Stefani Tee

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man killed by Tiger at Delhi Zoo

Featured Posts

Bebe

NEW DELHI  A young man was mauled to death by a white tiger at the New Delhi zoo on Tuesday after he fell into a moat in the animal’s enclosure and was unable to climb out to safety, witnesses said.

The man, identified by the police as Maqsood Khan, 20, was spotted by other visitors, but the security personnel who came to the scene were not equipped with tranquilizer guns.

Anil Kumar, a police spokesman, said Mr. Khan was in the enclosure at the National Zoological Park for 10 minutes before he was killed. Photographs showed Mr. Khan several feet from the tiger, his hands folded as if in prayer.

Bystanders with cellphones took images of Mr. Khan cowering in the moat, the tiger pawing at him and later seizing him by the neck and lashing his body back and forth, finally settling in a grassy corner with its prey.

In interviews with NDTV, a cable news channel, witnesses complained that members of the security staff who had come to the scene had not been able to help. “The initial first-response team was one guard with a baton,†said one woman who described the events on camera. “Even after the guard came, they were focusing more on clearing the crowds than saving the man.â€

Amitabh Agnihotri, the director of the zoo, said that tranquilizer guns were stored at the zoo hospital, roughly 350 feet from the tiger’s cage. “We do have tranquilizer guns, but by the time we could organize them, he was dead,†he said.

Mr. Khan had stepped over a low outer fence to get closer to the tiger. Witnesses said they believed that he had slipped, but zoo officials said he had jumped into the moat, which is about 18 feet deep.

In a written statement, Mr. Agnihotri said Mr. Khan had actually “crossed the standoff barrier of the white tiger enclosure†and had “jumped into the enclosure,†rather than fallen.

The director said the guard who had been posted there sounded an alarm and sent wireless S O S messages to other staff members. Employees “tried to divert the attention of the tiger from the visitor but to no avail,†he said.

In his statement, Mr. Agnihotri said the enclosures of the zoo were “absolutely safe.â€

Three years ago, a female tiger at the zoo jumped over a 12-foot fence into an adjacent enclosure, prompting officials to temporarily close the park.

According to news reports, it took the staff two hours to tranquilize the tiger and put her back into a cage.

Zoos in India are regulated by a federal agency, the Central Zoo Authority, but are typically understaffed and overcrowded, said Bittu Sahgal, the editor of the wildlife and conservation magazine Sanctuary Asia. He said that officials often failed to register animal births or deaths publicly, and that supervision was scattershot.

Under existing regulations, Mr. Sahgal said, an episode such as Tuesday’s should have set off a fast-moving emergency plan.

“If someone walked inside, or fell inside, there should have been tranquilizer guns, there should have been rifles, and it should have been three or four minutes,†he said. “The boy’s life should have been saved.â€

Source

There are also reports that, while the tiger was curious and playful at first, it was being pelted with stones by guards and bystanders which seemed to provoke it to attack.

Source

Diamond Heart

Just a sad situation all round.

Mr. Khan had stepped over a low outer fence to get closer to the tiger. Witnesses said they believed that he had slipped, but zoo officials said he had jumped into the moat, which is about 18 feet deep.

In a written statement, Mr. Agnihotri said Mr. Khan had actually “crossed the standoff barrier of the white tiger enclosure†and had “jumped into the enclosure,†rather than fallen.

There are also reports that, while the tiger was curious and playful at first, it was being pelted with stones by guards and bystanders which seemed to provoke it to attack.

But baby, I just need one good one Tuesday

What

if the tiger gets put down i'm done.

they cage a wild animal and expect it to not maul it's first live prey to death when they're too dumb to not fall in 

swine killer

This is very sad!

And a tiger should not be in a zoo in the first place for many reasons

...and shouting and throwing stones and beating wildly in fences is not particularly smart when things like this happens (I refer to the guards and visitors)

lucia4

You can watch a video this at liveleak.

Aside of "omg this is so sad etc etc", it's interesting to see how tigers always play with their pray and "look away" to pretend they're not paying attention. Then poke a little bit. Then suddenly grab them and take them back to their home.

There's no gore in the video tho.

People should've thrown food honestly.

Kayla

This is why training animals is so important. 

For example:

At Disney's Animal Kingdom, their flighted Bird Show is close to the Tiger enclosure. During one of the shows a Macaw flew into the Tiger exhibit and the tigers began approaching it. 

Domesticated, bright, colorful, loud bird + Huge CAT = Obviously a bad time for the bird, but a lot of fun for the tigers. 

However, the tigers had been trained to come to the holding doors at the sound of a bell, so when Bird Show radioed to park staff that a parrot had flown into the exhibit the tiger trainers rang the bell and the tigers moved away from the parrot and to their holding area. 

All locations keeping animals, especially carnivorous ones, need to have these kinds of things in place. 

Knife

That's really unfortunate.

It sounds like this facility is barely able to meet the health and safety needs of their animals, let alone human safety.

Antidote

The death of a person is always horrible, but I'm not here for blaming the animal....it's a wild animal and people keep it in a small area in a zoo. Of course the tiger is coming for the prey if he sees it, just natural

Tayfani

The death of a person is always horrible, but I'm not here for blaming the animal....it's a wild animal and people keep it in a small area in a zoo. Of course the tiger is coming for the prey if he sees it, just natural

Gohan

:applause:

HANZ

this

:trootea:

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Goosey

A man-eater  :eww: why is the beast still alive? 

"I am the world's greatest person that does not want to let people into the country."—US President Donald J. Trump

Iismetti

A man-eater  :eww: why is the beast still alive? 

Read this as your answer

I'm Michelle Pfeiffer

RAMROD

Maybe the tiger not well fed.

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ ♥ Chaos ♥ Lives ♥ In ♥ Everything ♥