of Eurovision this year, with many slamming the hitmaker for agreeing to entertain audiences at the annual event in Israel after she previously tweeted for 'peace' following the bombing of innocent Palestinian children in 2014. 

Madonna's upcoming performance has been doused in controversy after it was announced on Monday. 

Many social media users have called for Madonna to cut ties with the performance and the hashtag #BoycottEurovision2019 has been widely used to bring to the forefront the plight of Palestinians living under Israeli occupied territories.  

Who wrote this? They say the exact same thing like 3 times  :messga:

Edited by LateToCult
  • Like 12
  • LMAO 20
  • Thanks 1

Bellatrix

This is ridiculous as hell. The fact that she's performing in Eurovision , which is a non-political event, has nothing to do to with the Israeli governments actions on Palestine.

She's not the first, nor the last artist to perform in countries like that. I mean, where were everyone when Gaga performed in Russia and Azerbaijan for example?
Should artists just ignore their fans in those countries just because the governments are f*cked? :oprah:

In that case they might as well boycott the US too for electing Trump.

• Like 20
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 30

mariomania1234

This trend of articles citing like three tweets as "backlash" is always amusing to me. 

But yeah, she took a big risk when she booked this performance....

• Like 14
  • LMAO 2

Ryusei

god... First lana now madonna, at some point everyone is gonna void that area altogether because it's just not worth all this..

• Like 3
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 1

Schizophonic

madonna might be a lot of things but she is not stupid and she is on the right side of history. she will put the performance in the name of peace, freedom and equality. she will make a clear statement for peace, i´m sure.

• Like 14
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 4

lego

All of these people praising her now, will eat their words if she actually says anything about Palestinians and against Netanyahu and Trump. Just wait. 

It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

August3

If she could boycot Russia, she can boycot Israel. Saying that as a fan 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

Salome
4 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

This is ridiculous as hell. The fact that she's performing in Eurovision , which is a non-political event, has nothing to do to with the Israeli governments actions on Palestine.

She's not the first, nor the last artist to perform in countries like that. I mean, where were everyone when Gaga performed in Russia and Azerbaijan for example?
Should artists just ignore their fans in those countries just because the governments are f*cked? :oprah:

In that case they might as well boycott the US too for electing Trump.

Gaga performed in Israel too!

Watch this gem

• LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 3

Edonis

I mean, it's to be expected so I'm not really surprised. I remember reading that her performance was going to  be provocative and the event organizers weren't very pleased. So I wonder if she was going to do or say something related to the government's treatment of Palestine.

lego
5 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

. I mean, where were everyone when Gaga performed in Russia and Azerbaijan for example?

Right here! She was criticized for it. Or everyone has bad memory? 

It's not easy love, but you've got friends you can trust
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Bellatrix
Just now, lego said:

Right here! She was criticized for it. Or everyone has bad memory? 

I saw some posts about it, but not that much. I mean, we're on GGD with lots of Madonna haters so I'm not surprised. They are so desperate to bash Madonna as fast as they can that they don't remember Gagas actions.

Whispering
2 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

I saw some posts about it, but not that much. I mean, we're on GGD with lots of Madonna haters so I'm not surprised. They are so desperate to bash Madonna as fast as they can that they don't remember Gagas actions.

Posts? There were several threads made about it. Madonna isn’t being targeted here, anymore than Gaga was on her own fansite.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Cocaine Heart
4 minutes ago, Bellatrix said:

That does not justify this though. There were dozens of people criticizing Gaga then. A lot of us criticized her then, and will criticize this now .

I'm not racist, I have a black iphone #WesternLivesMatter
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1