Harlequin - OUT SEPTEMBER 27th

Official Review ARTPOP Track-by-Track thread.

MelbHawker

Featured Posts

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
heavymlover

I have a very similar opinion. I agree that the additional vocals in Sexxx Dreams should've been used only in the final chorus. On the other hand, I like Dope more than IWBWY, and Gypsy is probably my favorite song in the album.

Although Fashion! certainly lacks something, I think it was well produced. I was quite surprised with that one.

MelbHawker

Well I actually wrote that review yesterday and posted it as a thread here, but I re-posted it in your thread because it was a track-by-track review like what you asked for.

I'm glad we agree on these things, though! Gaga really did a great job with this album.

Damn I must have missed your thread! (Or maybe I did read it, I'm a mess at the moment in terms of memory.) Will be interesting to read the critics reviews on this one.

GLUTAMATE'S REVIEW

Scoring scheme: 

0 (Bad Kids, MDNA) --------- 10 (DITD, BR, GH)

1.Aura - 8/10. I love this, it's extremely camp, over the top, fun, shameless and noisy; BTW on steroids. However I preferred the demo vocals as they had more passion in them so I took two points off. 

2. Venus - 9/10. This song is probably one of my favourites on the album. Like Aura, it has that camp quality and the lyrics are fun to listen to. It gives me 80s synth rock teas. The bridge is amazing. I knocked off a point since the song sounds a bit "unfinished"; a little bit more cohesion would have been nice between the verses and chorus but overall outstanding. Very "Gaga". 

3. G.U.Y - 8/10. Very easy to listen to, good vocals and relatable, although I preferred other songs. Dat intro tho, >>>>>>>

4. Sexxx Dreams - 10/10. I love this song, it gives me Madonna Erotica vibes and it flows perfectly. I love the new lyrics she added to the chorus. 

5. Jewels N' Drugs - 3/10. Rap doesn't really do anything for me also I find it a bit cringeworthy. 

6. Do What U Want - 10/10. I think the R&B style really works for Gaga and R Kelly makes the collab perfect. It's relatable yet a thinly veiled F U to her haters. Also one of my favourites on the album. That chorus synth gets me everytime. 

7. MANiCURE - 3/10. I preferred the Swinefest vocals, the new lyrics don't do anything for me. Too wannabe rock. 

8. ARTPOP - 10/10. Flawless song. I loved it ever since Swinefest; the way her vocals are edited to sound robotic and spacey are just amazing, and the instrumental track is also fabulous. I love how the song conveys her struggle between being commercial and artistic at the same time (on par with DWUW). It's a shame the HEEHEEs weren't present after the second verse though.  I think this is my favourite on the album. 

9. Swine - 6/10. I liked it at Swinefest although I don't like the "you're just a pig inside a human body lyric": she could have written something a bit more intelligent. Despite that, the song is loud, brash and raw for its theme and it flows well. 

10. Donatella - 8/10. I think this song is hilarious and I admire Gaga being able to laugh at herself. Catchy, upbeat and hard hitting. It reminds me of Icona Pop. The only part that makes it not get 10/10 is the ending.

11. Fashion! - 0/10. I don't like this at all, her vocals sound awkward and it's just so... dull. Too WIM-ish for my liking. It screams filler. 

12. Mary Jane Holland - 7/10. I think this is a fun song and I like the speed it goes at, but I think it's a grower for me. 

13. Dope - 6/10. Like MJH, I think this has to grow on me before I can fully appreciate it. 

14. Gypsy - 9/10. I love this song, it's uplifting and it has that Eurodance sound to it. 

15. Applause - 10/10. Such a fun song and it always makes me want to dance! 

Highlights of the album: Venus, DWUW, ARTPOP, Applause and GUY

Low points of the album: MANiCURE, Fashion!

Overall album score (average of song scores): 6.5/10 

Overall album score: 8/10

I feel that the album was good and a totally new sound for Gaga but didn't really live up to the whole Warhol-expedition thing. Maybe when we get more visuals during the era then the ARTPOP theme will be more apparent. 

Don't attack me for my opinions. :)

ELECTRAHEARTPOP

Flawless review. I love it how our opinions all differ on each song. 

I feel exactly the same about Venus to be honest. The hook isn't needed; the 'I can't help the way I'm feeling' hook work just fine and matches the chorus in terms of euphoria. I love your description of Swine tbh.. it totally strangles you doesn't it?!

Yes it just rapes your ears and doesn't stop :legend:

And yeah I really want to love Venus but, I don't know. But then again I stan for Fashion! and Dope so what the hell do I know

Damn I must have missed your thread! (Or maybe I did read it, I'm a mess at the moment in terms of memory.) Will be interesting to read the critics reviews on this one.

What songs do you think will be critically acclaimed?

I say G.U.Y, Gypsy and Mary Jane Holland will be loved.

MelbHawker

Although Fashion! certainly lacks something, I think it was well produced. I was quite surprised with that one.

I can agree that it's production is nice and clean. It's just lacking oomph that something that makes me want to listen to it again.

I hunt for people? I'm a snitch? Because of a well-written, articulate review that I put lots of effort in creating? You need to get laid, or take a pill with the letters 'chill' written on it. x

I'm literally 14 so that point is completely invalid. Nice try

1. Aura 9/10

New vocals grew on me, I really like this song, great opening song. Chorus destroys wigs. Fav lyrics: I may not walk on your street or shoot a gun on your soil.

2. Venus 8/10

If only she spend more time producing it, it would be awesome. It has all of the trademarks that make Gaga song. Fav lyrics: I wonder if this could be love?

3. G.U.Y. 10/10

Pure perfection. This is why I love Gaga: smart lyrics, great melody. Zedd ejaculated great production! Gaga's screaming in the end>>>>> Fav lyrics: Touch me, touch me, don't be sweet, love me love me please retweet!

4. Sexxx dreams 8/10

The oppening is just orgasmic. I have a love/hate relationship with chorus. HALP ME HAAAIR!!1! part slays. Fav lyrics: I just... Want this to be perfect.. .

5. Jewels & Drugs 10/10

What kind of a trap slayage this song is? I really like rap verses, and weirdly it doesn't sound like a rent-a-rapper situation; and hillarious gangsta lyric: Slap honey on your pancake!>>>>>>> Fav lyrics: I'mma be weird as Lady Gaga.

6. MANiCURE 9/10

It was my least favourite from Swinefest but I really like studio version. I love how she sings with full lungs and the fact that this is bubblegumish pop song. Fav lyrics: Save me cause I'm addicted to love.

7. DWUW 10/10

Excellent single choice. This is most radio-friendly song from album and it's so r'n'b. Fav lyrics: Sometimes I'm scared I suppose if you ever let me go...

8. ARTPOP 9/10

I give it 9 just because Hee Hees are not louder. Everything else is flawless, the most out-of-this-world song Gaga made. Fav lyrics: I try to sell myself but I am really laughing because I just love the music not the bling.

9. Swine 8/10

I can almost feel the pain in Gaga's voice. The darkest song after Dope. I love the build up, it's almost like trying to have orgasm while not being horny. Fav lyric: Let your body jigle.

10. Donatella 8/10

This song grew on me, but not quite yet. It's fun, noisy but definately not Gaga's best. Still, it's dancable and better than someones mathematical let the linght in album. Fav lyric: What do you wanna wear this season?

11. Fashion! 9/10

The FameGa is back from the dead with feelgood anthem. Will.i.am did an awesome job! Fav lyric: looking good and feeling fine... Slay!

12. Mary Jane Holland 10/10

Electro-cabaresong about marijuana. If feeling high is similar to feelings I have while listening to this song then I wanna get high. Madeon is a genious! Fav lyric: russian hookers and cheap gin!

13. Dope 9/10

My fave Gaga ballad of all time. The raw vocals, simple haunting production, the darkness>>>> This is how you make derk song Katy. Can't choose fav lyric, this song is just too good.

14. Gypsy 10/10

This... Makes me sad and happy. Such an uplifting but at the same time melahonic song. I think remix ft. Cher would be everything. Fave lyric: I don't wanna be alone forever but I canbe tonight.

15. Applause 10/10

Gaga, you deserve on big applause for this album. Mature but fun. EDM but not basic. Closing the album with this song is genious. Fav lyrics: I overheatd your theory, nostalgia's for geeks!

:clap: All in all this album is one big performance. Really meant to be listened from start to end. No skipping. LOVE. ARTPOP. :gaga:

1. Aura - 8/10

- This is such a weird pop song combined with electronic dance music! I wish that this song didn't leak so that I get to listen to the final version and feel the excitement.

2. Venus - 8.5/10

- Another weird pop song but I really love this song! She took a lot of risks to create this song! I really like Venus but I feel like It's missing something.

3. G,U,Y. 9.5/10

- The lyrics are so smart and they are slaying my body from head to toe! It's very mysterious and fun to listen to.

4. Sexxx Dreams9/10

- I don't know if this song related to any of you but I have a strong connection with this song. The lyrics are so good that I could imagine myself saying these things to my crush.  :wub:

5. Jewels & Drugs - 8/10

- This song is a little messy, I know that she did this on purpose, but I prefer "Cake Like Lady Gaga" over this song. However, I give her one extra point for taking risks.

6. MANiCURE7.5/10

- This song is too short, however I like the lyrics. I think that this song would be perfect if she features another female pop artist to sing this song with her, such as Miley or Britney. A rap verse by Iggy Azalea or some other female rappers would make the song so much more fun.

7. Do What U Want8/10

- She's very smart for changing the single and use this song as the 2nd single. However I get bored of listening to this song really quick, just like other pop songs nowadays. But if she wants GP to actually pay attention to her again she needs this song to show them a different side of her.

8. ARTPOP - 8/10

- This song is wonderful, when you listen to it you can see all the famous art works in your head and the music goes along with your imagination.

9. Swine9/10

- This song will be big at the clubs, it's so good that when you are blasting this song in car you just wanted to stop in the corner of the street and dance.

10. Donatella 10/10  :legend: 

- I LOVE this song so much that I was screaming while listening to the song. The lyrics go with the b---hiness of the song. When Lady Gaga announced the name of this song along with the lyrics, I knew that I had to listen to this song first when the album comes out and yes I did.

11. Fashion!8/10

- This song is not as bad as I thought. However, this song reminds me of her "The Fame" Era.

12. Mary Jane Holland9.5/10

- Very dark, mysterious, smoky song. I love it.

13. Dope7/10

- Her vocals are weird in this song, if "Dope" goes against "You and I." "You and I" would win.

- Speechless < Dope < You and I

- Dope is also my least played song for now.

14. Gypsy 8/10

- The song has a little bit of country inspired in it, toward the end. the song was a little bit busy. Overall it's a fun song to listen to. Also, sweet & cute lyrics.

15. Applause10/10

- I won't get bored of listening to this song, I always dance to this song whenever I play it. :clap:  :party:

- Overall, I love this album more than The Fame and Born This Way. I give it a 9.5/10 because this album has all kinds of music, from dirty pop, to EDM, to R&B and typical Rap song.

ARTPOPSYCHOLOGY

AHHH I was hoping for a thread like this! First of all, let me state that we can't undermine anyone's opinions, this is an open forum. But this is my review that I've posted on my blog, and Billboard!

1.) Aura - I mean yeah, we all wanted it to be different, but I think gaga either leaked this herself, or it just so happened that the final version (basically) leaked at first and people were covering up. I like the verses personally, these lyrics and her sound are so different as the album progresses, which is what she was going for and is the vision she had with Zedd. My ONLY criticism on this song is that if she heard the Infected Mushroom song they sampled - the beats are literally identical.  Obviously the chorus slays and is brand new in addition to  the outro and bridge is just different and he just like added more to the verses themselves. 

Grade: A-

2.) Venus - It's so amazing that she produced this herself and I knewwwww there would be a song shed produce before this song was even announced. I love it, all this talk about "the verses not flowing together, it sounding messy, this is gagas first production so its ok that it sucks," is absolutely bizarre. You need really to appreciate music and how Gaga views music to appreciate how this sounds. This literally takes us to a different planet, listening through headphones THERE IS SO MUCH DETAIL IN THE PRODUCTION!! THe verses are meant to be choppy based on what she's singing about !

Grade: A (mainly because she did everything with the song....)

3.) G.U.Y - I am SOOO happy that she made a song like this which tells a story, literally has never been done before (by her, not a new concept all together). The production is just amazing, the detail is incredible, as theres like 4 different ways she recorded herself saying "GUY" which shows in the background of the song and flows through the left and right speakers, so amazing. The chorus is great, however, I think it gets a BIT repetitive "I wanna be that g u y, I wanna be that G u Y" i kinda wish there was another verse in the chorus, but it's still amazing. I don't see it being on the radio, but it's probably my favorite on the album. 

Grade: A

4.) Sexxx dreams- So this is a P E R F E C T example how a.) listening to Swinefest is bad, and b.) listening to leaks are bad. I personally love that she added stuff to the chorus, IF and possibly when this ever becomes a single, those added (you were in my) is what is going to make this radio friendly. Having a song that says "making love in my s-x dreams" 4 times in a row can get annoying to the lay person and non gaga fan, but it makes sense that they added that in there. The leak that added that instrumental was amazingggg, and im a little sad she cut right to the "i cant believe im telling you this." It gets the minus because the vocals are a little too autotuned, as the OP states. 

5.) Jewels & Drugs - This song is good from a diverse standpoint, and I like how she described TI, Too Short, and Twista appreciating the vision for ARTPOP. The song is good, fun to sing too, definitely miss the breakdown in Swinefest (sorry had to say it). But other then that, its ok. As I got to track 5, I noticed that the vocals are very different on this album, I don't know if its intentional, but idk, she obviously sounds amazing, and it sounds unlike the fame, FM, or BTW. But I do kinda wish she sang a bit more, her register is very low. 

Grade: B

6.) MANiCURE - Just amazing song, love the beginning (gives me Electric Chapel tea). Wish it was a bit longer, as I think it leaves a lot to be desired. Would love to ask DJWS and Gaga why this is like superrr short, Im sure theres a reason. Its amazing though, can't see it on radio really, but wouldn't be surprsied if it did well at some point. I like the Heal me not at the end of each verse, and the chorus slays already BUTTT, I hate how it goes like "hhhheeeAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL MEE." Like again, her register is so low!!! Idk, amazing song though, and CERTAINLY not a filler. 

7.) Do What U Want - I'll keep this one short and sweet with one word: Amazing. DJWS most diverse production, Gaga and R. Kelly work really well.

8.) ARTPOP - This song is interesting for me. Everyone loves it. I think it is the downright most unique song on the album, unique song of Gaga's career, and most unique production ( I Just said DWUW was DJWS's most diverse, but this tops it). I'm pretty sure this was one of the first fully produced songs when ARTPOP was beginning production, and you can tell it took reallllyyy long. I love it, very mesmerizing, however, someone from the GP listening to this I can see not liking/getting it as much as us. 

9.) Swine - This disappointed for me. The production is so loud, but her vocals don't match it. Again, I'm sorry for comparing to Swinfest, but, I did enjoy those vocals better. The verses are very dry, and there should have been a bridge to make the song more dynamic, instead, it ends giving me a very lackluster feeling. I definitely can jam to it, and my friends always like this beat. 

Grade: B-

10.) Donatella - One of the most lyrically diverse, and Zedds best production, I think in his career. I'm really happy the likes of Zedd and Madeon, even WILL.I.AM, produced songs not like those on their records or their prior productions. I like the lyrics, the OP a--lyzed these perfectly regarding fashion culture, but I wish he/she apprecaited the progression from track 10-11.

11.) Fashion! - When I heard this leak, I thought it was the most interesting sounding, I loved her vocals. I will admit that hearing the song from start to finish is kind of confusing. But I still love it, it's NOT  A FILLER, but just doesn't compare to the rest of the album. Will did a great job though stepping out of his comfort zone, and I personally like the fact that you can hear him in the song and he isn't featured. Shows how big Gaga got: That she can have a song with him, even a minute vocal part, but him as main producer, and the GP has no idea. 

Grade: B+

12.) Mary Jane Holland - MY ****ING GOD. THE BEST PRODUCTION. LOVE THE GUITAR, SO AMAZING. LYRICS ARE AMAZING. A great mix between Heavy Metal Lover and Bloody Mary (if i had to compare). Just amazing, second favorite.

13.) Dope - I'll admit that when I heard this for the first time, I was like WTF is wrong with her voice? She does go up and go down. What I'm most confused about is the fact that Rick Rubin is one of the most profound producers (He Co-produced Eminem's most recent album) and there really isn't much more production at all. This would be a good thing if it was IWBY as all of you can't seem to realize she deviated from, as that deserved no production. But I think more instrumentals would fit her vulnerable voice better. It's a great song, very sad, and one of my favorite ballads personally. (I'm not comparing it to Speechless). I was just confused when Gaga said this album is like a night out in the club and then this plays????

Grade: B+

14.) Gypsy - Have to say I was blown away/emotionally destroyed over the Berlin premiere of this song. Most amazing lyrics, and it really captured the point of the song. I do think the instrumentals are a little corny, but this is another instance of Madeon producing a song that sounds nothing like a prior production. It's a great song, and, yes, it will most likely be her biggest radio hit from this album (besides applause obviously). She sings the ending a little fast and it ends abrupt, but I love it.

15.) Applause - Amazing, perfect way to the end the album, love it more and more 3 months later. 

MelbHawker

GLUTAMATE'S REVIEW

Scoring scheme: 

0 (Bad Kids, MDNA) --------- 10 (DITD, BR, GH)

:deadbanana: 

I agree that it didn't really live up to the 'reverse-Wahrol' thing she talked about. The album cover did, the actual music didn't.

I'm literally 14 so that point is completely invalid. Nice try

That explains it. Apologies for making an inappropriate joke, I had no idea you're so young. You need to learn to speak to people in a more civilised way. If you disagree with my review, tell me your opinions - that's what forums are for! Discussion, not insulting.  :)

What songs do you think will be critically acclaimed?

I say G.U.Y, Gypsy and Mary Jane Holland will be loved.

G.U.Y will be universally loved. Gypsy might be criticised for being a little too euro/camp. I'd imagine critics would compliment Applause/DWUW in reviews as well. ARTPOP will be liked as well. 

Jesse Pinkman

U r absolutely retarted. This review sucks and so do u. Sorry not sorry. Bye

**** off lol

It's science, bitch

MonsterMarty

Without giving too much detail...

1. Aura - 7/10

It's a good opener, but its own opening isn't for me. It sounds unfinished in the intro and I do wish she left the screaming first verse in. But the instrumental is brilliant and the DANCESEXARTPOP(TECH) part is absolutely perfect.

2. Venus - 6.5/10

A good song with a great chorus. Love the GOOOO-OOOO-DESSSS of LOOOO-OOOVE part. Not here for the planets breakdown.

3. G.U.Y - 7/10

Snippet got us pumped and rightly so. Absolutely DIE when I hear the instrumental part after the first chorus and at the end with Gagz shouting.

4. Sexxx Dreams - 8.5/10

Sorry but this version is infinitely better than the Swinefest version. Brilliantly Gaga, edgy and catchy.

5. Jewels n' Drugs - 2/10

Excuse me no. I like Gaga being diverse but this isn't for me.

6. MANiCURE - 7/10

This song is good. But it's not as good or bad as some people are making it out to be.

7. Do What U Want - 7.5/10

Unexpectedly excellent from the moment Gaga premiered it. A good choice for the second single.

8. ARTPOP - 8.5/10

This song is getting a bad rap in most reviews. This was my jam from Swinefest and I'll have to be annoying and complain about something that changed. The HEEHEEs were fvckung perfect; this song and what it talks about is the perfect song to add in a mini-MJ homage. "Come to me, in all your subtext and fantasy" is the perfect first line for that MJ HEEHEE to follow. If they were included like at Swinefest this would go up a point for me.

9. Swine - 7/10

I ruined this song for myself listening to so many "leaked" versions that had such good build ups. The song still has most of the great stuff, but if it were a bit longer we could be teased more with better build-ups to beat drops.

10. Donatella - 3.5/10

I think I'm missing something. Oh well.

11. Fashion! - 5.5/10

Much better than Donatella, and throws us back to The Fame days. Not the best, but certainly not the worst.

12. Mary Jane Holland - 7/10

Wasn't sure about the snippet because I was still obsessing over Venus at the time, but this was surprisingly great. The bridge beats the chorus, and the electro intro is awesome.

13. Dope - 8/10

Simple, real and Gaga. It's so much more real than IWBWY, so for those stanning that go listen to it. They're similar in body, but on different levels of soul.

14. Gypsy - 9.5/10

The track of ARTPOP. Everything about it is absolutely perfect. Lyrically it's so good, and I was worried the studio version would lose some of that specialness that the Berlin acoustic set gave us. It doesn't; it adds infinitely to it. I genuinely don't understand someone not thinking this is one of the best songs Gaga has ever given us. "Will you go with me? See the world with me" autotune parts are the types of little touches that makes a good song great.

15. Applause - 8/10

The song that never dies (on the American charts). A good song to open ARTPOP with single-wise, and an even better one to close the album off with.

MelbHawker

Loving all these reviews. I gotta run, but please keep posting so I have something to read when I log on later! 

tumblr_mpt9njaSAY1qjdybto2_250.gif

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived