💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Critic’s Opinions: Woman's World

palma

Featured Posts

palma

Halsey's favorite music reviewer has just published an article on Katy's new single :partysick: Read below :partysick:

---

Defying all sense of taste, the pop singer’s comeback single is too dispiriting to even approach camp. It’s abysmal.

There is nobody better at committing to the bit than Katy Perry. When singing in Simlish, she puts her whole diamond into it. Her Vegas residency, launched in 2021 during the absolute nadir of her career, featured an extended setpiece in which she interacted with a giant toilet. Sometimes, the universe completes the bit for her: “The One That Got Away” was the only single from her gargantuan 2010 album Teenage Dream that didn’t reach No. 1 on the Hot 100. She is pop music’s Jenna Maroney, meeting every challenge with a vacant stare and nothing less than 150% commitment.

This is Perry’s greatest strength as well as her fatal flaw. When she half-asses something, you can really tell: Rhyming “trouble” with “bubble” would be a slam-dunk on a track about a sexy foam party, but Katy wasted it on a reggae song about the dangers of technology, or whatever. But when it comes to politics, Perry just seems bored, so much so that a comeback single titled “Woman’s World” seems like a foregone conclusion. And yet, when she describes women as “so intelligent,” she sings it in this halting, unintentionally patronizing rhythm that leaves you no choice but to assume she’s being sarcastic. Now that’s a good bit.

With its pulsating synths and steamroller chorus, “Woman’s World” is clearly modeled on Lady Gaga’s 2020 single “Stupid Love,” a brazen return to form that successfully launched Gaga into the second act of her career. There seems to have been a miscalculation, though: “Stupid Love” worked not because of its sound but because it took the core elements of Gaga’s music—slightly nonsensical lyrics, acid-trip concept, a general struggle with vowels—and turned them up to 11. It’s mystifying why Perry would have chosen to mount her comeback with a vaguely political song—you just get the sense that she just doesn’t really like or care about this stuff.

Even if “Woman’s World” didn’t sound like its author had to have feminism explained to her by the top half of the first page of Google, its message of empowerment would have rang false, simply because it was co-written and co-produced by Dr. Luke, the producer Kesha accused, in a since-dismissed lawsuit, of sexual assault and emotional abuse—allegations he denied. It’s sincerely twisted, if unsurprising—I generally believe you have to be at least be something of an amoral hypocrite to be a celebrity or pop star, and fair play to those willing to do it—but it also reveals “Woman’s World” to be even more of a monumental catastrophe: If Perry was willing to cop the built-in bad press of making a song about women’s lib with an alleged abuser, shouldn’t the song at least be a banger? Instead, it’s unfathomably tepid, irritating at best. In the immortal words of Sister Catherine Rose Holzman, uttered moments before she died: “Katy Perry, please stop.” [:deadbanana:]

---

SL being perceived as SOTY in comparison to a new drop was not in my bingo cards for 2024 but here we are :poot: The lashings won't stop anytime soon I fear :poot:

Spoiler

STREAM JOYRIDE :lolly:

• Like 9
  • LMAO 23
  • YAAAS 8
  • Love 3
  • Shook 3
  • Thanks 9

Roughhouse Dandy
3 minutes ago, palma said:

She is pop music’s Jenna Maroney,

This is super-villian language omfg

This is my Hannah Montana™️ lipgloss.
  • LMAO 11

HelloHangoverz

It's the musical equivalent of this

D-FmZanVAAA0MmB.jpg

sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • Like 1
  • LMAO 26

SOON
5 minutes ago, palma said:

Halsey's favorite music reviewer

tumblr_msg010qBBm1qf5do9o1_400.gif

gaga, halsey, lorde, taylor, dua
  • LMAO 14
  • YAAAS 1

Plastic Flower
7 minutes ago, palma said:

“Katy Perry, please stop.”

:lmao:

Drop it
  • LMAO 13

palma
2 minutes ago, Roughhouse Dandy said:

This is super-villian language omfg

she worked hard to receive this reaction she had that 50-meter-long dress and everything

26xBIpmyVKnC7BZYY.gif

• LMAO 17

clementine

P4K?

Confused Thinking GIF

Can I... borrow a piece of your chicken?
  • LMAO 1

palma
Just now, clementine said:

P4K?

Confused Thinking GIF

Pitchfork :bear:

• Like 1
  • LMAO 1

palma

Dazed magazine also published a review and said "Woman’s World’ sounds like it was designed by a committee in a boardroom at Capitol Records whose sole objective was a sync on RuPaul’s Drag Race and generating comments of ‘you ate’ from white gays living in West Hollywood" :rip:

It's bad for her :rip: (but I'm living for the lashings :billie:)

• LMAO 27

lastpopicon

She's getting dragged everywhere :billie:

The melody that you choose can rescue you
  • LMAO 1
  • YAAAS 1

HelloHangoverz

Although we were all expecting it, I'm in shock at just how scathing the reviews are. But she doesn't have a hard task. All she needs to do is dig deep and present something that's honest to herself. Stop with every move being calculated and forced. Why is that so hard? The only answer is that there's nothing underneath the surface, just more surface. She was always the stereotypical Black Mirror popstar.

Edited by HelloHangoverz
sometimes he saw his real face, and sometimes a stranger in his place
  • Like 18

TheOriginalOne

Retribution for Roar vs Applause

Happy Olivia Wilde GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 1
  • LMAO 18
  • YAAAS 4
  • Thanks 2

Didymus

It deserves to be bashed but so does SL :rip: It is literally just as basic and unimaginative. It's just getting the benefit of the doubt now because it's more familiar.

Lbr, if Katy released SL this forum would've also annihilated her. Justifiably. And that actually goes for a lot of Chromatica.

• Like 6
  • LMAO 1
  • Shook 4
  • Sad 14
  • Thanks 5

IllusionLover

Sometimes I wonder if Katy is trying to get canceled on purpose :bionic:

Edited by IllusionLover
13 | this is my dancefloor i fought for, your voice is louder, it echoes
  • Thanks 2

• SharkmanthaC changed the title to Critic’s Opinions: Woman's World