Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Vocals on TF vs TFM vs BTW vs Artpop

tokyodisko

Featured Posts

tokyodisko

So I saw some people saying she can't sing her older songs as well anymore. Do you think that's because of the very gutteral/deep/screamish vocals she did on and during BTW/B?

I feel like it fried her voice a bit and I think she is staring to take better care of it(she and we don't want her to be the next Whitney, Mariah, or Xtina), because she sounds great in aR videos of TF/TFM songs. I really like her higher, lighter voice. It's very distinct, but familiar and enticing. She can convey such a flirty, cheeky nature with it instead of everything being so heavy-hearted. 

Plus that brings into play the fact that people who aren't superfans have a harder time understanding what she says in BTW/ARTPOP than in TF/TFM. She kind of lets her words run together more or mumbles them, but I've noticed in the aR videos that she seems to be keeping better tabs on that. 

I'm hoping the next album is more like TF/TFM vocally. I enjoyed the BTW and ARTPOP vocals, but it's time for a rest imo, they don't work when she saturates her music with them for too long. ARTPOP definitely had some similar vocals to TF/TFM, but it sounded a little more edited and less of human emotion. 

I also think she sang in a deeper register for a while to be distinct, but to also be taken more seriously as a vocal artist and that's not something she should worry about. 

Her best vocals imo are Fooled Me Again. I know that's probably not a popular opinion, but oh well, they're just so perfect and clear. It's pure talent in that song and deeper than ARTPOP as a whole. 

I'm not necessarily talking about range or talent, but just generally "good vocals". 

Which are your favorites and why?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pure Adrenaline

ARTPOP vocals are the best

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

Danny Boy

Her vocals are stronger than ever and this proves it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmhwpzCbrY

It's subjective, but I loved her deeper, more gutteral vocality from TF/TFM, it was simply more charismatic for me. She's definitely a better singer than what she was then, though. 

tokyodisko

Her vocals are stronger than ever and this proves it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjmhwpzCbrY

Well of course, she's been singing for years and will just improve. But I'm talking about more than just range and such. 

It's subjective, but I loved her deeper, more gutteral vocality from TF/TFM, it was simply more charismatic for me. She's definitely a better singer than what she was then, though. 

She is totally! But I agree, her highs and lows were so contrasting, but not in a way that felt like it was a different singer. They flowed together flawlessly. 

ARTPOP vocals are the best

Why is that? Because she has a stronger voice? So? Susan Boyle has a "good" voice, but it doesn't make someone want to listen to her. haha 

Cody Draco

I think her The Fame vocals are her worst and that she has only got stronger and better vocally with age. It's just an opinion though, I think people prefer different things when it comes to singer's voices. I cringe when I hear Ariana Grande or Mariah Carey sing, but that is just my taste. I prefer "deeper/earthier" voices. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, this is my first time trying to describe vocals. :shrug:

Pure Adrenaline

Why is that? Because she has a stronger voice? So? Susan Boyle has a "good" voice, but it doesn't make someone want to listen to her. haha 

ur point? Gaga has stronger voice then 6 years ago which means that she will have better vocals and by far ARTPOP has the best vocals and the live performances are the proof of that

It's much more fun to have hizophrenia... u never get lonely

tokyodisko

I think her The Fame vocals are her worst and that she has only got stronger and better vocally with age. It's just an opinion though, I think people prefer different things when it comes to singer's voices. I cringe when I hear Ariana Grande or Mariah Carey sing, but that is just my taste. I prefer "deeper/earthier" voices. Sorry if this post doesn't make sense, this is my first time trying to describe vocals. :shrug:

See that makes sense since you prefer "earthier/deeper". :) haha

What didn't you like about TF vocals?

ur point? Gaga has stronger voice then 6 years ago which means that she will have better vocals and by far ARTPOP has the best vocals and the live performances are the proof of that

I'm not saying her voice hasn't matured. Her vocals are better now for the most part, but her lyrics sometimes suffer from it. I'm asking about more than a powerful range and all that jazz. Vocals are not solely about how powerful they are. Mariah had some amazing vocal talent, but I didn't like it all that much.

i liked her voice the best from 2009-2010

I'd probably agree with this overall. The way she started singing after made her have a "better" voice, but it also took away from some other things she had going on with them. 

Is there a why? haha

Slade

Is there a why? haha

I just think that you can real hear how much her voice has grown and matured since The Fame/The Fame Monster, and I love it. I mean, the vocals on Aura's chorus are just :legend:

tokyodisko

I just think that you can real hear how much her voice has grown and matured since The Fame/The Fame Monster, and I love it. I mean, the vocals on Aura's chorus are just :legend:

Can she sing it live though? It sounded kind of scratchy in the last live Aura performance I watched. I don't like the song aside from the intro and chorus, so I don't keep up on it. I think BTW damaged her ability to hit those high, airier notes as well as she used to, but from PF/JD/etc at aR, she seems like she is working on it.  

Slade

Can she sing it live though? It sounded kind of scratchy in the last live Aura performance I watched. I don't like the song aside from the intro and chorus, so I don't keep up on it. I think BTW damaged her ability to hit those high, airier notes as well as she used to, but from PF/JD/etc at aR, she seems like she is working on it.  

I don't know I don't think that album really damaged her vocal chords. If anything, it's from smoking.

Chromatislaps

I agree stronger vocals doesn't mean they are btter vocals. It's about the way the emotions are conveyed throughout the song, and not about screaming on the top of your lungs. I often thought some parts of songs on ARTPOP could have been better if she sang them less over the top (like Dope, subtlety is better at times).

tokyodisko

I don't know I don't think that album really damaged her vocal chords. If anything, it's from smoking.

I thought she quit? :o 

That could be it then. I don't mind if she smokes, but not much, I hope. 

I remember, was it TMB1.0 she lit up a cigarette on stage or something? haha As an affectation I loved it. 

Archived