question

Is Taylor trying to prove Bart Baker right?

Dennis

Featured Posts

Dennis
Posted (edited)

So I've been thinking about this, for those who don't know Bart Baker, he used to make parody videos of Taylor Swift music videos, and the plot is usually that Taylor is quite evil and mean (with satirical hyperbole ofc)

I've been thinking about her recent behavior, sending cease and desist letters to environmental activists, blocking SZA, blocking Billie, publicly shaming her exes...

Is she trying to live up to this persona? :billie: I rewatched this and i'm like why does this sound terribly accurate 

Edited by Dennis
  • LMAO 3

27monster27
Posted (edited)

I get what you are saying but let's not give Bart Baker a pass.

Him and that whole parody era was heavily rooted in misogyny and slut shaming and everyone should be happy it's over (there was also occasional racism and queerphobia). Stan non-problematic people like Weird Al instead.

Edited by 27monster27
he/him/his
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 15

Quentin

Please Gaga, announce something :pray:

Follow every rainbow till you find your dream
  • LMAO 13
  • Thanks 1

Railing
12 minutes ago, Dennis said:

publicly shaming her exes

When are we gonna end this narrative? :laughga: Taylor's a romantic person, and she's also somebody whose way of processing emotions is through music. She doesn't go to therapy, she puts a pen to paper & turns what she's dealing with into art.

If you're gonna say Taylor's wrong for having done that, you'd have to shame EVERY artist who does that. Including Gaga. Perfect Illusion being her first single after a broken-off engagement was not subtle lmao

• Like 4

Future Lovers
Posted (edited)

I don't maybe it's just me but I can't help but feel like referring to a pop singer you don't like as evil is bizarre behavior. Like genuinely go outside and maybe talk to a real human being, breathe some fresh air, get off the internet for a little bit bizarre behavior.

There are genuinely evil people in the world who do genuinely evil things that bring harm to millions and millions of people. Taylor Swift liking the charts a little too much isn't that. Dislike her all you want, but let's not go there. There's plenty more in life to care about and plenty more people worth criticizing than Taylor Swift. 

Also, let's not raise up Bart Baker content in general, but especially when it's dripping in misogyny like most of the "jokes" his parodies make toward the females he's choosing to make fun of. 

Edited by Future Lovers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dennis
Just now, Railing said:

When are we gonna end this narrative? :laughga: Taylor's a romantic person, and she's also somebody whose way of processing emotions is through music. She doesn't go to therapy, she puts a pen to paper & turns what she's dealing with into art.

If you're gonna say Taylor's wrong for having done that, you'd have to shame EVERY artist who does that. Including Gaga. Perfect Illusion being her first single after a broken-off engagement was not subtle lmao

Well she should be aware of the magnitude of her status.

In some cases it's deserved, but what did Joe Alwyn do? He seems like a private person and wants to avoid drama.

I think dating people like that, and then dragging them into the public eye with songs written about them, or shady comments is not good behavior.

And it's not about that, what she did to SZA and Billie is bad. Like seriously, how bad of a person do you have to be to try to block a fellow female artist from #1?

• Like 2

Dennis
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Future Lovers said:

I don't maybe it's just me but I can't help but feel like referring to a pop singer you don't like as evil is bizarre behavior.

The "evil" part was about the plot of the parody though? Obviously parodies are a hyperbole per say, not meant to be taken literally.

Edited by Dennis

Future Lovers
1 minute ago, Dennis said:

In some cases it's deserved, but what did Joe Alwyn do? He seems like a private person and wants to avoid drama.

She hasn't really flamed Joe Alwyn btw. 

TTPD is primarily about Matty Healy. Most of the tracks that can be connected to Joe and their breakup don't paint him in a particularly villainous light, and even if they are critical of him, they're often just as self-critical and she expounds on her own mistakes in that relationship as well. 

By the weird standard people like to give to her breakup songs, he has gotten very little mud slung at him. 

• Thanks 5

Future Lovers
1 minute ago, Dennis said:

The "evil" part was about the plot of the parody though? Obviously parodies are a hyperbole per say.

The thread title is is she proving Bart Baker right. 

You're asking us if we think she's proving that she's the evil person his parody about her presented. 

Dennis
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Future Lovers said:

The thread title is is she proving Bart Baker right. 

You're asking us if we think she's proving that she's the evil person his parody about her presented. 

I can't believe I have to explain what a parody means in 2024, because these days people tak everything literally, a parody tends to exaggerate some factual elements about someone, resulting in a satirical hyperbole, not meant to be taken literally.

But anyway, this thread was meant to be criticism of her shady behavior lately and the last straw for me was trying to block a 22 year old fellow artist.

Y'all can make all the excuses you want, but it's just mean and bad behavior, to the point that it makes satire looks like reality.

Edited by Dennis
  • Thanks 1

Railing
3 minutes ago, Dennis said:

Well she should be aware of the magnitude of her status.

I think dating people like that, and then dragging them into the public eye with songs written about them, or shady comments is not good behavior.

If we're gonna decipher Midnights and TTPD, it really just seems that Joe and Taylor were mismatched, and Joe couldn't read her emotions, whereas Taylor felt suffocated by his lifestyle. That's the key conflict, and she never really "goes in" on him apart from that. 

Furthermore, on TTPD, most of what she has to say about Matty Healy is in-his-favor, talking about how badly she wanted to be with him, even in spite of backlash. The harshest things she has to say is that he has a bad public image (true) & he ghosted her (also seemingly true) :rip: It's much more of a heartbreak album than a roast

11 minutes ago, Dennis said:

And it's not about that, what she did to SZA and Billie is bad. Like seriously, how bad of a person do you have to be to try to block a fellow female artist from #1?

It's not "being a bad person" - it's business, and SZA and Billie aren't disadvantaged indie artist struggling for a hit. Even though Taylor's on-trend right now, they're all mainstream pop radio artists, and competition isn't a bad thing. Nobody would be saying this about another artist, just like how nobody cared about Dua, Billie, etc. pressing a ton of vinyl variants.

• Thanks 1

Dennis
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Railing said:

t's not "being a bad person" - it's business, and SZA and Billie aren't disadvantaged indie artist struggling for a hit. Even though Taylor's on-trend right now, they're all mainstream pop radio artists, and competition isn't a bad thing. Nobody would be saying this about another artist, just like how nobody cared about Dua, Billie, etc. pressing a ton of vinyl variants.

But the timing of it, her album was already #1 for 4 weeks. Even HDD, whic usually remains very neutral, called her out:

https://hitsdailydouble.com/near_truths_item&id=341283&title=NEAR-TRUTHS%3A-VARIANTS

TAKING BOWS: Chatter abounds about the news that Taylor Swift is doing a new D2C push expressly intended, it seems, to continue her run at #1 and prevent Billie Eilish from debuting at the top of the chart with her first album since 2021. Tay has held the top spot on the chart for four weeks now and is thought to be determined to hold onto it in the face of superstar Eilish’s big bow. Taylor’s THE TORTURED POETS DEPARTMENT is about to mark 3.5m in U.S. activity. The Swifties appear to be insatiable when it comes to anything in the Taylor store.

Eilish has plenty of parti-hued LP offerings in her own online shop, though, in the words of one member of her camp, she doesn’t “give two shits” about her first-frame chart standing. Eilish refused to drop a single ahead of the album release, emphasizing her focus on getting fans to listen to the entire work. The industry as a whole would very much like to see her bow in the top spot as recognition of her artistry.

Edited by Dennis

Aren

She’s not a good person. No billionaire is.

• Like 1

Ladle Ghoulash
1 hour ago, Railing said:

We can end this narrative when she stops using her tabloid flings to springboard her shitty music lmao 

• Thanks 1

Madame Goo Goo

I have seen people say Taylor is exactly like Kanye on this website already this week and now I have to deal with people comparing her to Bart Baker’s misogynistic asf portrayal of her as a vapid and satanic mass murderer….sigh

I literally hate Taylor Swift but can we not lose track of what is actually valid to criticize her on, not resort to hate speech and libel, and not shame her specifically for things that are criticisms of pop music and the music industry as a whole.

Lady Gaga doesn't owe us anything

• PartySick locked this topic