Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

AHS: Hotel and Doing-Gender/Gender Studies

SwissMonster

Featured Posts

SwissMonster

Hey guys. A more serious thread for one time :vegas: So I have a class called „Media and Gender“ at my university. Wich basically is how Gender is shown in todays media (TV, Film, Music, Books, etc...) and all about stereotypes and non stereotypes. So to get my credit points for this class I have to do a presentation about that gender representation in Media. She told us that we are free to choose how we do it but she would like that we start with something we really like concerning this subject.

So what I thought about was choosing the one scene in AHS: Hotel with Liz Taylor and Gaga. Where you first follow Liz Taylor’s way to the Cortze and then the „glow up“ by Gaga. 

I just have a special connection with that scene cause idk, it’s really what made the identity of the character of Liz, specially her gender. In my view it shows a other way a person can be and not a wrong way a person can be (EDIT: even I know he is a trans women, I just wanna get to the point why it can not be a men, just wearing a dress?/what would be the different point of view)The questions coming out from this is what does it really need to be seen/accepted as a ....(Insert a Gender)? What stereotypes do automatically come up when you see a men in a dress? Etc... I think many things of the subject gender/sexuality can be brought up thanks to this scene.

But now I want a bit more points of views. And that’s why I need you. Why would you consider this as a special scene about, sexuality, and if possible even more about gender? What representation of gender is given here?

PS: I‘m sorry if there are some unclear points. I am not a native English speaker so, if you have questions to me about my goal or my subject please feel free to ask in order to help me :)

PPS: Idk if this is the right section on this website for this. Sorry if it isn’t :spin:

Also I thought about the scene where the witches from AHS: Apocalypse where Cordellia makes her speach about men and the fact that for one time (when she speaks about the supreme) women are stronger then men. Wich vision/representation of Gender is given there? 

What would you think about that?

SwissMonster®️ - Creating controversy since 1999

joannesrats

Well gender and sexuality have nothing to do with each other, so I don't know why you keep bringing up Liz' sexuality. But anyways, Liz is a trans woman. Not a man in a dress. 

SwissMonster
46 minutes ago, PhillipBagshaw said:

Well gender and sexuality have nothing to do with each other, so I don't know why you keep bringing up Liz' sexuality. But anyways, Liz is a trans woman. Not a man in a dress. 

I bring it up cause I take this sequence as a start for my presentation. Not saying especially Liz sexuality sorry. And I know he is not a men in a dress, but the question is much more why this can not be the case, why do a men, who sees himself as a men wear a dress without getting judged.

PS: I changed it to person cause it was leading to confusion. Sorry my fault

JazzGa
17 minutes ago, SwissMonster said:

I bring it up cause I take this sequence as a start for my presentation. Not saying especially Liz sexuality sorry. And I know he is not a men in a dress, but the question is much more why this can not be the case, why do a men, who sees himself as a men not wear a dress without getting juged

They do, (transvestites/cross-dressers: they wear opposite gendered clothes but retain their birth given pronouns) but they aren't represented in media very often. In fact, if you try to google it, you get results for "transgender" characters; Google does not even acknowledge the difference.

I think Rocky Horror Picture Show is literally the only media representation of a transvestite :smh:  And you could hardly call a sex-starved alien mad scientist a realistic portrayal of a person.  OH! And Eddie Izzard. But he's an actual person, not a character. But ya Liz Taylor is a trans woman, not a transvestite/cross-dresser. (You should refer to her with "she" pronouns when you talk about her BTW)

That might be an interesting idea for a supporting argument for one of your assignments-- compare and contrast media's representations of the two. 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

• Admin changed the title to AHS: Hotel and Doing-Gender/Gender Studies
SwissMonster
9 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

They do, (transvestites/cross-dressers: they wear opposite gendered clothes but retain their birth given pronouns) but they aren't represented in media very often. In fact, if you try to google it, you get results for "transgender" characters; Google does not even acknowledge the difference.

I think Rocky Horror Picture Show is literally the only media representation of a transvestite :smh:  And you could hardly call a sex-starved alien mad scientist a realistic portrayal of a person.  OH! And Eddie Izzard. But he's an actual person, not a character. But ya Liz Taylor is a trans woman, not a transvestite/cross-dresser. (You should refer to her with "she" pronouns when you talk about her BTW)

That might be an interesting idea for a supporting argument for one of your assignments-- compare and contrast media's representations of the two. 

But I wrote „her“ didn’t I?

Thank you for the feedback though :runhug: I hope it goes well :ohno:

JazzGa
Just now, SwissMonster said:

Omg so true, it’s she, thank you!

Yes that is the general rule for transgender people, call them by the pronoun that matches the gender they are expressing. But I don't remember what pronouns the other characters used to refer to her on the show. Do you remember if the other characters called Liz a "she" or a "he"? 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

SwissMonster
10 minutes ago, Satans Ex Wife said:

Yes that is the general rule for transgender people, call them by the pronoun that matches the gender they are expressing. But I don't remember what pronouns the other characters used to refer to her on the show. Do you remember if the other characters called Liz a "she" or a "he"? 

I Know, that’s why I was confused too! They call her she, 99% sure

Archived