Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Interscope was VERY smart with the ARTPOP release dates

Klou

Featured Posts

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ursula Buffay

Don't forget- if the video is released the same day as the single that could have positive implications as well. 

Yes please :excited2:. No need to wait until September to release the video.

Born Brave

Yes please :excited2:. No need to wait until September to release the video.

With her shooting the video this week I would not rule this out.. she is coming for weaves and sparing no expense. 

Teal Ambition

Theres also Black Friday in November, that might help the sales

▌│█║▌║▌║ before I am Canadian, I am Chromatican ║▌║▌║█│▌

Galactic Mess

But the fans will, and that will give the album longevity with a second surge in sales during black friday.

A lot of people wont buy the album the first week, since it'll Be discounted two weeks later.

I don't mean to sound negative but I slightly disagree with you. While I do think the week positioning and closeness to the VMAs is great, I think the lead single/album gap is going to be a killer again, especially at this time of year.

Lil Wayne had a gap of over 6 months between his lead single and his 2011 album, and it sold great. Better than Kanye who dropped everything all at once for Yeezus.

Calvin Harris was releasing single for about 10 months before 18 months, it went #! UK and had longevity.

Gaga has has the jazz album to keep excitement going between August and November.

MarkoLilMonster

I don't mean to sound negative but I slightly disagree with you. While I do think the week positioning and closeness to the VMAs is great, I think the lead single/album gap is going to be a killer again, especially at this time of year.

If you read a lot of the BTW retrospectives that many online magazines were running, most of them picked the lead single/album gap as one of the reasons why BTW peaked quickly and then began to fizzle out. By the time the album actually came out, we had had the lead single, another single, and a promotional single, as well as the Government Hooker and Scheisse previews from the Mugler shows - and then Marry the Night was previewed like a week or two before release. This meant that when the actual album came out everyone had already heard anywhere between two and six songs so when the album finally dropped it didn't feel very fresh. ARTPOP (when Gaga talks about it) has always been talked about as being fresh - it might lose that if she oversaturates herself between the lead single drop and the album drop. While, yes, we probably won't have the Mugler previews etc with ARTPOP, she still runs the risk (at least in my mind) of dropping out of people's minds by the time the album comes out. Even if it hits #1 and stays at #1 for 5 weeks, that's STILL not even touching the album release date. Not a good place to be.

I know everyone constantly goes on about how TFM was so much better etc and I'm not here to do that but I am here to say that the gap between Bad Romance and TFM release was 3/4 weeks. That, in my opinion, was perfect because people were still getting the good vibes from Bad Romance by the time the album dropped. That was obviously compounded by the quick tour (which, tbh, I would like Gaga to do again - none of this BTWB stuff pls T_T) but I think the main thing is that the gap was really short. Gaga exploded onto the radio and stayed in people's minds.

Now as for the time of year, while TFM was released at the same time, it was really dark (which worked for the winter seasons). Hopefully ARTPOP will be dark but also fun (yes, that can happen - have you heard of black comedy?), because if it is solely 'fun' music it might run the risk of being out of season. Less people go to parties and clubs during winter compared to summer as well, as it's too cold and students are busy studying.

That said, it is close to Christmas so hopefully everyone will be getting a copy of ARTPOP stuffed into their stockings and I really really do hope that the album sells well. I'll be buying a copy of everything that comes out to do with it on day one.

Yeah, I agree with you, I think she should release album 1 month after the single. i don't want the same situation like with BTW 

Lil Wayne had a gap of over 6 months between his lead single and his 2011 album, and it sold great. Better than Kanye who dropped everything all at once for Yeezus.

Calvin Harris was releasing single for about 10 months before 18 months, it went #! UK and had longevity.

Gaga has has the jazz album to keep excitement going between August and November.

Ohh I forgot about that, then I understand why is such a long gap between single/album 

hughdancy

1. We don't know if the jazz album is coming out between August and November and I don't see how that would HELP ARTPOP... if you read my post it mentioned the oversaturation of Gaga as one of BTW's issues.

2. Yes, but are those typical cases or are those exceptions? Besides, if the gap is more than a couple months it's probably because the lead single wasn't released to promote the album, but just happened to be a single that made it onto the album.

1. We don't know if the jazz album is coming out between August and November and I don't see how that would HELP ARTPOP... if you read my post it mentioned the oversaturation of Gaga as one of BTW's issues.

2. Yes, but are those typical cases or are those exceptions? Besides, if the gap is more than a couple months it's probably because the lead single wasn't released to promote the album, but just happened to be a single that made it onto the album.

The overexposure in BTW era was the fault of continual hype since late 2008.

She's been talking about BTW themes on tour for a year, all the pop girls had their self-love or anti-bullying songs out before Feb 2011. There was no real cool down between Just Dance and Marry the Night.

In a strong era, you want several months of good sustained hype full throttle for the artist, and then let her disappear and cool down between albums.

Taylor did it almost the same Slightly greater than 2 month gap between lead single and album. Lots of promo singles hitting the chart.

Justin Drew Bieber

I love Blurred Lines but it has to make way for ARTPOP

HausOfMark

aggreed!

they are doing a great job!!

She needs to hurry though and start promoting.

-Mark

LadyGagaStan93

If you read a lot of the BTW retrospectives that many online magazines were running, most of them picked the lead single/album gap as one of the reasons why BTW peaked quickly and then began to fizzle out. By the time the album actually came out, we had had the lead single, another single, and a promotional single, as well as the Government Hooker and Scheisse previews from the Mugler shows - and then Marry the Night was previewed like a week or two before release. This meant that when the actual album came out everyone had already heard anywhere between two and six songs so when the album finally dropped it didn't feel very fresh. ARTPOP (when Gaga talks about it) has always been talked about as being fresh - it might lose that if she oversaturates herself between the lead single drop and the album drop. While, yes, we probably won't have the Mugler previews etc with ARTPOP, she still runs the risk (at least in my mind) of dropping out of people's minds by the time the album comes out. Even if it hits #1 and stays at #1 for 5 weeks, that's STILL not even touching the album release date. Not a good place to be.

I know everyone constantly goes on about how TFM was so much better etc and I'm not here to do that but I am here to say that the gap between Bad Romance and TFM release was 3/4 weeks. That, in my opinion, was perfect because people were still getting the good vibes from Bad Romance by the time the album dropped. That was obviously compounded by the quick tour (which, tbh, I would like Gaga to do again - none of this BTWB stuff pls T_T) but I think the main thing is that the gap was really short. Gaga exploded onto the radio and stayed in people's minds.

Now as for the time of year, while TFM was released at the same time, it was really dark (which worked for the winter seasons). Hopefully ARTPOP will be dark but also fun (yes, that can happen - have you heard of black comedy?), because if it is solely 'fun' music it might run the risk of being out of season. Less people go to parties and clubs during winter compared to summer as well, as it's too cold and students are busy studying.

That said, it is close to Christmas so hopefully everyone will be getting a copy of ARTPOP stuffed into their stockings and I really really do hope that the album sells well. I'll be buying a copy of everything that comes out to do with it on day one.

Born This Way's wait was longer, not to mention that she also botched up the singles longevity by releasing it a few days earlier. Technically she will be fine, you wont have to worry about numbers, that isn't the issue. Nor is the issue of her releasing her single a few months before the album a lot of artist do that and sell perfectly fine. She just needs to find ways to keep her current single alive. 

Also TFM was dance music, and although it was a bit dark, it still could have been released in the summer. People still do part during the winter, and if she plays her cards right she could have a some songs left over to release DURING the summer of 2014. They just can't rush everything or else it'll be screwed.

Archived