šŸ’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA šŸ’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Gaga Makes Fun of Hell In Edge of Glory

crazygato

Featured Posts

crazygato

Hey guys, another interesting insight I found!!!

When she sings "Put on your shades cuz I'll be dancing in the FLAMES, it isn't HELL if everybody knows my name tonight...":firega:

Ok, we all know the song is about immortality, she told us that back in 2011. But its an obvious reference to it, she just intertwines it with her celebrity status/ personal story. I always get a kick out of that line, she is wearing her shades, dancing, and all happy in a place that, religiously, is tormenting and torture. Is this the first sign of "dancing through the pain"?Ā 

What say you? I personally never believed in a fiery, tormenting hell that many religions believe, including pagan ones. I read a book called "Heaven & Hell" by Robert D. Ehrman where he deconstructs the popular ideas of heaven and hell and what they are like. He is also atheist/agnostic so very interesting read and it got me thinking of the goregeous and ethereal final track on the magnificent album BORN THIS WAY!!!:kiss:

Ā 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Real Panda

I dont think Gaga is making fun of religious hell. She only uses it as a metaphor. In response to your "whats say you?", I dont believe in a biblical hell. I am open to the idea of reincarnation though. I think "hell" is what they used to scare people back in the day so they would be "good" or for society to obey the rules way back when and to some it is still applicable today.

A majority of humanity also needs a sense of control to the things they do not understand. Its easier to say that the sun is above us because God wills it so but difficult to explain how it is not above earth but rather the central part of our solar sytem.Ā 

• Like 2

Schwerk

Interesting, but I don't remember her saying it's about immorality. I though it's about not being afraid of death and reaching that glorious moment. Let's all dance together in purgatory she said. She's not afraid of judgement day, she will face the flames wearing her shades and dance through them cause she's convinced she'll be reunited with her loved ones. And you're right, she doesn't mean a litteral hell with flames, but al the pain and suffering of life they got through together.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch
  • Like 3

madmagical6

Literally listened to it earlier and was drawn to those lyrics! How weird!Ā 

I think thereā€™s an emotional state meaning. She wrote these words while becoming a superstar. She talked before about the ā€œprice of fameā€ and lack of everyday human interactions (she canā€™t just walk in the street/to a restaurant without getting recognized). Maybe she experienced her rise to fame as hell sometimes, and she tried to self empower herself by saying ā€œIā€™ll be dancing in the flamesā€, as ā€˜Iā€™ll be dancing in this sphere where Iā€™m a famous artist but Iā€™ll fight to be happy, and stay in, while it might hurt sometimesā€™

• Like 2

crazygato
11 minutes ago, Schwerk said:

immorality.

Sorry I meant to say mortality like death.Ā 

She isnā€™t necessarily making fun of it.
Ā 

Itā€™s kinda like in The Queen, she sings, ā€œstarry night come inside me like never before donā€™t forget me when I come crying to heavens doorā€ or Judas, ā€œin the most biblical sense I am beyond repentanceā€

I feel like sheā€™s just connected more to the/her darkness. ā€œThe Art of Darknessā€ like she would say during some AHS press.Ā 

• Like 1

Lextyr97

Since she said she wrote this about her grandfather who was cremated, I thought that line was ā€œI know youā€™re dancing in the flames,ā€ that were cremating him. Celebrating life forever essentially

• Like 1

Cybikitty
1 hour ago, madmagical6 said:

Literally listened to it earlier and was drawn to those lyrics! How weird!Ā 

genuinely same though??Ā :gum:Ā what have they laced this song with tonight

• Love 1
  • Shook 1

Nessun Dorma

We should have more lyrics discussions around here! I find your interpretation very interesting @crazygatoĀ (the dancing through the pain thing). I have a religious take on this song, Iā€™ll try to explain my thoughts!Ā 

Since it was inspired by Gagaā€™s late grandfather and the forbidden love her grandparents had, the way I see, the song alternates points of view from both of them. The edge of glory, as Gaga said, suggests a moment of accomplishment in lifeā€™s journey. The part you mention goes:Ā Ā 

Another shot, before we kiss the other side (..) Iā€™m on the edge of something final we call life tonight

ā€œWe kiss the other sideā€ gives me the idea their love will linger through eternity. He also acknowledges he is ready to rise to greatness.Ā 

Pull out your shade ā€™cause Iā€™ll be dancing in the flames (..) It isn't hell if everybody knows my name

ā€œDancing in the flamesā€Ā gives me the idea of rising from the ashes, as if he is thriving through his glorious moment. And ā€œit isn't hell if everybody knows my nameā€ makes me think heā€™s referring to his loved ones who passed away and that he gets to see again after his death (it canā€™t be hell if heā€™s reunited with his folks).Ā 
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Nessun Dorma
find your freedom in the music
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

crazygato
1 hour ago, Nessun Dorma said:

Dancing in the flamesā€Ā gives me the idea of rising from the ashes, as if he is thriving through his glorious moment. And ā€œit isn't hell if everybody knows my nameā€ makes me think heā€™s referring to his loved ones who passed away and that he gets to see again after his death (it canā€™t be hell if heā€™s reunited with his folks).Ā 
Ā 

Very beautifully said! I always envisioned Gaga but now I see it its from two different point of views (her grandma and grandpa). I cant imagine Gaga wrote this as a 24 year old, very poetic and alludes to many things. This why I love her!