Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Eastern vs. Western Country Music

Maxine Puth

Featured Posts

Maxine Puth

Which do you prefer? For those of y’all who don’t know much about country, here’s a bit of a summary (although I’m sure someone else could say it better)

“Eastern” Country: derived in the 1600/1700s with the mixing of Scots-Irish immigrants and West African slaves mainly in the southern United States. The Scots-Irish brought with them their violins (fiddles) and folk songs, while West African slaves created banjos, an instrument similar to those they would have played in Africa. Eastern country also has rhythm patters that derive from west Africa as well. Many popular folk / country songs from the East consist of both the fiddle and the banjo, and are often more “energetic” compared to Western country. 

“Western” Country: Derived in the 1800s when American immigrants (along with a large number of Irish immigrants, due to the Irish potato famine) journeyed to newly acquired western lands. Much of these lands had large Latino populations due to Spanish / Mexican expansion, along with many still large native communities such as the Diné/Navajo, and the mixing of these ethnic groups and cultures would create what we know as western country. Western country is often more guitar heavy.

Edited by Maxine Puth

Maxine Puth
7 minutes ago, LateToCult said:

Whatever this kind is

Modern country :lolga: but taste I need to listen to some more Zach Bryan

• Like 2

JessFletch

Awesome thread; I know more than I did before. Both are beautiful, but I’m going to go with Western

⚫️
  • Like 2

RAMROD

I don't listen enough pure country to actually care.

But, I like the ones fusioned with contemporary genres such as pop, rock, hip hop, or dance music. So that includes some popular names such as Cash & Glen Campbell, among others 

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ WUMBOLOGY! (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
  • Like 2

faysalaaa
4 hours ago, Zaskar said:

Dolly Parton is which country?

Real country, but she does pop country from time to time, and its what shes known for

• Like 1

Oriane

I came here expecting to discover Chinese country or something like that and I was curious about it, I'm disappointed :air:

You popped my heart seams, all my bubble dreams
  • LMAO 1

Bronco
6 hours ago, Zaskar said:

Dolly Parton is which country?

She's done quite a varied selection of country sounds tbf. She started off in country at the time you had "Countrypolitan" which was designed to revive country music sales after the rise of rock'n'roll & was more "pop" than Eastern/Western Country/Honky Tonk & Outlaw Country. 

These days Dolly is basically every country lol