Featured Posts

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeanWinchester
1 minute ago, Enigma said:

One video.

A critic on Telephone (Video)

With "Telephone," Gaga has entered the rarest of pop stratospheres, up there with the Madonnas and the, gasp, Michael Jacksons. I'm not comparing talent, just ability: ability to wow, to enthrall and put on a show ā€” one I can only hope is continued sometime very soon.

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/1633772/lady-gaga-premieres-epic-outrageous-telephone-video/

It's not just whether there are explicit similarities, but also in channeling their performances.

Let me ask you this: Gaga also cited Britney as an inspiration. Where in Gaga's art and singing do we see that, though? Gaga cites a lot of artists but they don't shine through as much as Madonna's. Iron Maiden? Yes, she can sing metal and rock. Has she actually showcased them? Perfect Illusion is the closest we got outside of covers. Again, I am not claiming Madonna is the sole major influence--but she definitely is one of them.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

GagaTheExplorer
1 hour ago, Britney Spears said:

Til 2011 she was a HUGE influence on Gaga.Now not really

cause gaga is trying to distance herself from madonna as much as she can, cause of all the comparison during the born this way era, this really made gaga take paths that werent too smart

DeanWinchester
4 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The fact that they do similar things in their personal life does not mean much here.

Acting isn't "personal" life. It's part of their profession and their medium of expressing their art.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Just now, A Gaga Lad said:

A critic on Telephone (Video)

Ā 

Ā 

Source: http://www.mtv.com/news/1633772/lady-gaga-premieres-epic-outrageous-telephone-video/

It's not just whether there are explicit similarities, but also in channeling their performances.

Let me ask you this: Gaga also cited Britney as an inspiration. Where in Gaga's art and singing do we see that, though? Gaga cites a lot of artists but they don't shine through as much as Madonna's. Iron Maiden? Yes, she can sing metal and rock. Has she actually showcased them? Perfect Illusion is the closest we got outside of covers. Again, I am not claiming Madonna is the sole major influence--but she definitely is one of them.

When she performs she is more of a rockstar than a popstar.

Omar Vela
13 minutes ago, lego said:

Ā 

Ā 

Oh wow, the last one.Ā :udidnt:

Yes, it's very funny how nobody knows about Carra influence in Gaga's imagery haha and not just on Gaga...
3971744793_320e833146_z.jpg?zz=1

Raffaella+Carra1.jpg

Raffaella+Carra10.jpg

MadonnayRaffaella2.jpg

Acting isn't "personal" life. It's part of their profession and their medium of expressing their art.

So because some wants to act that means they were influenced by Madonna?

DeanWinchester
Just now, Enigma said:

So because some wants to act that means they were influenced by Madonna?

why do actors want to act? why do teachers want to teach? why do people take up the professions they want to take? because somebody influenced them

Am I claiming it's Madonna alone? No. But this sure debunks the claims here being thrown around that aside from some songs and imagery, there is nothing else in common with them.

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Supersonic

Madonna for sure is an influence, Madonna has practically influenced any artist after the 1980's. But I do agree with OP to some extent, some people give Madonna's influence way more credit than they deserve.

When I see Gaga, I see a bit of Whitney, a bit of Bowie, a bit of Elton John, a bit of Ella Fitzgerald, a bit of Michael Jackson, a bit of Bruce Springsteen, a bit of Freddie Mercury and a bit of Madonna.

Plus I'm 100% on the fact that Whitney arguably influenced Gaga more than Madonna ever did in terms of singing/technique and acting.

why do actors want to act? why do teachers want to teach? why do people take up the professions they want to take? because somebody influenced them

Am I claiming it's Madonna alone? No. But this sure debunks the claims here being thrown around that aside from some songs and imagery, there is nothing else in common with them.

Once again having things in common is not the same as influence.

DeanWinchester
Just now, Enigma said:

Once again having things in common is not the same as influence.

"Gaga and Bowie just happened to be two different singers who dress weird. Bowie isn't an influence." is what you're saying
Ā 

You are choosing to deny similarity as an indicator of influence when it comes to Madonna but let's see what your side has for arguments:

4 minutes ago, Omar Vela said:

Yes, it's very funny how nobody knows about Carra influence in Gaga's imagery haha and not just on Gaga...
3971744793_320e833146_z.jpg?zz=1

Raffaella+Carra1.jpg

Raffaella+Carra10.jpg

MadonnayRaffaella2.jpg

^states influence: shows imagery that are found in both. Not even songs--just images. So Madonna is influenced by Carra because of the same imagery but Gaga is not influenced by Madonna even when it comes to similar imagery?

56 minutes ago, Gohan said:

27E4B1F500000578-2276337-image-a-13_1429

34f0f910f71d3c8705d7ee4e80388cb9.jpg

bowie-glam-rock-6.jpg

Stop giving Madonna all the credit

^shows imagery similar to Gaga to support that it's not just Madonna who influenced Gaga

Until you can show consistency in categorizing which arguments count for shite, I'm out of this thread

Frank-Underwood-Closing-Door-House-of-Ca

Ā 

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Didymus

"I would like to thank Andy Warhol, David Bowie, Prince, Madonna, and Chanel." - 2008 (The Fame liner notes)

"Grace Jones, David Bowie, Madonna." - 2008 (when asked: "Who would you say are your influences?")

"The artists that for me have been the most influential, I mean like Madonna, David Bowie.. I mean, of course I love them for their music, and not to sound vain or shallow, but I'm almost more appreciative of their work because of their visuals. I mean, it completely changes the way that you listen to the music." - 2009

"Vincent Herbert, who signed me, got us the Record Plant [studio], I felt like I was, you know, Madonna in 1985." - 2009

"You guys don't understand, I'm going to be like Madonna." - 2009

"I'm a huge fan [of Madonna], as you already know." - 2009

"What's a party without a Madonnathon? I don't know. [...] You don't get any better than Madonna." - 2009

"Madonna is a wonderful, wonderful person. And she is so full of the most wonderful freedom and spirit, and she's so kind, and working with her has always been very exciting and very fun. And we have shared some wonderful honest moments together. She comes to my shows, I ask her questions, she's given me advice." - 2010 @Unwavering

"I think Madonna's great. She's been a wonderful friend and very kind and supportive, and amazing, and she's such an incredible woman." - 2010 @Unwavering

"I want [my outfit] to be like an ode to Madonna." - 2009 (talking about a conically shaped bra, which has been a recurring element in her outfits since 2009)

"I admire Madonna and the way she reinvents herself and kick ass, I want to do that and be even bigger." - 2010

"I donā€™t want to sound presumptuous, but Iā€™ve made it my goal to revolutionize pop music. The last revolution was launched by Madonna 25 years ago." - 2010

"I was thinking about Madonna, she was a big inspiration and I was thinking about Prince when I was writing [Born This Way]." - 2011

"You know, there is really no one that is a more adoring and loving Madonna fan than me. I am the hugest fan personally and professionally." - 2011

"I love Madonna. Of course I do. She's so brave. She was so brave. And I, every day, when I'm working think about bravery. [...] She's really so talented and such an inspiration and I only hope I can be half as inspiring as she's been." - 2011

"I genuinely love [Madonna] so much. I think she is so amazing. She could never be replicated and, yes, Iā€™m Italian, Iā€™m from New York, and not for nothing, itā€™s not my fault that I kind of look like her, right? So, look, if anything, itā€™s more annoying to me that people would insinuate that I donā€™t like to be compared to herā€¦ Sheā€™s wonderful and inspiring and liberating, and sheā€™s certainly inspired my (ā€˜Born This Wayā€™) album, as did David Bowie, as did Prince, as did Michael Jackson, as did Grace Jones, and I would never take that away." - 2011

She was always included (except past the "reductive" mess) as part of her biggest influences. Give it the **** up and get your embarrassing ass off this forum, all you have to contribute is cynicism, lies, and bull sh-t about other artists, as well as aggrandized fantasies about Gaga that are only mentioned to bring down her competition.

Consider me back on this forum whenever I get the chance to clock Enigma, though the real ****ing enigma is why this member - who legit does nothing else but make these threads over and over and over and over and over and over and mother****ing over again - is still here when so many other great members have died under the mods' scythe for far lesser reasons.

Ā 

59 minutes ago, M D N A said:

You obviously care enough to be here posting sh*t about her and commenting in every post that Gaga is more talented like you have to lift Gaga up by bringing Madonna down. Sounds like a hater to me.

I was trying to have a conversation with you? It's the first time I've commented on how capable Gaga is on this forum and it's been in this conversation since you also seem to raise Madonna more than needed. Yes, I won't mention Madonna's character anymore cause it's pointless. But I said Gaga is more talented than Madonna because she is and you don't seem to comprehend that. I can give you enough reason to support my claim. You don't even make a claim at all, you just seem to attack me. So who's the hater now?

13 minutes ago, Didymus said:

She was always included (except past the"reductive" mess) as part of her biggest influences. Give it the **** up and get your embarrassing ass off this forum, all you have to contribute is cynicism, lies, and bull sh-t about other artists, as well as aggrandized fantasies about Gaga that are only mentioned to bring down her competition.

You do realize that people in interviews and even fans ask her constantly about Madonna. Gaga is a humble and kind soul, you wouldn't see her make derogatory remarks about others very often, not if there's not a very good reason to. She's just answering the questions. Refusing to answer these comparisons would put her in a bad light, even worse if she decides to dismiss them in a rude way.Ā Of course Madonna inspired her, but to state that Madonna is the biggest influence (some saying it's the only one) it's a bit far fetched. I believe that all artists contributed in a way to our Gaga and saying no Madonna = no Gaga is a bit insulting. Also, those quotes are pre born this way era as I see, before Madonna has shown her 'true' face.

I came on this forum to have some quality fun with other Gaga fans and all I see is unnecessary hate, silly comparisons and trolling. I expected a bit more from all of you.

DeanWinchester
4 minutes ago, Didymus said:

"I would like to thank Andy Warhol, David Bowie, Prince, Madonna, and Chanel." - 2008 (The Fame liner notes)

"Grace Jones, David Bowie, Madonna." - 2008 (when asked: "Who would you say are your influences?")

"The artists that for me have been the most influential, I mean like Madonna, David Bowie.. I mean, of course I love them for their music, and not to sound vain or shallow, but I'm almost more appreciative of their work because of their visuals. I mean, it completely changes the way that you listen to the music." - 2009

"Vincent Herbert, who signed me, got us the Record Plant [studio], I felt like I was, you know, Madonna in 1985." - 2009

"You guys don't understand, I'm going to be like Madonna." - 2009

"I'm a huge fan [of Madonna], as you already know." - 2009

"What's a party without a Madonnathon? I don't know. [...] You don't get any better than Madonna." - 2009

"Madonna is a wonderful, wonderful person. And she is so full of the most wonderful freedom and spirit, and she's so kind, and working with her has always been very exciting and very fun. And we have shared some wonderful honest moments together. She comes to my shows, I ask her questions, she's given me advice." - 2010 @Unwavering

"I think Madonna's great. She's been a wonderful friend and very kind and supportive, and amazing, and she's such an incredible woman." - 2010 @Unwavering

"I want [my outfit] to be like an ode to Madonna." - 2009 (talking about a conically shaped bra, which has been a recurring element in her outfits since 2009)

"I admire Madonna and the way she reinvents herself and kick ass, I want to do that and be even bigger." - 2010

"I donā€™t want to sound presumptuous, but Iā€™ve made it my goal to revolutionize pop music. The last revolution was launched by Madonna 25 years ago." - 2010

"I was thinking about Madonna, she was a big inspiration and I was thinking about Prince when I was writing [Born This Way]." - 2011

"You know, there is really no one that is a more adoring and loving Madonna fan than me. I am the hugest fan personally and professionally." - 2011

"I love Madonna. Of course I do. She's so brave. She was so brave. And I, every day, when I'm working think about bravery. [...] She's really so talented and such an inspiration and I only hope I can be half as inspiring as she's been." - 2011

"I genuinely love [Madonna] so much. I think she is so amazing. She could never be replicated and, yes, Iā€™m Italian, Iā€™m from New York, and not for nothing, itā€™s not my fault that I kind of look like her, right? So, look, if anything, itā€™s more annoying to me that people would insinuate that I donā€™t like to be compared to herā€¦ Sheā€™s wonderful and inspiring and liberating, and sheā€™s certainly inspired my (ā€˜Born This Wayā€™) album, as did David Bowie, as did Prince, as did Michael Jackson, as did Grace Jones, and I would never take that away." - 2011

She was always included (except past the "reductive" mess) as part of her biggest influences. Give it the **** up and get your embarrassing ass off this forum, all you have to contribute is cynicism, lies, and bull sh-t about other artists, as well as aggrandized fantasies about Gaga that are only mentioned to bring down her competition.

Consider me back on this forum whenever I get the chance to clock Enigma, though the real ****ing enigma is why this member - who legit does nothing else but make these threads over and over and over and over and over and over and mother****ing over again - is still here when so many other great members have died under the mods' scythe for far lesser reasons.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Scalp them, Didymus!

:reductive:

Ā 

Flyin' like a 1000 Doves

Archived