💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

Lady Gaga's manager: 'CDs are still a huge business'

Bye

Featured Posts

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/15/4227682/lady-gagas-manager-cds-are-still-a-huge-business

Not strictly Gaga related but interesting read nonetheless.

At AllThingsD's Dive Into Mobile conference today, Troy Carter, head of entertainment management company Atom Factory and Lady Gaga's manager, noted that "CDs are still a huge business" that drive some 70 percent of an album's revenue compared to 30 percent digital  iTunes, Google Play, and so on.

"The physical CD is still the driver right now. Not just from the industry perspective, but from the fan perspective. Walmart has a pretty big CD business," he said, adding that Target had been responsible for moving over 300,000 copies of Justin Timberlake's latest album in the early days of its release.

The continued importance of physical media might come as a surprise to many: Samsung's Experience Shops are in the process of displacing CD and DVD racks in many Best Buys, and hundreds of millions of smart devices globally are capable of downloading tracks directly. That's not to say that Carter is betting on the long-term viability of media that many have long since written off  he predicts that music consumption could go completely mobile over the course of the next three to five years.

Indeed, Carter is working with Lady Gaga on releasing an app as part of her next album, noting that it could help restore the lost experience of a vinyl release's liner notes and album art that he enjoyed as a kid. Of course, this isn't the first time the music industry has collaborated with tech luminaries to try to bring that experience back into the fold  iTunes Extras, for instance, which was met with limited success. Cost could be part of the problem. "These applications are going to cost more than the actual album to do... it'll take a while to get there."

Carter is hopeful that Lady Gaga's app  specifically, the infrastructure behind it  will help pave the way for smaller musicians to augment their albums. In the meantime, though, the Walmart shelf remains as important as ever.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

Don't get what he's saying. He says that apps are more expensive but that smaller artists could use it? I'm guessing they won't be able to pay for it. But maybe in time, indeed.

Also, I think there are still plenty of people who love "the lost experience" he describes. But yeah.. I'm probably just old-fashioned. I'm very excited to see how ARTPOP will re-define the music industry :legend:

Yeah, I try to buy all of my faves' music on CD. For ARTPOP I guess I'll get the CD and the App.

giskardsb

Don't get what he's saying. He says that apps are more expensive but that smaller artists could use it? I'm guessing they won't be able to pay for it. But maybe in time, indeed.

Also, I think there are still plenty of people who love "the lost experience" he describes. But yeah.. I'm probably just old-fashioned. I'm very excited to see how ARTPOP will re-define the music industry :legend:

Much like littlemonsters.com and Backplane, it sounds like they are building an app infrastructure that they will make available to other artists so they don't have to write it from scratch.

Didymus

Much like littlemonsters.com and Backplane, it sounds like they are building an app infrastructure that they will make available to other artists so they don't have to write it from scratch.

Aaah, I see. That's very interesting. I'd love it if they got credited for that in the future.

Forrest Gump

places like walmart and the like don't sell a lot of indie albums so it's another way of marketing i guess?

TSUNAMI

I think other artist will use her layout of app. They will just customise it for other artists.!

Didymus

I think other artist will use her layout of app. They will just customise it for other artists.!

Changing the music industry once again :flutter: Let's just hope she gets credit for that.

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived