💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

American Life vs American Idiot

SirLudicopro

Featured Posts

Batwings

It's pleasantly surprising to me that American Life has become so widely regarded by fans years later because upon its release, there was a lot of mixed reception of the album, even among hardcore Madonna fans. Many fans found the album lyrically "cheesy" and were tired of the sound of Mirwais's production. Many people were also confused by the album because it seemed as if Madonna was trying to create a concept album, but some of the songs didn't quite adhere to the concept being put forth. People like to point fingers at the GP, but the truth of the matter is that for the most part, the GP really didn't even know the album existed. None of the songs were widely played on the radio, and Madonna pulled the original video for "American Life" before any significant controversy erupted. (In my opinion, she should NEVER have done that -- that video is one of her absolute best, but at the time, with the tense political atmosphere, it suppose it seemed to be the wisest choice.) As for why the songs and other videos were never widely played, I think it all was a combination of a boycott (many radio DJs at the time told fans that they were encouraged to avoid playing Madonna's music), ageism, and sexism.

In summation, there were a lot of factors that kept the album from being a true hit, and those factors weren't completely limited to the GP.

As for Green Day's American Idiot, I don't think one should immediately dismiss the album's success. That album is truly Green Day's magnum opus. The entirety of the album follows a clear conceptual narrative, and the tone of the entire album perfectly captures the societal rage from the Bush Jr. years. I know I'm biased here because it's one of my Top 5 favorite albums of all time, but I can listen to it now, and to me, it sounds just as fresh and invigorating as it did when it was first released.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hexxx
2 hours ago, Snow said:

Btw here's The vid that broke ALL hell loose. 

American Life was the album i overlooked. I never understood this video. What's with the models and the bathroom scene

Lady Gaga/ Madonna/Lana /Azealia Banks/ Jazmine Sullivan/ DEEE-LITE/ Moko

Ciccone Madonna

Well, bishes. The expert arrived.

American Life was released in April 2003  around the time US invaded Iraq and  the album got backlash because of it. 

American Copycat Idiot was released in Sept.2004.

Take also in account that is more cool a hipster punk rock band releasing that kind of music is more accepted than the Queen of Commercial pop.

Enough said. My second favourite Madonna album easily.

This song>>>>>your lives.

AJH219

I only started to give American Life the credit it deserves last year. Truly can't believe I threw it under the bus for sooo long :giveup: It is not an album I listen to often though. I have to be in one of those "fvck everything" moods if that makes sense....As far as American Idiot, well it doesn't sound appealing at all considering Madonna did it first :sis: Also Easy Ride >>>> :giveup: 

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

Batwings

All these people saying that Green Day copied Madonna when the two albums are almost nothing alike... :saladga:

This is why people don't take pop stans seriously...

Ciccone Madonna
1 minute ago, Batwings said:

All these people saying that Green Day copied Madonna when the two albums are almost nothing alike... :saladga:

This is why people don't take pop stans seriously...

who gives a double f### for mainstream trying to seem hipster bands.

:hor:

Batwings
1 minute ago, Ciccone Madonna said:

who gives a double f### for mainstream trying to seem hipster bands.

:hor:

I really hope you're joking...

Ciccone Madonna
Just now, Batwings said:

I really hope you're joking...

I am not. Everyone has an opinion as everyone has an asshole.:hor:

Batwings
Just now, Ciccone Madonna said:

I am not. Everyone has an opinion as everyone has an asshole.:hor:

What I'm trying to say is that several people in this thread are trying to compare the two albums while some have even admitted that they haven't listened to Green Day's album. Sure, everyone has an opinion, but not every opinion is valid.

RAMROD

Ideally I would choose neither, AI is condescending while AL is simply stupid.

BUT, out of the two, I'll choose AI, at least they make a point and not about they drive a mini cooper and drink soy late wtf lmao

Lucky that album have better songs, such as Nothing Fails which is my favourite ever.

As far as American government diss songs, I will always choose Marilyn Manson's Burning Flag.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

Mister Gaga
5 hours ago, Snow said:

Btw here's The vid that broke ALL hell loose. 

OMG. This is the definition of controversial :firega:

AJH219
3 hours ago, Batwings said:

What I'm trying to say is that several people in this thread are trying to compare the two albums while some have even admitted that they haven't listened to Green Day's album. Sure, everyone has an opinion, but not every opinion is valid.

I don't need to listen to an album to know it simply isn't good, especially if the artist that it is being compared against is Madonna. She always does it better

'All our dreams can come true IF we have the courage to pursue them'-Walt Disney

Batwings
7 minutes ago, AJH219 said:

I don't need to listen to an album to know it simply isn't good, especially if the artist that it is being compared against is Madonna. She always does it better

Thanks for proving my initial point.

Snow
13 hours ago, Hexxx said:

American Life was the album i overlooked. I never understood this video. What's with the models and the bathroom scene

Its about glorifying war and all that stuff. There are those Bush loving (sort of) celeb imprrsonators chearing to The supposed glory of war (thr fashion show) that was The mentality right before Iraq war began. However its showing The brutal side of war with chearing to children being "abused" and also that sounded veteran there being pulled out of stage as she's trying to "tell The truth of things" and he's being silenced. Madonna is playing a part of soldier fighting for The truth and injustice of this unjustified war etc. 

It has a loooot of small details and meaning behind it. It would Take an essay to explain. Like why the setting of military as a fashion show etc.

Oh and it sure did cause a major controversy when launched and The quickly canned. Things might have goon different IF she wouldnt have pulled it, but I understand. She draw The line in her rebelling to ppl actually hurting her family/children as they should not suffer for it. (There were some actual and real threads IF I remember correctly). She also had to scrap the whole military fashion side and come up with something different. But yeah we know The result, radio banned her etc. AL did quite well in Europe though (like two 2# hits in UK).

It is a great album indeed and its nice that ppl appreciate it for its actual content these days.

Archived