Apple Music

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Islamists in Philippines threaten to kill German hostages

Featured Posts

Melech

Islamists in the Philippines have threatened to kill two German hostages unless Germany pays a ransom and withdraws its support for the US fight against Isis in Syria and northern Iraq.

In a message circulated via Twitter, the Abu Sayyaf terrorist group announced it would kill one of the hostages unless its demands were met within 15 days, according to US company Site Intelligence Group, which tracks communications from radical Islamist groups.

The message calls on Germany to “stop supporting America in its killing of our Muslim brothers in Iraq and Syria, especially the mujahideen of the Islamic Stateâ€.

The German pair, 71-year-old Stefan O and 55-year-old Henrike D, were reported missing in April, after their yacht was found empty in the Palawan province in the western Philippines.

In August, photographs showing the couple in front of a German flag and surrounded by masked fighters were released by Abu Sayyaf. The militant group originally demanded a ransom of 250m pesos (£3.4m) to release the hostages.

Filipino police say they suspect the couple are being held hostage near the militants’ base on Jolo island in the Sulu province in the southern Philippines.

The German government on Wednesday confirmed it was aware of the new threats and that it had set up an emergency taskforce within the foreign office which was “continuing its efforts to achieve a releaseâ€.

It said its foreign policy towards Isis would not be influenced by the incident. “Threats are not an appropriate way of influencing Germany’s policy towards Syria and northern Iraq,†a spokesperson said.

Founded in the early 1990s, the small but active Abu Sayyaf group has been listed as a terrorist organisation since 1997. It rose to prominence after the kidnapping of a group of 21 foreigners in the dive resort of Sipadan in May 2000.

Khair Mundos, a leading figure in the militant group, was arrested in June this year. The group has previously had ties to al-Qaida, though security experts say it now operates autonomously. In June, Abu Sayyaf’s leader, Isnilon Hapilon, announced his group’s support for Isis in a video circulated on the internet.

Germany is currently not directly involved in the military offensive against Isis in northern Iraq, but has pledged logistical support and called for a “political strategy†against the militant group.

Foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier recently ruled out Germany participating in US-led air strikes in Iraq.

However, Germany has confirmed that it will provide logistical support for military operations in northern Iraq, including sending a squad of 40 paratroopers to train Kurdish fighters in the use of machine guns.

A shipment of arms – including 4,000 G3 rifles, 4,000 P1 pistols, 20 Milan anti-tank guns, 120 anti-tank rockets and 20 MG3 machine guns – was scheduled to fly out from Leipzig to Iraq on Wednesday.separatisten-fuehren-deutsche-geiseln-vo

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/24/islamists-philippines-threaten-kill-german-hostages-isis

What kind of a mess. Seems like Westeners can't go into a lot countries anymore. 

teo

How they don't see that soon the whole world will be afraid of all muslims, because of the %1 fanatics? They're not doing anything good for islam. They're harming their religion and all the normal people that practice it. Hope this massive mess will end soon, even though I doubt it...

Fizzy

How they don't see that soon the whole world will be afraid of all muslims, because of the %1 fanatics? They're not doing anything good for islam. They're harming their religion and all the normal people that practice it. Hope this massive mess will end soon, even though I doubt it...

This. I am actually embarrassed and sad such people exist. I mean live and let live. At least thats what Islam is about. These extremists are all fuccked up in the head.

garnite

i don't think they care. they've established their caliphate and they want muslims to go and live with and join IS to further the spread of their "state", until the entire world is under their control. they're not trying to give islam a good name, they are trying to implement worldwide islamic rule by force and religious persuasion.

jojo Freud

I already know the reputation of islam has perished in Australia due to the media representation and that small freaking minority with extremist practices. Islamic places of worship have been graffitied with offence slogans which I don't wish to repeat and just in general people are really intimidated by muslims. Also women (with strong beliefs wearing a burqa) have been targeted  

Dolev

It's much more than just 1%. And those "moderates" are doing nothing against these lunatics and prefer to talk about how "Islamophobic" the world is.

Didymus

It's much more than just 1%. And those "moderates" are doing nothing against these lunatics and prefer to talk about how "Islamophobic" the world is.

Well, what do you expect them to do? Muslims are not organized like some other religious sects. They don't have a central authority, let alone the means for a military reaction. IS is an organized military power with millions of dollars and their rise to power has to do a lot more with international politics and economy than religion.

Melech

Well, what do you expect them to do? Muslims are not organized like some other religious sects. They don't have a central authority, let alone the means for a military reaction. IS is an organized military power with millions of dollars and their rise to power has to do a lot more with international politics and economy than religion.

So are a lot other. 

Didymus

So are a lot other. 

I know that.. Which is why it would be equally ridiculous to say that it's the job of Protestants to stop a militant Protestant group somewhere in another part of the world because they're ruining the name of Protestant Christianity with their practices :shrug:

Melech

I know that.. Which is why it would be equally ridiculous to say that it's the job of Protestants to stop a militant Protestant group somewhere in another part of the world because they're ruining the name of Protestant Christianity with their practices :shrug:

But Those doesnt exist.

Morphine Prince

Hopefully they are wiped out soon.

For the debt I owe, gotta sell my soul, 'Cause I can't say no, no, I can't say no

Didymus

But Those doesnt exist.

I know, it's just an example :rip: 

What's your point? :huh:

Luc

But Those doesnt exist.

You're not able to imagine something that doesn't exist? :omg: I refuse to believe that from a religious person, who, after all, believes in God, Adam and Eve, the 'creation', heaven and such things.

Melech

I know, it's just an example :rip:

What's your point? :huh:

That for some reason Islam tends to be radical 

You're not able to imagine something that doesn't exist? :omg: I refuse to believe that from a religious person, who, after all, believes in God, Adam and Eve, the 'creation', heaven and such things.

Was that neccessary now? :smh: 

RAMROD

These people need to help their fellow Pinoys and Pinays than beheading people.

I heard there are bad floods over there right now.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ The ♥ Weight ♥ Of ♥ My ♥ Words ♥