💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Artpop - Ricochetmatt's Review

Ricochetmatt

Featured Posts

Ricochetmatt

I'm writing this at 1:00 in the morning. So try to forgive any spelling mistakes and what not. I'm a little out of it.

Shortly before leaving for Vermont this afternoon I saw that ARTPOP had leaked and decided to give it a download... Have something to listen to on my drive up. Keep in mind, I fully intend on purchasing more than one copy of the album, so I don't feel bad and don't particularly care if anyone has any b---hing in regards to that. Moving on.

First off I'd like to say that in the future, I will not listen to any leaked tracks, LQ tracks or live performances that are anything but singles. I feel like this has ruined a part of the ARTPOP experience and I'm quite angry for having denied myself that wonder. What also upsets me about this is that even if I stick to this promise, there is no saying the next album will be anywhere near as good as ARTPOP. Has Gaga hit the top and is only moving downward from here? On to the review.

Aura - There isn't a whole lot to say on this track. The demo came out and ruled my life for a while. Then the studio version was released and I found myself let down a bit. The vocals went from powerful to weak and... I don't know, lazy? She sounds drunk. But I still enjoy the track. I wont listen to it every time I pop the CD in, but it's there when I want it.   

6/10

Venus - So much love for this song. It was a huge shocker for me. After hearng the preview I was expecting the worst. But that chorus man... It blows you away. Totally makes the song what it is. It's magical, it's exciting, it's fun and it's romantic. Do I think it would work as a single? Nope. Not at all. Dropping this for Do What You Want was a great idea. It's just not radio friendly. The world isn't ready for Venus. But I am.

8/10

G.U.Y. - Oh my lord... That intro. I knew right off the bat I was in for some awesomeness. But as soon as the intro ended, the song took an unexpected turn. Things got dark and a little more serious. And I like my Gaga dark. It's what she's good at. Great great lyrics, great sound, great track. My only complaint is that it went on a little too long. I found myself getting a little bored near the end. But not so much that it hurts the song in a bad way. I still dig it.

8/10

Sexxx Dreams - This was one of the songs I was most excited for. The iTunes performance slayed me so hard. But I found the album version to be... a little lacking. The instrumental seemed a little on the flat side when compared to the performance. And the new lyrics added to the chorus are a little off putting. The breakdown is really good, though. Wasn't expecting that. I just wish there was a little more to it. Maybe it'll grow on me. But for now I give it a...

7/10

Jewels N' Drugs - I don't have a whole lot to say about this track. The leak I downloaded contained a LQ version of this song and I couldn't tolerate the horrific sounds coming from my speakers. I didn't care much for the iTunes performance of this song anyway, so I feel like I'm not missing out on much. *shrug*

3/10

MANiCURE - YES! Fantastic track. Better than the iTunes performance, to be honest. It felt more rock n roll... it had more power... more soul. Unlike Sexxx Dreams, the new lyrics didn't throw me off at all. I was able to stay within the song and not lose track of the momentum. Even though I can't relate to most of the lyrics, I will glady jam out to this in the privacy of my own home... Or while driving down a lonely farm country road with no one around to hear or judge me. :p

8/10

Do What You Want - Brilliant collaboration. I doubted R. Kelly at first, but his singing was spot on in this track. And obviously Gaga as well. This is another song where the chorus owns all. Especially after R. Kelly's bit. I can't help but sing along...

8/10

ARTPOP - This is a touchy one for me. I love it, but at the same time I was a little let down by it. The "HeeHees" were too faint. I could barely hear any string instruments. Her vocals were not as good as the performance either. There was a little more power behind the iTunes Festival vocals. But that being said, I still have so much love for this track. The atmosphere of the song is out of this world... Makes me sway and dance in an almost primitive fashion. It's so unique... and mystical.

9/10

Swine - Ugh. Okay... The iTunes performance of this song blew me the hell away. It was brilliant. It was infectious. And then the demo/leak/whatever the hell it was had hit the web. Once again, I was blown away and fell in lover all over again. On my drive down to Connecticut the other day I had that **** playing on repeat. And now we have the studio version. Some of the great add-ons from the demo were missing, but managed to hold on to the more important ones. The vocals weren't as powerful as the iTunes performance but were much clearer. I guess the album version falls somewhere in between the iTunes one and the demo leak.

Swine is biggest tragedy for me. I feel like this mess could have been avoided had I not listened to the performance or the leak. I wanted to fall in love with this song for a third time and I never got that. I know such a thing is rare for any song... But I was really really hoping for a miracle. Had I not spoiled it, I would have been so ****ing happy with this track. I certainly wont skip this track when it comes on, but for the most part... I'm over it. Which is okay. Cause even though this didn't blow me away (again), a new Queen came strolling into my life and she's a little bit of a b---h. 

9/10 (I give it a nine due to past experiences with the track. It's my fault I was let down and can't hold it against the album version)

Donatella - Oh. My. God. Easily my second favorite track on the album. Almost hit the number one spot. It's so much fun. It has humor and energy. I can't take it. My body wasn't ready. I was jumping up and down in the car as though some surge of energy shot into my chest and made me its b---h. Even my fiance who isn't much of an EDM fan texted me just so he could express his love for it. Excellent track. Bravo, Gaga. Bravo. So glad I didn't ruin this song by listening to the LQ leaks.

9/10

FASHION! - Hmmmm.... I don't have a whole lot to say on this one. I like it. A lot, actually. It's simple and has a lot of charm. I loved the Marry The Night referrence. Got a nice smile out of me. It was a bit of a surprise too, considering I loathe Will.i.Am. ARTPOP is done, sir. You may go back to sucking again.

7/10

Mary Jane Holland - Eeesh. What a mess. I know a lot of you find the "over-produced" crap to be annoying... But it definitely applies to this song. The audio was way too loud. I can barely hear what the hell she's saying. Too many things going on at the same time. I sat there thinking "What the hell? It's just a bunch of noise." I couldn't define anything about it other than the bridge... Which was epic. But that was the only saving grace for this track. I love the idea of it, I love the lyrics (that I could make out) but the execution was AWFUL.

3/10

DOPE - I really really miss 'I wanna Be With You'. So much. Why she changed it, I don't know. BUT I do enjoy Dope for what it is. It's strong, it's meaningful and I can appreciate it. My fiance on the other hand, did not. He was a huge sucker for IWBWY... His response was "Oh good for you, Gaga. You love your man more than you love dope... Way to be a normal person. Ugh..." 
7/10

GYPSY - Edge Of Glory 2.0 When the track first started I was a tad bit bored. I was thinking "Will this go somewhere interesting? I mean, the lyrics are nice but what is actually going on?" And then BAM! The chorus rips open my chest and forms a fist around my heart. I had such extreme goosebumps and even teared up a little. It was beautiful. It was moving. It was love. I had to play it a few times more just to fully comprehend the awesomeness of it. Much like Donatella, I knew very little about this track... and much like Donatella, it ****ed me long and hard. This track definitely falls into my top 5 favorite Gaga songs of all time. Gypsy is the star of ARTPOP.

10/10

Applause - Gonna keep this one short. It's fun, it's catchy, it's innocent. I dig it, I always have and always will. Perfect last track to an almost perfect album. You've got my applause, Gaga.

8/10

How does ARTPOP rate along side Gaga's other albums? I can actually say this is tied for first place with The Fame Monster. Maybe in time it'll rise above TFM or fall a little below... Either way, I'm very pleased with the album. Well worth the wait.

Ricochetmatt

Go to bed then :hug:

Not possible at this time, my friend. My computer is being worked on and I am overseeing the process. Also... The terrifying amount of energy drinks I consumed on the ride up has not yet worn off.

Iwannamanicure

MANiCURE - YES! Fantastic track. Better than the iTunes performance, to be honest. It felt more rock n roll... it had more power... more soul. Unlike Sexxx Dreams, the new lyrics didn't throw me off at all. I was able to stay within the song and not lose track of the momentum. Even though I can't relate to most of the lyrics, I will glady jam out to this in the privacy of my own home... Or while driving down a lonely farm country road with no one around to hear or judge me. :P

8/10

LMAO

Ricochetmatt

except that Dope was about us monsters. not her man.

Either way. lol That was just what he said.

Didymus

The ratings for Jewels N' Drugs, MANiCURE, Swine, Donatella, Mary Jane Holland and Dope are ridiculous.

Ricochetmatt

The ratings for Jewels N' Drugs, MANiCURE, Swine, Donatella, Mary Jane Holland and Dope are ridiculous.

How so? I'm open to discussion on it.

Didymus

Jewels N' Drugs and Dope are just so low :smh: But whatever, of course you have your own opinion :hug:

How so? I'm open to discussion on it.

Ricochetmatt

Jewels N' Drugs and Dope are just so low :smh: But whatever, of course you have your own opinion :hug:

I'm sorry. I just can't get into Jewels N' Drugs. When I heard she was tackling that genre I actually got very excited. But in the end it was just... Not that impressive. I don't hate it. But I don't really like it, either. Also, my version of it was LQ so I was basing it on the iTunes performance.

I said I liked Dope and I thought my rating was fair considering I fell in love with its original lyrics. But it wasn't as good as You and I. And her vocals weren't as good as Speechless.

What of the other tracks you listed? Were they rated too high? I stand by my rating for Swine and Donatella 100% though. :P

Squidward T

Agree with most of your ratings but would rate G.U.Y a 9/10, based on ALL reviews singles should be

G.U.Y

Donatella

Gypsy

Ricochetmatt

Agree with most of your ratings but would rate G.U.Y a 9/10, based on ALL reviews singles should be

G.U.Y

Donatella

Gypsy

G.U.Y. is a good song, no doubt. But like I said, it did seem to last a little too long and could have either been shortened or changed a bit near the end to keep it interesting. 

I definitely see Gypsy being a single at some point. Perhaps near the end of her ARTPOP run. Donatella would be cool to see as a single... But I'm not so sure it'll happen. Is this a GP friendly song?  G.U.Y. could work as well with some basic edits made to it. The intro would have to go. 

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived