Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

What's wrong morally on Lady Gaga's Judas?

GagaExGaga

Featured Posts

SharkmanthaC
16 minutes ago, Sharyu said:

Some people have a foot fetish.

I think this is a bit of a reach. This was not meant to be a sexualized thing, but symbolism in the religious act.

she/her/hers

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think everyones responses here are so great and gonna get you that 100% on the assignment. Once you explain why others think its morally wrong, you should go on a tangent about how the song + video tell a story about loving & forgiving your betrayer because that is what Jesus would/has done. Even if you get stones thrown at you (the end of the video). It seems to me like the whole time Jesus is convincing Mary to accept and love Judas and when she shoots him with the lipstick gun, she collapses because she thinks she did the right thing but that was not what Jesus wanted. Then, she washes both of their feet in harmony and her sins are washed away when the water pulls her down. That's how I see it. I dunno. Please post your paper when you're done, I'd love to read it :) 

omg why is princess is princess high my new nickname

5 hours ago, Batwings said:

As Gaga has said many times, the song is entirely metaphorical. She's not literally saying she loves Judas and not Jesus. It's all a metaphor for choosing the wrong guy over the right guy.

However, if you want to get really technical, there are allusions to murder ("sink a dead body"), loving a false prophet ("I'll wash is feet with my hair if he needs"), acknowledging one's own sinful nature ("beyond repentance," "prostitute wench").

Exactly. 

I live outside the space time continuum.

KatieJudasGaga4
9 hours ago, Lippoutou said:

All Catholics are Christians

Yes, but she is mainly Catholic. I know they are Christians, but there are many differences between those two religions.

Lippoutou
6 hours ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

Yes, but she is mainly Catholic. I know they are Christians, but there are many differences between those two religions.

Like what ?

They aren't two different religions. We can talk about the differences between Catholicism and Protestantism but it makes no sense to compare it to Christianity.

You can compare a square and a triangle but comparing them to polygons makes no since as all squares and triangles are necessarily polygons.

Space Cowboy

You better show out for the fandom henny. Don’t let that b*tch make you commit blasphemy against mother monsta!! (But also be cautious because you still want to pass :giggle:)

Judas Society

Judas was released on Easter and a song with the name Judas will raise lots of attention from religious folks because in the bible Judas was essentially a disloyal follower of Jesus who betrayed Jesus to the authorities which caused Jesus' death. So when a singer sings a lyric "I'm in love with Judas", it is bound to cause controversy no matter what the context of the song is about. The lyric was obviously metaphoric but the masses usually reacts without understanding the context of what they are reacting to.

I guess you could write about the mob mentality of the online users these days overreacting and judging without actually knowing the whole story. Passing judgement without understanding what's going on can ruin someone's life (career) as quick as a lightning because backlash can spread like wildfire in an instant especially in the fast paced online environment.

What’s morally wrong is that is a bop and y’all let it flop. I’ve done your work for you don’t thank me.

derpmonster

Morality is relative. I have thought about this song and video a lot. Depending on this assignment and context, you could explore (I don't necessarily agree with any of these; putting it out there):

- Appropriation of a living religion for your message/cause including misrepresentation at various points (she doesn't follow the original story and makes modifications). Some people could take issue with Jesus being portrayed as sexual. One thing to note is that from a Gospel found later, Jesus apparently was with Mary Magdalene, the hooker she portrays. They kill her with their stones at the end, but that's different from what happened in the canonical gospels. Mary walked with the risen Jesus.

- A possibly problematic moralistic view of sexuality. It's on the album Born This Way. When I first heard this song, I was closeted and religious and thought of it as being about being gay. My gay love is the "cruel" love I'm in love with even though it "betrays me" and makes me feel bad. Being gay was the Judas in me. Jesus represented my virtue, but Judas was the demon I clung to.

Again, this is probably not at all an intended meaning, but it is a meaningful reading of it. She was arguing for gay rights, so she speaks in future tense (in the cultural sense). Such an interpretation is possible especially on an album like Born This Way and it's obviously problematic (even though it gave me a voice and was relatable for me).

- Very dark themes and imagery about killing, etc. That's not morally wrong to me but again, this was made a single for public consumption. One could make an argument that she did this just to be provocative and that it is immoral.

Again, I don't think any of it is immoral but these are arguments you can present.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

That J

Judas is nothing more than a song comparing her wish to be for the light at all times but how her inside sometimes starves for the dark.

In the video that's represented by a Jesus figure/Judas motorcycle gang and she sticks by them both. She finally realizes her sin and Jesus blesses her which makes her fall apart and now her sin is known so she goes into the streets and is stoned to death for it.

What's most interesting is Jesus blessing her first....by laying his hand on her head. So even tho HE forgave her, the town couldnt and would not and they killed her.  

What's morally wrong about the video is the fact that people are too butthurt to understand it when the whole message is right there!

It's not the video itself that is wrong, it's the misplaced interpretation placed upon it.  

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

That J

And the fiction of the "controversy" really wasnt that big. The "church" issued one statement saying she had become a caricature of herself and is just pulling stunts. One even said "when Madonna did it at least it was interesting"..

Of course I disagree but truthfully that was the only response they gave. The song made the top ten and the video is a fan favorite. I've seen her in concert and JUDAS always gets a great response from the crowd.

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

Archived