💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Gaga Tweets New Applause Lyrics

Jesse Pinkman

Featured Posts

Galactic Mess

The flow

The catchiness

The acid references

This song is probably gonna be my favorite one from Gaga!

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kermit the frog

• Didymus

• elijahfan

• FATCAT

Kermit the frog

You hear the words sung from my lips

Forget the costumes forget the hip

I am here on the stage

Give me your applause, need you to engage

Where are these from? I really really like them too, not sure how I feel about the "hip" but I guess she can sing about personal things too...

Applause is shaping up to be her lyrically best song.

lodylody

Not liking this... :awkney: 

But I shall keep hope that this isn't the extent of her lyrical genius on the song...

Kermit the frog

I hate it. I mean, "bang the gong"? :flop: It's so obvious she sucks at rhyming, it's becoming embarassing.

"bang" and "gong" aren't supposed to rhyme though :huh:

And it's actually a really nice reference, not sure what you're talking about.

The flow

The catchiness

The acid references

This song is probably gonna be my favorite one from Gaga!

Which are those?

Kermit the frog

But I like metaphors and when you can relate to something just because you can interpret it in your own way Don't get me wrong, I love it when artists get personal, but I just can't imagine relating to the Applause lyrics at all. But that is okay I guess, she is writing about her own experiences not about mine

I get what you mean. I don't really relate to the things she sings about but I guess it's just because I don't care about that. I think it's nice that we'll finally get something straightforward :)

Doesn't the 'bang the gong' line just mean she's waiting for us (the audience/fans) to make a noise, to applaud, because that's what matters most; not the critics and their questioning of her, but the love her audience gives her. Our applause washes out the sound of anyone else. Her work is artistic and can be critiqued as such, but she doesn't care about the media and critics' opinions, but rather how the audience feels and that connection she has with them when she's on stage. I don't know, I guess it could be a reference to that show, just seems like a strange thing to immediately think of, but then I'm not really familiar with it. But I think she means us banging our (metaphorical) celebratory gong to spur her on and drown out negativity and doesn't mean people banging a gong to make her stop like they did on some show from the 70's. Obviously it's possible, just seems like a random thing to reference, but, like I said, I've never even heard of it and I'm not really well versed in American television from the 70's so I don't know if still holds some nostalgic relevance for people; I still can't imagine why she would reference a show that started before she was born and ended when she was 3? I don't know, to me it seems like just a coincidental thing and it's just a different way of talking about the sound of applause without saying the word 'applause', although I guess it's kinda cool if she is referencing it - it just feels random.

Also, I LOVE these lyrics - so excited to hear this song!

Edited by MonsterBrown

DriverMonster

It's called The Gong Show :)

:party:

For anyone who might not get the "gong" lyric, it's a reference to an old 1970s TV show called "The Gong" where amateur contestants would perform in front of a panel of judges to try and win money. If the judges didn't like the act, they banged a giant gong and the performer would be forced to stop.

It's essentially what America's Got Talent is today.

Galactic Mess

Me too! Applause's gonna sound like heaven :legend:

So good! I even instinctively read it with a melody

Galactic Mess

She's basically saying the critics are irrelevant compared to her fans. I think reference was a wrong choice of word. Humor would be better. I'm sorry if I got you confused for nothing.

"bang" and "gong" aren't supposed to rhyme though :huh:

And it's actually a really nice reference, not sure what you're talking about.

Which are those?

GagaMyBlood95

I just can't write here how excited I am about this song! The tile is really different, the lyrics seem to be very catchy, and with a nice MV, this could be one of her biggest songs in career so far!

Kermit the frog

She's basically saying the critics are irrelevant compared to her fans. I think reference was a wrong choice of word. Humor would be better. I'm sorry if I got you confused for nothing.

It's ok! :) I thought you meant acid as d--g

ooooooops

I love the role reversal - usually it's the critics in control of the gong (I got the Gong Show reference the moment I read it) but she's asking her fans to take the gong back and bash the critics out.

• Shadow locked this topic