💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

ROMA Netflix Movie

warioaddams

Featured Posts

warioaddams

Movie about the story of Cleo, a housekeeper that works for a family. It portrays the life in México City during the 70's. I really loved it. There's a lot of emotion and reality to it.

The movie just won best foreign film at the Critic's choice awards and it's expected to win the same category at the Oscars.

Have you watched it and what did you think about it?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FlopSlurper

I'm gonna watch it "hopefully" after Gaga/ASIB win the Oscars they deserve. If I watch it now I'm gonna be biased and hate it and be petty and all that. :poot: 

WorstBehavior

I have not. But I will. I want to watch all the movies that will be nominated for Best Picture. Roma looks great. I’ve never watched a film in black and white. But this looks aesthetically beautiful. So I will check it. Besides, Roma could be the first foreign film to win Best Picture at the Oscars.

KatieJudasGaga4

My friends told me that they liked the acting, but not the plot of the movie, so idk maybe I'll watch it.

I watched it yesterday and I think it is pretentious as hell. :vegas:  I don't understand how they got away with making a movie with no plot whatsoever. 

Not my type of movie at all.

Kindness rules all.

Bradley

It won Best Picture at the Critics' Choice Awards, not just Best Foreign Language Film, I think. The latter is a category at the Golden Globes, which they won as well.

I did see it and I guess you really have to keep an open mind while watching movies like this, I mean it's a movie with characters that speak Spanish in black-and-white, and the nature of the movie really couldn't be further from mainstream tastes.

I do appreciate the message of the movie, and how it gives us an insight into the life an ordinary housemaid, something that isn't portrayed a lot in Hollywood. Usually Hollywood portrays ordinary characters who ultimately become successful or famous or something but this isn't that, this is a movie about normalcy and the emotions of someone with whom maybe we can't relate that much. I mean of course we have seen maids in movies but when are they ever the leads? How do they actually feel, knowing that they have to always serve and be polite to their employers and that even though it's not explicitly prohibited, as a maid you'd have to know your place and not be too expressive about your actions and demeanor, because those are reserved for wealthier personas of a higher social class.

And this is not a movie about a person in servitude being abused and such either, the employers are actually very respectful towards Cleo but you can't help but feel a sense of Cleo being suppressed in some way, mentally and psychologically, even though there is no outward expression of abusive or belittling behaviour conducted towards her, you walk away feeling sympathy and respect for this woman. Really this character, Cleo, is probably in her late 30s or 40s and they might work as a maid until they retire, and unlike most modern women, who get to meet friends or attend meetings or have a night out at the bar on weekends and express their creative ideas, housemaids don't enjoy any of those.

The pacing is a little too slow for mainstream audiences but if Alfonso did it any differently, it would have just looked like any other Hollywood movie. It's just my two cents on the movie but I did appreciate the choices Alfonso made.

I watched like 3 days ago, It wasn’t bad, but it’s boring. It has good directing. Plot is like ordinary life, not that much history in the movie, I like the representation of Latin indigenous women on it. Don’t know how would I feel if it wins Best Picture a the Oscars against ASIB (If both get nominated). 

Loved it! I agree that the pace is REALLY slow but the third act is so rewarding that it seems worth it in the end. The imagery, the symbolism, the cinematography, the acting, the screenplay were all top notch but it's a hard movie to be fully engrossed in because most of it is just a woman living her life as a servant, not to mention it's in Spanish and black and white.

Del Toro (last Best Picture winner) did an analytical thread on it recently and it made me appreciate the movie a lot more.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ

Lion Heart

It's beautiful. I encourage people to keep an open mind and give the movie a shot. 

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Reject False Icons

It's pretty entertaining when you understand the culture and you are not just looking for the same story :madge:

RAMROD

Y'all :giggle: It's been on Netflix for 2 months now. What took y'all so long? :diane:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

1 hour ago, Poker said:

I watched it yesterday and I think it is pretentious as hell. :vegas:  I don't understand how they got away with making a movie with no plot whatsoever. 

Not my type of movie at all.

why did you think it was pretentious?

And no plot? The girl got pregnant, her lover left her and she gave birth to a dead baby.

I'm not coming for your opinion but it's a beautiful homage to thousands of latin american women who have had a very similar and rough life. My old maids went through a very similar experience. It made me cry and it really shows a side of my culture that you'll never see on screen like that. It's really powerful, empowering and beautiful.

It obviously has some flaws which I think americans won't care about so I think it could win BP.

underneath the pine

Archived