💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

opinion

Official Joker: Folie À Deux Review & Discussion Thread

RAMROD

Featured Posts

Hennycomb
10 minutes ago, gerrygaga said:

ooooh by the way, i think Gaga made Joker 2 camp & theater which is VERY DIFFERENT from the 1st film, but i think not all straights can appreciate that camp. Different people have different opinions i guess, they can think what they want. I enjoyed it. 

Low key the vibe I'm getting is that people wanted Arthur to continue going downhill, being lonely, getting angry and then killing the entirety of Gotham with super cool scenes of murder and explosions.

Edited by Hennycomb

gerrygaga

My other guess is: people felt Gaga was too underused because they were waiting for her every damn time. what I did was different, I was absorbed in the film that I had to adjust how I sit in order for me to listen carefully and focus on what was being said/what was happening. (I do this actually a lot when I watch anime series too.) And with that, I felt Gaga was there almost the entire time.

Again, different people have different opinions, so u might feel a different way than what i felt. My suggestion is, focus on the film, listen carefully, watch the 1st film too in case u haven't.

• Like 3
  • YAAAS 1

gerrygaga
Just now, Hennycomb said:

I haven't watched it but low key the vibe I'm getting is that people wanted Arthur to continue going downhill, being lonely, getting angry and then killing the entirety of Gotham with super cool scenes of murder and explosions. Or am I tripping?

I am gonna be silent on this to avoid spoilers.  

• Thanks 1

Ziggy

What I’ll say is that the title of the movie kind of implies to people that it’s about their mutual romance and it’s shared screen time: the trailers do, too. So I can see why critics would be looking for more of her even if her presence is “felt”

Gardevoir
5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

What I’ll say is that the title of the movie kind of implies to people that it’s about their mutual romance and it’s shared screen time: the trailers do, too. So I can see why critics would be looking for more of her even if her presence is “felt”

To be fair the trailers do not portray it as a „equal” story. If you know what I mean. There is much more Joker than Harley in those. At first I thought they didn’t want to spoil too much or left the Harley presence for a movie itself. But from the trailers alone I would assume that her role is slightly less visible. I haven’t watched the movie yet by the way.

Edited by Gardevoir
Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Ziggy
4 minutes ago, Gardevoir said:

To be fair the trailers do not portray it as a „equal” story. If you know what I mean. There is much more Joker than Harley in those. At first I thought they didn’t want to spoil too much or left the Harley presence for a movie itself. But from the trailers alone I would assume that her role is slightly less visible. I haven’t watched the movie yet by the way.

I just mean wasn’t one trailer basically from Gaga’s pov? I totally get what you mean but I feel like even if they don’t explicitly make it seem like even screen time, I don’t think it does enough to reject it either and the title kinda makes it seem like a dual lead situation. Personally, I’m fine with it being this but the launch video was the two dancing, the title talks about the *two of them. Idk I get where people could be feeling misled hahahaha

Edited by Ziggy

Gardevoir
7 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I just mean wasn’t one trailer basically from Gaga’s pov? I totally get what you mean but I feel like even if they don’t explicitly make it seem like even screen time, I don’t think it does enough to reject it either and the title kinda makes it seem like a dual lead situation. Personally, I’m fine with it being this but the launch video was the two dancing, the title talks about the *two of them. Idk I get where people could be feeling misled hahahaha

Which one though? Cause I always felt like they showed the same scenes with Gaga. Maybe a little bit extended on different trailers but still adding new ones from Joker’s perspective.

Yeah, the title itself is true. 

Edited by Gardevoir
Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

Debithius

This movie definitely flirts with the musical genre, but it’s not a full on musical. Every song really works with the darker themes, and it left me feeling super uncomfortable. By the end, I was speechless, filled with sadness, tons of questions, and a weird sense of empathy. It’s way darker and harder to watch than the first one. Honestly, I can totally see Joaquin winning Best Actor, and Gaga has a real shot at Best Supporting Actress. I also don't think they underused Gaga, her screen time makes sense. 

I also got the huge official movie poster from my local cinema! They had a seat lottery, and I actually won. I was so stoked, they use the same posters to promote the movies outside and inside the theater.

• Love 7

stupidLuv

Glad to see a similar review of mine! Like all these complainers saying she’s underutilized by reviews they’ve read but haven’t seen the movie (and even those who have and still say the same) I know who to NOT trust with reviews lol 

Romkance

Very interesting, thank you :kiss:can't wait to watch the film!

Xoxo, Romkance🖤

Roughhouse Dandy

Love hearing monsters on here actually enjoying this film!

This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • Thanks 3

Gagarka
Spoiler

It's important to get the ending right: the Joker, played by Joaquin, became the inspiration for the guy who killed him and who would essentially become the Joker as we imagine him: a criminal mastermind who kills people. He laughs and carves his smile with a knife like in a comics. 
The movie is great. Logically concludes the story and gives it a meaning. 
There's really not enough Gaga, although her character plays an important role in the story. 

9/10. 

• YAAAS 1

bpmMonkey

I think I really enjoyed the film, eventho it felt at its core completely different to the first one. The first was really all about Arthur and basically a one man play, where now the story had to handle so many more characters. 
I also absolutely get what Gaga means by saying she just wasn’t finished with Quin. She did a great job in giving that role a life and personality and the movie somewhat underused her, then again it wasn’t about her.. 

• Like 2

juicyjuicy

I just went to a screening of the film and have to say that I am VERY disappointed… it just didn’t need to be made. The only redeeming quality was Gaga and Phoenix’s acting. Otherwise, it was garbage.

And the musical aspects did not work. At all. If anything, it actually brought the film down. Felt like a parody at quite a few points. I almost fell asleep.

• Like 1
  • Shook 1
  • Sad 1

CyanDante
3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Yep. Thats what I figured as well. But it felt like the madness for two was Arthur himself. Him and the Joker persona.

I'm not very good with Social Mediaᵀᴹ
  • YAAAS 1