💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The future of pop music: No more female artists?

Korok

Featured Posts

lost in limbo
1 minute ago, Morphine Prince said:

There are many songs now with diverse meanings though. Not all is about sex either. 

Those are overshadowed by the s*x ones. 

this is the state of grace, this is the worthwhile fight

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Versace

I mean overall yes but let us not discredit what Taylor, Adele and Beyonce bought to the scene these last few years. Adele is practically the most successful artist of the 2010's (sales wise). Taylor had 5 albums back to back be multi-million sellers in the U.S. Ever since Beyonce released her self-titled and follow up Lemonade, she has been the forefront of Pop Culture. The way I see it female artist are looked at as comic book heroes where as the males are just guys with guitars. The problem is this kind of appreciation is only reserved for a very few female artists. Rihanna remains to be a respect and loved figure ever since her career started. Male domination is a result of females relying on others such as labels and writers to find them the it sound. The opposite can also be a problem, female artist have a restricted creative input, labels want them to sell out and if they go against it then their labels don't give them the push they deserve. The industry went from a V.I.P table of pop gladiators such as Madonna, Gaga, Britney, kesha to name a few to a game that is based on sound and catering to the youth. The youth of today are not here for an artist to express or elaborate. The demand to follow trends have crippled albums by those who used to set the trends. Albums that suffered include Gaga's ARTPOP, Christina's Bionic, Britney's Britney Jean, Beyonce's 4 and many more. Whether the albums were good or not is subjective however I find it odd how these artists go from 100 to zero, with no happy medium. It just goes to show that the GP never truly appreciate an artist, loyal music fans are a thing of the past. I think the best thing to do is appeal trendy but sound unique. Artists like Melanie Martinez and Alessia Cara are doing this well and while they may not be selling out arenas they are solidating themselves in a cut throat industry. We can only hope that artist come together to set new trends instead of relying on the producers that ultimately overshadow them with computed sounds. 

Morphine Prince
Just now, bloodymario said:

Those are overshadowed by the s*x ones. 

As are the female Pop star songs. 

There is almost no difference. 

And not necessarily either.

Kendrick Lamar's "Humble" rejects the standars and talks about "no Photoshop" and being real and down to Earth. 

Future's "Mask Off" is about rags to riches and being real

Many other songs like Paris are simply about relationships and contain no sex lines. 

lost in limbo
Just now, Morphine Prince said:

As are the female Pop star songs. 

There is almost no difference. 

And not necessarily either.

Kendrick Lamar's "Humble" rejects the standars and talks about "no Photoshop" and being real and down to Earth. 

Future's "Mask Off" is about rags to riches and being real

Many other songs like Paris are simply about relationships and contain no sex lines. 

Relationships are also flooding music. Humble and Mask Off are an exception of successful songs that aren´t about s*x, parties OR love relationships, but let´s not ignore the rest. 

Dorothy Gale
6 minutes ago, Versace said:

I mean overall yes but let us not discredit what Taylor, Adele and Beyonce bought to the scene these last few years. Adele is practically the most successful artist of the 2010's (sales wise). Taylor had 5 albums back to back be multi-million sellers in the U.S. Ever since Beyonce released her self-titled and follow up Lemonade, she has been the forefront of Pop Culture. The way I see it female artist are looked at as comic book heroes where as the males are just guys with guitars. The problem is this kind of appreciation is only reserved for a very few female artists. Rihanna remains to be a respect and loved figure ever since her career started. Male domination is a result of females relying on others such as labels and writers to find them the it sound. The opposite can also be a problem, female artist have a restricted creative input, labels want them to sell out and if they go against it then their labels don't give them the push they deserve. The industry went from a V.I.P table of pop gladiators such as Madonna, Gaga, Britney, kesha to name a few to a game that is based on sound and catering to the youth. The youth of today are not here for an artist to express or elaborate. The demand to follow trends have crippled albums by those who used to set the trends. Albums that suffered include Gaga's ARTPOP, Christina's Bionic, Britney's Britney Jean, Beyonce's 4 and many more. Whether the albums were good or not is subjective however I find it odd how these artists go from 100 to zero, with no happy medium. It just goes to show that the GP never truly appreciate an artist, loyal music fans are a thing of the past. I think the best thing to do is appeal trendy but sound unique. Artists like Melanie Martinez and Alessia Cara are doing this well and while they may not be selling out arenas they are solidating themselves in a cut throat industry. We can only hope that artist come together to set new trends instead of relying on the producers that ultimately overshadow them with computed sounds. 

First things first, Taylor released her last album in 2014, and hasn't had a huge hit since Style in 2015. Beyonce hasn't had a huge hit either, and manages to sell albums through viral marketing campaigns. Adele is an exception to every rule in the industry, and is not a good benchmark for anyone, her sales defy industry rules. 

Morphine Prince
1 minute ago, bloodymario said:

Relationships are also flooding music. Humble and Mask Off are an exception of successful songs that aren´t about s*x, parties OR love relationships, but let´s not ignore the rest. 

Most popular songs tend to be about relationships though. 

Gaga's singles are mostly about relationships. 

Most Pop music is about love and sex. 

Morphine Prince
3 minutes ago, Dorothy Gale said:

First things first, Taylor released her last album in 2014, and hasn't had a huge hit since Style in 2015. Beyonce hasn't had a huge hit either, and manages to sell albums through viral marketing campaigns. Adele is an exception to every rule in the industry, and is not a good benchmark for anyone, her sales defy industry rules. 

Bad Blood? 

Wildest Dreams? 

Dorothy Gale

Bad Blood? 

Wildest Dreams? 

Male feature, and Wildest Dreams was far from a smash. 

Dorothy Gale

Was Cheap Thrills the last number one song by a woman? And even that has a male feature. If you're not a woman collaborating with a man or Adele, getting a #1 song is nearly impossible nowadays. Why didn't The Cure go straight to #1 like SOY or TWIL. Are Bruno Mars and Ed Sheeran just making better music than everyone else? No way, Joanne is better than anything they've ever put out, but of course Gaga is a gay icon, so she's never going to reach the mainstream heterosexual males. 

lost in limbo

Most popular songs tend to be about relationships though. 

Gaga's singles are mostly about relationships. 

Most Pop music is about love and sex. 

Let´s not. Gaga´s singles are about relationships since when? Superficially yes, but every Gaga song has a true deep meaning, and The Cure is her first true love song, so what are you talking about? :oprah:

And you probably haven´t heard past pop music :sharon:

Korok

Let's not forget that Gaga's music was/is hypersexualized, too. Gaga already admitted in an interview that she has purposely sexually objectified herself in the past through her music and image. She's also defended her stance, claiming that sex isn't a distraction. You can't really say that pop music is more or less sexualized now, it's always gravitated towards it because "sex sells". 

Morphine Prince
3 minutes ago, Dorothy Gale said:

Male feature, and Wildest Dreams was far from a smash. 

What's wrong with the male feature? The song was gonna smash even without Kendrick tbh. 

But I guess you're just looking at solo female songs. 

Dorothy Gale

Gaga might never get another #1 single, even getting a top 5 hit was difficult. ebPmIxT.gif

Dorothy Gale

But I guess you're just looking at solo female songs. 

Yeah, I mean how many solo female songs have been smashes in 2015-2017? One? It's ridiculous, and if Taylor doesn't debut at #1, female pop is officially dead. Ri and Bey are hardly pop, even Ariana is not full pop. Katy, Taylor and Gaga are our only pure pop females, and they can't smash. 

Morphine Prince
2 minutes ago, bloodymario said:

Let´s not. Gaga´s singles are about relationships since when? Superficially yes, but every Gaga song has a true deep meaning, and The Cure is her first true love song, so what are you talking about? :oprah:

And you probably haven´t heard past pop music :sharon:

Poker Face, Lovegame, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, Telephone, Alejandro, TEOG, You and I, G.U..Y. , Perfect Illusion, The Cure 

:rip:  

Of course they all have different meanings too (why do you think I stan her?) 

And excuse you? You have no clue what I listen to. I have heard a lot of past Pop music. 

Archived