💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Record Labels Trying To Keep Artists From 6-9 Years Ago Alive? No New Stars

Economy

Featured Posts

Economy

Heres a list of the huge number of relevant artists that came out in the last decade that have maintained popularity. Years based off first top 10 hit or first year of media buzz:

Rihanna: 13 Years 

Taylor Swift: 10 years

Katy Perry: 9 years

Lady Gaga: 9 years

Justin Bieber: 8 years

Drake: 7 years

Bruno Mars: 7 years

Adele: 6 years

Selena Gomes: 5 years (10 years counting acting career)

New artists from last 5 years have failed to stay relevant as we discussed in a thread last week and without building solid fan bases the big money maker (touring) is weak and record labels suffer

Its weird that such a high number of artists from the time span above remained relevant and still the most recognized names today. Are labels trying to keep them alive because they cant create new stars that last?

The Weeknd seems to be the only newer artist that appears to be remaining in solid footing and to a smaller degree Ariana Grande

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Economy

Also if im forgetting anyone on that list say so, so that i can add them.

They have to still be relevant to qualify so someone like Miley Cyrus who went off the grid (even tho it appears to of been intentional) does not count despite having been big and coming out in this time span

Economy
1 minute ago, Majora said:

Ariana? :huh:

Werent her first hits less than 5 years ago? Unless i missed one

Noah
Just now, Economy said:

Werent her first hits less than 5 years ago? Unless i missed one

Put Your Hearts Up was released end of 2012.

The Way (her first chart entry) was released March 2013

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

JustAnotherDay

Honestly, no new artists really interest me at all. None of them seem as there (if you know what I mean) as stars like Gaga or Katy or Rih. I want big artists who everyone talks about again, I feel like the last time that happened was 2013.

was NickARTPOP

Batwings

I was thinking about this earlier today. It seems we've entered a phase where there is a substantial differentiation between singles artists (artists who are noted for hit singles) and albums artists (artists who are noted for hit albums), wherein albums artists are the ones who have more longevity, whereas singles artists consist mainly of flash-in-the-pan acts. Obviously, this isn't true 100% across the board, but it's been trending that way. 

Economy
1 minute ago, Noah said:

Put Your Hearts Up was released end of 2012.

The Way (her first chart entry) was released March 2013

Ok so thats the time span i found when i searched too

that would make her original success only 4 years old and already shes struggled

although its too early to say shes slipped into irrelevancy. She could still pop a hit

Noah
Just now, Economy said:

that would make her original success only 4 years old and already shes struggled

although its too early to say shes slipped into irrelevancy. She could still pop a hit

I am actually (looking back) a bit underwhelmed by what she did after the Release of Into You. S2S took much of promo and a video that was beneath her. Everyday flopped and is a horrible Single choice.

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

TheKillerQueen

It's hard for someone to become big cause of streaming and nobody buys physical albums anymore. Social media had put a dent on artists being hugely successful. But I agree that nobody new that has came around is interesting enough, like GaGa in 2008

Lace up my boots, throw on some leather and cruise.

Economy
1 minute ago, Batwings said:

I was thinking about this earlier today. It seems we've entered a phase where there is a substantial differentiation between singles artists (artists who are noted for hit singles) and albums artists (artists who are noted for hit albums), wherein albums artists are the ones who have more longevity, whereas singles artists consist mainly of flash-in-the-pan acts. Obviously, this isn't true 100% across the board, but it's been trending that way. 

That wouldnt be the first time its happened tho.

Britney Spears in early career really only had a few hits but was always relevant in media and sold well

its also often been common with rap and hip-hop artists

Taylor Swift was a decent album seller as early as 2006 when no one outside country really knew her until 2007

Economy
1 minute ago, TheKillerQueen said:

It's hard for someone to become big cause of streaming and nobody buys physical albums anymore. Social media had put a dent on artists being hugely successful. But I agree that nobody new that has came around is interesting enough, like GaGa in 2008

People not buying physical albums in itself isnt the issue. That just means less revenue is made that way but as long as the music is accessed they can be just as popular

the issue with streaming is that if a label chooses an artist they wanna promote hard because they think they have what it takes, its harder for Labels to shuve a specific artists down peoples throats because people can access whatever they want

it has reduced labels influence in creating new big artists

And because only big artists tour big... I think Labels are trying harder to maintain their popular older artists relevant as long as possible

Born To Slay
5 minutes ago, Economy said:

Dangerous Women was a perfectly successful album. 1 billion streams on Spotify, 1 million albums sold WW, 3 top 15 hits and a successful arena tour. While it is less successful then the ME era, She's no where near irrelevant. 

Born To Slay

That said, I agree record labels are struggling to get new acts longevity. 

Archived