Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Vocals on TF vs TFM vs BTW vs Artpop

tokyodisko

Featured Posts

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tokyodisko

Well she used autotune in some of her live performances during those eras. I know everybody uses it but some vocals in The Fame don't even sound like her real voice when she sings those songs live.

You must not have watched many TF performances. She sounds a lot like herself in some performances. It just depends on the day. Sounds closer than Judas or SD ever will :P

Apart from other elements, my favorite vocals of hers are on ARTPOP. I think it's most impressive how she is capable of completely differently colors and tones, depending on the song. Sensual, primal, light, airy, hypnotic, bellowing, jazzy... it's all here, with an added clarity and ease that was missing from the previous albums. She's clearly been working on it.

She has and her voice got stronger, but I don't feel the emotion and depth as much as I am just impressed with her voice. Plus she just mumbles a lot now. She's always been very good at multiple genres if you look at her unreleased work. I just hope she takes better care of her voice and begins to sing without letting every line run together 

well then ur thread should have been "LYRICS on TF vs TFM vs BTW vs ARTPOP" not ''Vocals on TF vs TFM vs BTW vs ARTPOP'' becuase the one has nothing to do with the other 

lol Clearly pronouncing something definitely falls under vocals and not lyrics. smh. 

djBuffoon

She has and her voice got stronger, but I don't feel the emotion and depth as much as I am just impressed with her voice. Plus she just mumbles a lot now. She's always been very good at multiple genres if you look at her unreleased work. I just hope she takes better care of her voice and begins to sing without letting every line run together 

No, I definitely feel palpable emotion in the songs that call for it (Gypsy, DWUW, Dope, Swine). In general, I feel exactly what she most likely wants us to feel. She's a fantastic vocalist like that. She knows how to manipulate her voice, get to the heart of what she's saying, and make it look effortless. I am very familiar with her unreleased work :) but I would consider this to be her vocal peak.

re: the mumbling... I don't know, I've never had a problem understanding her. And considering the precision with which she attacks each line, I would conclude that the "mumbling" quality is a conscious choice on her part, not a lack of technique (see also: Adele, Janis)

Gagz

I agree with you. Her vocals on ARTPOP are kind of heavy and sometimes very hard to understand. I think Dope is the best example. I really liked her voice at aR though. It seems lighter than usual. I don't know how to explain it :flop:

DanceInTheDark

Her highest notes are on ARTPOP, I love them so much

the highest notes on Born This Way are okay (Marry The Night adlibs and outro)

soundcloud.com/brooklyn-nights

tokyodisko

No, I definitely feel palpable emotion in the songs that call for it (Gypsy, DWUW, Dope, Swine). In general, I feel exactly what she most likely wants us to feel. She's a fantastic vocalist like that. She knows how to manipulate her voice, get to the heart of what she's saying, and make it look effortless. I am very familiar with her unreleased work :) but I would consider this to be her vocal peak.

re: the mumbling... I don't know, I've never had a problem understanding her. And considering the precision with which she attacks each line, I would conclude that the "mumbling" quality is a conscious choice on her part, not a lack of technique (see also: Adele, Janis)

DWUW live I can hear it, Swine live, and Gypsy, but compared to Speechless live or something like You and I or Bad Romance it seems iffy. Dope sounds strained to me. The only time I've really loved it was on Letterman. I love the instrumental and verses, but the chorus is just... overkill. Plus the tears when she sings it live are extremely played up and faked imo. She was trying to be victim and pitiful for most of the era, so that didn't make me jump on her train.

I consider her vocals stronger, but I think she needs to work on things, which it sounds like she is doing from aR videos. I think her overall vocal peak was 09-10, because everything was so balanced. 

I've seen her compared to Janis a lot actually, even by my old professor, but at the same time, she's been criticized more and more for people being less able to make out what she is saying. I think it's easy for us fans most of the time, but not the public and the public won't want to listen to something where they can't understand all the vocals. She has always done a gravely, slurred sound even during TFM sometimes, but she's kind of let it go. Maybe it was a conscious decision, but imo it was a bad one. 

Her highest notes are on ARTPOP, I love them so much

the highest notes on Born This Way are okay (Marry The Night adlibs and outro)

She can't really sing them that well live though unless it is acoustic.  :shrug:

I agree with you. Her vocals on ARTPOP are kind of heavy and sometimes very hard to understand. I think Dope is the best example. I really liked her voice at aR though. It seems lighter than usual. I don't know how to explain it :flop:

It reminds me more of her older vocals. I'm glad she is trying to balance it out again. For a while the slurring drunkard got to be too repetitive. 

djBuffoon

DWUW live I can hear it, Swine live, and Gypsy, but compared to Speechless live or something like You and I or Bad Romance it seems iffy. Dope sounds strained to me. The only time I've really loved it was on Letterman. I love the instrumental and verses, but the chorus is just... overkill. Plus the tears when she sings it live are extremely played up and faked imo. She was trying to be victim and pitiful for most of the era, so that didn't make me jump on her train.

I consider her vocals stronger, but I think she needs to work on things, which it sounds like she is doing from aR videos. I think her overall vocal peak was 09-10, because everything was so balanced. 

I've seen her compared to Janis a lot actually, even by my old professor, but at the same time, she's been criticized more and more for people being less able to make out what she is saying. I think it's easy for us fans most of the time, but not the public and the public won't want to listen to something where they can't understand all the vocals. She has always done a gravely, slurred sound even during TFM sometimes, but she's kind of let it go. Maybe it was a conscious decision, but imo it was a bad one. 

I don't know what to tell you, sir. I'm not interested in looking at it from the perspective of someone from the GP. I can only speak from my viewpoint. And her vocals this era have been glowing.

Psychedelic

Her vocals in piano performances remain flawless, but vocals for dancing performances have decreased quality!

Back in TF and TFM eras she would sing the whole damn thing, now she abuses backing tracks while giving a strong note here and there... IMO I think she actually abuses backing vocals more than Katy Perry and Madonna (I'm waiting for a storm)...  :P

DrewStevens

You must not have watched many TF performances. She sounds a lot like herself in some performances. It just depends on the day. Sounds closer than Judas or SD ever will :P

lol Clearly pronouncing something definitely falls under vocals and not lyrics. smh.

Her voice is definitely more honest now since the only song that she struggles with is Sexxx Dreams. She has to sing Paparazzi in a lower key to sing the chorus, even they lowered a key for the artRave, same happened with the VMAs and her acoustic performances.

Gaga has a deep voice and in The Fame they tried to make her voice sound sweet (Paparazzi, LoveGame, Money Honey)

HANZ

The Fame Monster and Born This Way

live performances of speechless, you and I, the edge of glory, hair, marry the night, bad romance, alejandro and born this way>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Favs = Lady Gaga, Janet Jackson, Ricky Martin, AKB48

Archived