Gaga Daily Youtube
science

New Galaxy Discovered Right Next To Us

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.newsclick.in/antila-2-large-and-dim-new-galaxy-found-far-side-milky-way

The Milky way has had a dwarf Galaxy (Antila 2) orbiting us the entire time and until recently we never saw it

This galaxy is on the opposite end of the galaxy of where Earth currently is which made it difficult to see as the stars of our own galaxy were in the way and made it hard to make out

In addition this galaxy is 10,000 times fainter than our own with its stars quite sparse from eachother in that galaxy making it even harder to make out

But as it turns out we have another galaxy closer to us than Andromeda, it's literally right next to us as a next door neighbour and this whole time we didn't see

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista
  • Like 2
  • YAAAS 3
  • Love 1
  • Shook 9

Economy

I always wondered if something similar could of happened in our own solar system...

What if there's another planet that by sheer coincidence has the exact same orbit speed as the earth but it's 180 degrees across from the earth on the exact opposite end of the sun?

If a planet was on the other side and had the exact same orbit as earth never giving a chance for one planet to circumvent the other, we'd never see it and know that it's there :rip:

jesse_batista
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 3
  • Shook 1

nerdfacekillah

ok time to go there, im done with planet earth

If you don’t have any shadows, you’re not standing in the light.
  • Like 3

hurricane326

Get ready for the conspiracy people saying IT'S COLLIDING WITH US!!!!!!!!!

Economy
Just now, nerdfacekillah said:

ok time to go there, im done with planet earth

I think our own Galaxy has a lot more planets to choose from...

A galaxy 10,000 times fainter would suggest it has only 10 Million Stars (vs minimum estimates of 100 Billion in the milky Way)

Given how many factors have to be just right to get an earth like planet... It's quite possible not a single planet in that galaxy could sustain human life

In our own galaxy the odds of having at least 1 planet being super similar to ours increase significantly

jesse_batista
  • Like 1

Economy
3 minutes ago, hurricane326 said:

Get ready for the conspiracy people saying IT'S COLLIDING WITH US!!!!!!!!!

I mean galaxies do that...

Andromeda which is even bigger than our galaxy is literally on a collision course towards the milky way... But orbits of solar systems will readjust themselves. Galaxies colliding isn't a physical impact like a car crash (tho I'm sure some individual solar systems that are in the wrong spot could be thrown into chaos)

Space will look extremely different in a few billion years... Galaxies that are close enough to eachother are colliding (unless they are in orbit of eachother)....

Galaxies that are further apart are getting further and further from eachother due to the expansion of space. 

Eventually space will be just large clumps of big galaxies and extremely huge empty spaces until the next clump

I've read before that in several billion years the galaxies in our local group is all we will be able to observe... Every other galaxy will be out of visual range due to space expansion

Edited by Economy
jesse_batista
  • Like 2
  • Shook 1

Kimmo

Look beautiful!!!

ca_1130NID_Milky_Way_Satelitte_online%20

Antlia 2 (upper left), hidden on the Milky Way's far side, is as big as the Large Magellanic Cloud (lower right) but much dimmer. (A bright, artificial blob representing Antlia 2 was added to show its location.)

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 1

JFK
12 minutes ago, Economy said:

I always wondered if something similar could of happened in our own solar system...

What if there's another planet that by sheer coincidence has the exact same orbit speed as the earth but it's 180 degrees across from the earth on the exact opposite end of the sun?

If a planet was on the other side and had the exact same orbit as earth never giving a chance for one planet to circumvent the other, we'd never see it and know that it's there :rip:

Voyager says hello from the deep cold space :D

• Like 1

calmar
13 minutes ago, Economy said:

We would know by now given that we have sent missions to inferior planets as well as the Sun (43 have been to to Venus, 2 to Mercury, over 60 to the Sun), and we have also parked things in the Sun-Earth Lagrangian points, which would easily have detected a planet such as the one you are describing by this point (since such a planet would be at the Sun-Earth L3.) In addition, Venus passes very, very close to the Sun-Earth L3 every 20 years, and so that combined with other gravitational forces means there's no way an object of any real size could be stable there.

俺の勝利は揺るぎない
  • Thanks 2

Economy
6 minutes ago, JFK said:

Voyager says hello from the deep cold space :D

Voyager may not be scanning enough Into the solar system to guarantee it wouldn't miss it especially if it wasn't a large one

The quality of Voyager photos is quite bad and it only takes snap shots a few times a day because the limited 1970s computer in it take a long time to process the data to then send it here limiting the amount of ground it can cover

If we had the ability to send another Voyager now as far as we did with computers now, it would cover a lot more data

jesse_batista

DiscoHeaven23

It really goes to show how much we don't know.

And how much we think we know, but don't know. 

That excites me

• Love 1

River

It's like those neighbors that live next to you for 20 years but you never saw their faces for some reason until one sunny day you decide to turn your head and you see them and it's awkward as sh-t

I'm not serious 99% of the times ;)
  • LMAO 5

Economy
Just now, DiscoHeaven23 said:

It really goes to show how much we don't know.

And how much we think we know, but don't know. 

That excites me

I was actually just reading an article now about this since I came across this topic

Seems like dwarf galaxies close to our own are actually a challange to detect even tho they are so close

Because they are small and faint it's hard to make them out and tell them apart from just another star in our sky

Instruments have to be specifically analysing that area of space and computer compiling all the data to calculate distance etc 

Sometimes some of them cannot be seen with the naked eye even with telescopes and computers have to make them out but if you don't visually see anything it's hard to decide to have the computer analyse that area because you don't think you have reason to

So it turns out that every so often new dwarf galaxies close to us are discovered and there may still be many more we aren't aware of at this time

This one in the thread is particularly interesting because it's literally right beside us but because it's on the very opposite end of the galaxy that earth is currently in, our own stars got in the way and we never noticed it was there

So far 55 galaxies have been found in our local group but only 3 of them are of any significance in terms of size and mass... Our own milkyway galaxy, Andromeda (the largest I believe) and M33 which is on the other end of the local group that the milkyway is in

Also Andromeda is pretty close to M33 on the other side of the local group which means the milkyway doesn't have any large galaxies that are super close to us, only tiny dwarf galaxies, most of them are on a collision towards the milkyway and we will consume them and their stars will become part of the milkyway

Andromeda which is a little farther is also on a collision course, so when that finally happens it will be a huge galaxy. I don't know if M33 is also being attracted or not tho

jesse_batista
  • YAAAS 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1

hurricane326
41 minutes ago, Economy said:

I mean galaxies do that...

Andromeda which is even bigger than our galaxy is literally on a collision course towards the milky way... But orbits of solar systems will readjust themselves. Galaxies colliding isn't a physical impact like a car crash (tho I'm sure some individual solar systems that are in the wrong spot could be thrown into chaos)

Space will look extremely different in a few billion years... Galaxies that are close enough to eachother are colliding (unless they are in orbit of eachother)....

Galaxies that are further apart are getting further and further from eachother due to the expansion of space. 

Eventually space will be just large clumps of big galaxies and extremely huge empty spaces until the next clump

I've read before that in several billion years the galaxies in our local group is all we will be able to observe... Every other galaxy will be out of visual range due to space expansion

Sis I know I'm a nerd too lol . It's not happening NOW  :)

• Like 1

Eggsy
54 minutes ago, Economy said:

They have recent found another dwarf planet in our solar system :O

https://www.universetoday.com/140152/new-dwarf-planet-found-in-the-outskirts-of-the-solar-system-giving-astronomers-more-ammunition-to-search-for-evidence-of-planet-9/