Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Lana ditching USA flag visuals due to Trump

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

That J
13 minutes ago, Dominic Marc said:

On one hand it is understandable because it must be difficult to feel patriotism for a country you feel is diminishing under a Trump administration but on the other it equates the flag to such extremism and gives power to it, allowing it to define those values. Surely you would reject Trump and not the American values the flag symbolises? 

I'm not American so maybe i'm way off but :shrug:

I'm American you took the words out of my mouth.  That's my feel exactly.  Thank you

The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than The Driver Of The Screw

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ALGAYDO

I live in the States, and lemme just tell you, **** is way different now than it was just 2-3 years ago. Literally, none of my friends or relatives celebrated 4th of July, we just got high and looked at fireworks from afar, because it felt awkward being patriotic living in the current government and administration that's above us for the time being. 

SEXODUS

It's very admirable for her to speak her mind and let us all know where she stands in all of this but I think Trump will still sleep unbothered tonight. And those were indeed some beautiful flag visuals:selena:

Edonis

It is a little bit weird talking about patriotism in the current US political climate. I really do wonder how the election of Trump affected a lot of things in Americana art, even including Gaga and her promotion of Joanne. I get the feeling she was so sure about Clinton's victory during the election cycle that when Trump won, it kind of messed with her passion about the album that celebrated American culture and passion through the visuals and music. I wonder if it made her uncomfortable at times  well. 

Pamelaisley

The day after the election, her song American came on while I was listening to her and I just felt really weird singing, "Be proud, like an American" 

the moon lights her way 🌖🦇

gabeoz
1 hour ago, Dominic Marc said:

On one hand it is understandable because it must be difficult to feel patriotism for a country you feel is diminishing under a Trump administration but on the other it equates the flag to such extremism and gives power to it, allowing it to define those values. Surely you would reject Trump and not the American values the flag symbolises? 

I'm not American so maybe i'm way off but :shrug:

You do have a good point, but there's more to the other side to the symbolism argument. You have to considering the time period, recent events. Take the swastika for example, you wouldn't go waving that around would you? Because despite original beliefs, the symbolism has changed.

weed

Trump was too much despite the country being founded on murder and slavery :poot: I get it, but I'm also like ok girl...

gabeoz
1 hour ago, HOMODRAKE said:

I live in the States, and lemme just tell you, **** is way different now than it was just 2-3 years ago. Literally, none of my friends or relatives celebrated 4th of July, we just got high and looked at fireworks from afar, because it felt awkward being patriotic living in the current government and administration that's above us for the time being. 

The sad truth. While my family went out to a a BBQ and go watch a firework show, for the first time in my life I found myself sitting there at a computer, completely unmoved the large bangs in the background while eating a bowl macaroni and my birthday cake from the night before. Saldy, this was also the reality for most of my close friends. None of us cared anymore.

Pacify Him
34 minutes ago, Pamelaisley said:

The day after the election, her song American came on while I was listening to her and I just felt really weird singing, "Be proud, like an American" 

Never liked the song :applause: so cringey to listen to

I’m getting on your nerves

gabeoz
1 hour ago, M Monstre said:

I get where she's coming from, I mean, I don't even really celebrate the 4th of July, and not because it's Trump necessarily, but it's also mainly because I don't like the idea of nationalism to that grand of an extent. It's not me hating America (despite our problems, it's a fantastic country to live in), I don't know, I just don't like celebrating it.

On the other hand though, my initial reactions were that America =/= Trump. I get what she's saying about how our country's going to sh*t and how celebrating that could mean celebrating someone like Trump, and his viewpoints and all, but America is much bigger than Trump, and it should be much bigger than Trump. 

I've never been keen on the idea of strong nationalism. While it is always to fine to have a small amount, a large amount is dangerous to everyone because it creates that me or you attitude which is some of the most dangerous ideals as seen in recent history.

As for America needing to be bigger than Trump, I agree, it should. But that's sadly not the reality. It's hard to think past the orange bafoon entrenched in his own ego.

BBhomemaker

I thinked about that her song "God bless America (and all the beautiful woman in it)" Is for sure an answer to the scandal with Trump and his disrespect for the womens

Daredevil
19 minutes ago, neptugne said:

Trump was too much despite the country being founded on murder and slavery :poot: I get it, but I'm also like ok girl...

a lot of countries were founded on murder and slavery. I'm pretty sure there's no country with a "clean record". 

back on topic: she's right of course. i'm sorry to tell you this, but Trump has changed the world's perception of the US. We always knew you guys were warmongers, but now your administration is a bunch of climate agreement-breachers, healthcare-repealers, and election-fraudster too :selena:

ItsTommyBitch

Wait some of ya'll didn't celebrate the 4th either? Mess, I thought I was weird for sitting it out :rip:

OT:

I fully get what's shes saying... He says its hard to be romantic, but I think everyone knows its more like "how can you romanticize America" because there's nothing to romanticize anymore and romanticizing the flag would put out the wrong message at the moment. I don't think its a matter of "This flag = America, America = bad so don't show the flag", its about sensitivity. To me, Lana is the kind of person who loves aesthetic, nostalgia, memories, stories, the past, etc... but she is not a "character" like many think she is. She doesnt go do coke on the weekends or anything like that, despite what her songs might tell you. She is a romantic in the sense that most writers are. Similarly, while I do think she's not all there yet politically, I know she is smart enough to understand that America has never been a perfect, free land. I think she loves the idea of it, so much more than the reality.

Lana is still a majorly privileged white woman, and shes still quite an enigma. I'm always very wary to make comments on her political views because she seems like such a mercurial woman that she can say things like "I'm not interested in Feminism" just because she is sad that day and not because she means it, but not feel the need to clarify... but her interviews this era have confirmed for me that she is socially aware and she actually does have really strong political feelings, but shes just now understanding that there is value in sharing them with the world. It might have taken her longer than most, but I love and appreciate her growth and journey. I'm a bit pressed she had 3 political tracks that she took off the record though :air:  WTW and GBA are actually both very subtly political; especially GBA, but very heavily inspired, and its clear that some of the lyrics are supposed to be vague which is lovely but frustrating :laughga: Overall though, this comes off to me as much more genuine than Katy, who was just literallyignorant and made a whole media spectacle out of her "journey" (though I do appreciate shes ON a journey, I don't love that it was marketed after some reflection)

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

Archived