politics

UK Government Loses Key Brexit Vote

Featured Posts

monster4life231

The UK Government have just been defeated with the Commons rejecting May's Brexit deal.

242 for.

391 against.

149 majority against the deal.

This is the second defeat on May's deal this year; more votes to follow tomorrow.

spread peace.
  • YAAAS 2
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

Eido
1 minute ago, baptism said:

i wish she'd stop trying to make brexit happen. it's not cute.

Well no offense but this is not happening because of her but thanks to people who didn't vote thinking this would never happen. :oops:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Spanish Eyes
Just now, BenG said:

Brexit has to happen. The people voted for it

tenor.gif?itemid=10979963

• Like 1
  • LMAO 5
  • YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

BenG
2 minutes ago, Spanish Eyes said:

tenor.gif?itemid=10979963

I'm a remainer myself but that's how democracy works

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 3

Spanish Eyes
Just now, BenG said:

sorry for the misinterpretation. 

The Louvre
9 minutes ago, BenG said:

5 minutes ago, BenG said:

Actually no, it's not. It's not the way a representative democracy works. It's the way a direct democracy works, a.k.a. Switzerland. In literally every other democratic country the people elect REPRESANTATIVES.

These members of parliament vote in parliament on subjects often times far too obscure and precise for the general public to have any knowledge about. Issues that can't be fitted into a 16 word question with a yes or no answer.

So no, because the people voted to leave the EU based on a campaign of lies with 52% in an NON-BINDING ADVISORY referendum does not mean that the UK has to leave.

It really wouldn't be the first time the result of an advisory referendum would be cast aside in Europe. The Netherlands did it in 2015 with their Ukraine referendum, because well, turns out the general population doesn't read 500 pages of an Association Treaty and form an educated opinion about them.

That being said, I hope the UK leaves. In the EU they got their rebate and they were exempted from the Schengen zone and Eurozone and STILL they weren't happy. Good riddance which allows the EU to evolve further.

It's said the map of the world is on you. The moon gravitates around you. The seasons escape you.
  • Like 5

DziJuLaj
48 minutes ago, BenG said:

People also voted for Hitler back then.

But as a European I am happy the UK is going to leave the EU. It has been always the only country that cares only about themselves and do not understand that the EU is about being a community, which help us to live in peace. I just hope that other countries will not follow. 

Edited by DziJuLaj
alchemik.online
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Unbeweavable

If i didn't use GGD i'd literally know nothing about what's happening n my country :air: 

Unbeweavable
57 minutes ago, BenG said:

if they re did it now then it would be stay

people didn't think we'd actually leave and if they re-done it then everyone that cba voting before (inc me) would actually vote 

monster4life231

1 hour ago, The Louvre said:

Actually no, it's not. It's not the way a representative democracy works. It's the way a direct democracy works, a.k.a. Switzerland. In literally every other democratic country the people elect REPRESANTATIVES.

These members of parliament vote in parliament on subjects often times far too obscure and precise for the general public to have any knowledge about. Issues that can't be fitted into a 16 word question with a yes or no answer.

So no, because the people voted to leave the EU based on a campaign of lies with 52% in an NON-BINDING ADVISORY referendum does not mean that the UK has to leave.

It really wouldn't be the first time the result of an advisory referendum would be cast aside in Europe. The Netherlands did it in 2015 with their Ukraine referendum, because well, turns out the general population doesn't read 500 pages of an Association Treaty and form an educated opinion about them.

That being said, I hope the UK leaves. In the EU they got their rebate and they were exempted from the Schengen zone and Eurozone and STILL they weren't happy. Good riddance which allows the EU to evolve further.

I understand your point, but the elected representatives voted to give the UK the decision of stay or leave the UK through direct democracy. As the elected representatives (and the Conservatives pledged in their mandate to hold a referendum), the Commons agreed upon holding a referendum. If they thought that people were not educated enough to make the decision, then the referendum should have never have been promised. Throughout the whole campaign it was said that the referendum result would be respected no matter which way people voted. It was never made explicitly clear that the result is actually non-binding.

I think the whole process is a mess. People have valid arguments from all side of the debates and it's so complicated. I'm British, and a politics student, and I'm even growing tired of this. It's like groundhog day. For some reason our Government created red lines, then went to the EU and wanted certain things, and then complained that there were red lines. Our own Government can't even make its mind up as to what they want.

spread peace.

AndrewMac95

At this point it’s becoming a joke, from all ends. 

I wish people would give Theresa a break though, she is literally still going even though she’s faced so much crap from her party and the public. Wish we would stop bringing down a strong female character, tbh if this was Cameron or Blair they wouldn’t be getting as much stick as Theresa is getting. Fact 

Holy forking shirtballs
  • Like 1