Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Lana Del Rey - "Honeymoon" album discussion

Desperado

Which song from Honeymoon are you most excited about?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Which song from Honeymoon are you most excited about?

Featured Posts

ItsTommyBitch

Someone should direct me to a FLAC tbh :green:

Im still being so SLAIN by Salvatore. Its the best song on the album for me atm, followed by The Blackest Day. Lana found a perfect balance of mid-tempo and slow songs that are still "catchy" without any of the songs sounding too similar, UV detractors should love this tbh :awesome: 

私自身もこの世の中も誰もかれもが, どんなに華やかな人生でも, どんなに悲惨な人生でも, いつかは変貌し, 破壊され、消滅してしまう. すべてがもともとこの世に存在しない一瞬の幻想なのだから

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SonOfAphrodite

1. Honeymoon: 9/10
Love the powerful strings and the swaying harmonies. The theme of escapism is great. I definitely think it sets the stage well for the album ahead-- A lush opening track for a very lush album.
2. Music to Watch Boys to: 9/10
This song is sensual and creeping. It gives me a sort of stalker vibe. It's seductive and dangerous, much like a siren.
3. Terrence Loves You: 9/10
I feel like Lana is singing to an alien lover here because of the high pitched, space-like noises that appear throughout the track and the sound of the melody, which for some reason reminds me a bit of the main theme of E.T. Overall, the song is an emotional high-point for the album with soaring vocals and a lovely piano-based instrumental.
4. God Knows I Tried: 8/10
This song has a great, classic '60s western blues feel to it. The vocals are very lovely, but I do get tired of the repetition of the song title towards the end of the song.
5. High by the Beach: 10/10
I still really love the sound of this song. There's a degree of sass and venom that is only really found here on the album. The trap sound over the dreamy vocals and funeral procession-esque synths is unique.
6. Freak: 10/10
The s-xiest song on the record. The guitars during the chorus are excellent and the overall production is just fabulous.
7. Art Deco: 9/10
This song has the best blend of trap and jazz on the album. The instrumental is absolutely beautiful and interesting. Of all the songs on the album, I feel like this one calls back to Born to Die the most.
8. Burnt Norton (Interlude): 8/10
The dream-like sounds and Lana's beautiful speaking voice reciting T.S. Eliot's poem make for an excellent interlude.
9. Religion: 10/10
The beat of this song is great and the lyrics are beautiful. I feel like Lana is singing about her relationship with music here. This is by far my most unexpected favorite.
10. Salvatore: 10/10
I love the Italian sound of the instrumental and Lana's heavenly vocals as they swirl over the melody. The lyrics are a bit strange, but it just makes the song seem more mysterious. Someone on LanaBoards (I don't recall who) said it sounds a bit like Lolita's older, more sophisticated sister and I think that description is perfect.
11. The Blackest Day: 10/10
This song has a lot going on and it utilizes it all well. The tale of heartbreak proceeds with a tone of hopelessness and then shifts gears with a more assertive sound once you reach the "deeper and deeper..." section of the song. It reminds me a bit of Summertime Sadness with a more edge, rocky vibe.
12. 24: 9/10
A very jazzy, Bond theme sounding song. I love the melody of the chorus and how it progresses in intensity towards the end of the song.
13. Swan Song: 9/10
Here the album returns to the theme of escapism that was brought about in the opening track. I love the sample of High by the Beach at the beginning. The orchestra is also great here.
14. Dont Let Me Be Misunderstood: 8/10
This is definitely the weakest track on the album, but it works well as a closing track and sounds almost like a plea from Lana to whoever is listening. The synths and the subtle production are very nice.

Overall: 9/10

Love this review !! Was nice to read :legend:

Someone should direct me to a FLAC tbh :green:

Im still being so SLAIN by Salvatore. Its the best song on the album for me atm, followed by The Blackest Day. Lana found a perfect balance of mid-tempo and slow songs that are still "catchy" without any of the songs sounding too similar, UV detractors should love this tbh :awesome: 

I tried to PM you but you are not allowed to receive messages :toofunny:

Cody Draco

Could "singing soft-grunge just to soak up the noise" be referring to switching her sound up on Ultraviolence in order to "soak up" the critics and be received better? :ohno:

Could "singing soft-grunge just to soak up the noise" be referring to switching her sound up on Ultraviolence in order to "soak up" the critics and be received better? :ohno:

No, it's not really about that. I interpreted MTWBT in-depth in case you want to understand what the song truly is about :trollga: Here it is:

In this song Lana reflects on her baby sitting days, she worked as a child-care professional from 2008-2011, mostly taking care of children of close friends.

The first verse (I like you a lot, putting on my music while I'm watching the boys) talks about Lana's relationship with the children she takes care of, she likes hanging out with them, putting on pleasant music in the background, as it is entertaining but doesn't divert her attention from looking after the boys.

(Playing their guitars, only one of my toys)
Lana entertains the children by playing on a guitar for them, a technique that many child-care professionals use to calm down riled up children.
This line truly shows the lyrical genius Lana is, the second part, only one of my toys refers to the fact that she has many other ways to entertain the children, she is ready for this job and she knows she can do it well.

Pink flamingos
Always fascinated me
I know what only the girls know
Knows what lies akin to me

Now that she successfully calmed down the children, they are looking at a picture book together. A nice relaxing activity for everyone involved.

Velveteen and living single
It never felt that right to me
Lies can buy eternity

Lana didn't have a relationship which was solid enough that she felt it would be a responsible thing to have children of her own, and she expresses her distress over that in the first two lines. In the last two, she talks about the fairy tales she entertains the boys with until they fall asleep for the night, which means her work for that day is done.

I, I see you're going
So I push record
And watch you leave

As any responsible Nanny, Lana watched out for the security of the children she had to take care of. This line describes that even when they wandered around the house without her supervision, it was all right because Lana put a surveillance system in the house so she could always track her boys, they were always watched while she was there. (While she played her music, music to watch boys to.)

I live to love you
And I love to love you
And I live to love you, boy
I live to love you
And I love to love you

The bridge moves the narrative of the song forward in a beautiful way. Now that the children are asleep, Lana watches them sleep and talks to them, she tells them she loves them, tonight, she is theirs. She exists to take care of her boys.

Nothing gold can stay
Like love or lemonade
Or sun or summer days
It's all a game to me anyway

As the night draws to an end, Lana is reminded that the parents of the kids will be here soon, and she can't stay much longer. While she is not very happy about it, she gets over it. They are not her own children so she doesn't take her role as seriously as if they were her own.

Putting on my music while I'm watching the boys

The closing lines of the song describe Lana's final moments with her boys before the parents arrive: she listens to soft music in the background while making sure that the kids are okay. She really does a great job as a nanny.

Idea for Freak video

It's a cult like the snippet. Lana is the owner of this cult and in the first verse she is seen as a feral child in a deserted wasteland, hair messed up

Pre chorus she is all dolled up, looking like some gorgeous goddess as she looks over a more prosperous area. She has her man next to her and is preaching to a number of supporters. She kisses him in front of them.

Chorus, she is seen getting completely wasted alone, looking like a mess for a bunch of shots

Second verse, she is seen rising from this low. She is looking more crazed while sitting with her supporters mingled with shots of her completely alone as the much more frazzled feral woman. She seems to become agitated.

Second pre-chorus, she takes a man by the hair and sort of holds him hostage in front of the rest. She throws him to the ground and kicks him. The other members look frightened and in this fright they bow to her.

In the chorus, she is seen fighting with her man elsewhere, and in the midst of the fight she pulls out a gun and shoots him.

The bridge is her falling to the floor in typical Lana fashion in depression. You see her walk out to her group of supporters

The final chorus is her shooting them all dead while they sit in a circle.

In the end, you see her as the feral child looking blankly into the camera in the middle of a circle of bones

This is too morbid :air:

Cody Draco

No, it's not really about that. I interpreted MTWBT in-depth in case you want to understand what the song truly is about :trollga: Here it is:

In this song Lana reflects on her baby sitting days, she worked as a child-care professional from 2008-2011, mostly taking care of children of close friends.

The first verse (I like you a lot, putting on my music while I'm watching the boys) talks about Lana's relationship with the children she takes care of, she likes hanging out with them, putting on pleasant music in the background, as it is entertaining but doesn't divert her attention from looking after the boys.

(Playing their guitars, only one of my toys)
Lana entertains the children by playing on a guitar for them, a technique that many child-care professionals use to calm down riled up children.
This line truly shows the lyrical genius Lana is, the second part, only one of my toys refers to the fact that she has many other ways to entertain the children, she is ready for this job and she knows she can do it well.

Pink flamingos
Always fascinated me
Knows what lies akin to me

Now that she successfully calmed down the children, they are looking at a picture book together. A nice relaxing activity for everyone involved.

Velveteen and living single
It never felt that right to me
Lies can buy eternity

Lana didn't have a relationship which was solid enough that she felt it would be a responsible thing to have children of her own, and she expresses her distress over that in the first two lines. In the last two, she talks about the fairy tales she entertains the boys with until they fall asleep for the night, which means her work for that day is done.

I, I see you're going
So I push record
And watch you leave

As any responsible Nanny, Lana watched out for the security of the children she had to take care of. This line describes that even when they wandered around the house without her supervision, it was all right because Lana put a surveillance system in the house so she could always track her boys, they were always watched while she was there. (While she played her music, music to watch boys to.)

I live to love you
And I love to love you
I live to love you
And I love to love you

The bridge moves the narrative of the song forward in a beautiful way. Now that the children are asleep, Lana watches them sleep and talks to them, she tells them she loves them, tonight, she is theirs. She exists to take care of her boys.

Nothing gold can stay
Like love or lemonade
Or sun or summer days
It's all a game to me anyway

As the night draws to an end, Lana is reminded that the parents of the kids will be here soon, and she can't stay much longer. While she is not very happy about it, she gets over it. They are not her own children so she doesn't take her role as seriously as if they were her own.

The closing lines of the song describe Lana's final moments with her boys before the parents arrive: she listens to soft music in the background while making sure that the kids are okay. She really does a great job as a nanny.

You can't be serious. :rip:

Cody Draco

Idea for Freak video

It's a cult like the snippet. Lana is the owner of this cult and in the first verse she is seen as a feral child in a deserted wasteland, hair messed up

Pre chorus she is all dolled up, looking like some gorgeous goddess as she looks over a more prosperous area. She has her man next to her and is preaching to a number of supporters. She kisses him in front of them.

Chorus, she is seen getting completely wasted alone, looking like a mess for a bunch of shots

Second verse, she is seen rising from this low. She is looking more crazed while sitting with her supporters mingled with shots of her completely alone as the much more frazzled feral woman. She seems to become agitated.

Second pre-chorus, she takes a man by the hair and sort of holds him hostage in front of the rest. She throws him to the ground and kicks him. The other members look frightened and in this fright they bow to her.

In the chorus, she is seen fighting with her man elsewhere, and in the midst of the fight she pulls out a gun and shoots him.

The bridge is her falling to the floor in typical Lana fashion in depression. You see her walk out to her group of supporters

The final chorus is her shooting them all dead while they sit in a circle.

In the end, you see her as the feral child looking blankly into the camera in the middle of a circle of bones

This is too morbid :air:

inb4 it's an Ultraviolence continuation shot in the empty church which is where the cult lives :trollga:

inb4 it's an Ultraviolence continuation shot in the empty church which is where the cult lives :trollga:

If Freak had a video it would just be her slow dancing in circles in California

Cody Draco

@Desperado you should change the poll to which song is our favorite.

I'm curious to see who will win.

Salvatore, 24, and Freak seem to get the most praise.

:green:

Archived