Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

The reason there NEEDS to be an album called Disco Demolition Night

HelloHangoverz

Featured Posts

HelloHangoverz

Ideally Gaga, but honestly ANYONE. Why? I'm currently reading about the history of House music from this article (https://www.iconcollective.edu/the-history-of-house-music) and it's honestly so fascinating. Quoting from the article:

1. The Death of Disco

The disco movement became a global “fad” in the late 70s, partly due to hit films such as “Saturday Night Fever” in 1977. Major record labels flooded the market to cash in on disco’s rise to the mainstream. Disco hits were dominating the Top 40 radio stations and topping the charts. However, disco’s mainstream popularity drew backlash from haters, and a “Disco Sucks” movement rose.

One of the most memorable and extreme anti-disco rallies was “Disco Demolition Night” at Comiskey Park, July 12, 1979. 

The anti-disco rally was led by Steve Dahl, a loudmouthed disc jockey who had been fired from a Chicago radio station when it went all-disco. Dahl expressed his frustrations on-air at his new job at a rock station. He also promoted “Death to Disco” rallies where he would destroy disco records.

However, Dahl made history when he organized the “Disco Demolition” event at Chicago’s Comiskey Park. Fans who brought a disco record could attend the doubleheader between the White Sox and the Detroit Tigers for only 98 cents. The event drew a massive crowd of over 59,000 people. After the first game, Dahl drove onto the field with a Jeep wearing a military uniform, leading the crowd in a chant of “disco sucks!” At the center of the field was a large collection of records rigged with dynamite. Dahl then detonated the crate of records. The explosion scattered records high into the air and left a crater in center field. Chaos then erupted when thousands of fans rushed the field, started fires by burning records, and vandalized the stadium. The riots and a ruined field forced the White Sox to forfeit the second game.

Disco-Demolition-Night-at-Comiskey-Park-

The popularity of disco declined substantially after “Disco Demolition Night.” The event also triggered a nationwide sentiment against disco. Many still believe the anti-disco movement expressed racism and homophobia. As a result, record sales fell, and the number of disco songs on the Billboard Top 10 went from six to zero in over eight weeks. US record labels had to look elsewhere, and DJs were forced to explore new mixing approaches to create dance music.

2. The Rise of House

House music became the first direct descendant of disco in the early 80s. It’s said “house was born from the ashes of Disco” after the launch of an anti-disco movement. Disco emerged in the early 70s as an underground movement born out of the urban gay culture in New York City. Predominantly LGBTQ, African American, and Latino communities popularized underground nightclubs and accelerated dance music culture. These clubs also provided safe havens for partygoers who wanted to escape from social issues and enjoy a euphoric experience away from public scrutiny. 

I just think the whole theme of House music rising from the ashes of Disco would make such an incredible sonic experience in terms of how it could actually sound. Imagine the major-key, lighthearted, whimsical riffs of Disco music steadily descending into the darker/sadder themes of thudding house beats over the course of the album? Imagine if Gaga did that? Literally my dream era:cryga:

Edited by HelloHangoverz
bottoms up....and the devil laughs
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 2

homomo

I read all of this, and now I want it. How dare you share amazing alternate realities that will never exist :bradley:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

HelloHangoverz
1 minute ago, homomo said:

I read all of this, and now I want it. How dare you share amazing alternate realities that will never exist :bradley:

I'm sorry :messga: whoever wrote that article deserves a Pultizer prize because how beautiful :cryga:

Edonis

That "event" had ties to white supremacy and homphobia. No thanks.

Edit: And although house music came from disco, it didn't come about through rejection of its root genre.

Edited by Edonis
  • LMAO 1

HelloHangoverz
1 minute ago, Edonis said:

That "event" had ties to white supremacy and homphobia. No thanks.

Yeah and House music, a notably black queer genre, rose from the ashes of the destruction that bigotry caused. I think that story of that rebirth would make an incredible album, sonically and thematically. 

• Like 4

Edonis
12 hours ago, HelloHangoverz said:

Yeah and House music, a notably black queer genre, rose from the ashes of the destruction that bigotry caused. I think that story of that rebirth would make an incredible album, sonically and thematically. 

Yeah but THAT particular event is not what led to the rise of house lol. On top of that, a narrative built on reclaiming a genre that was attacked by racist homophobes is not something I think Gaga can do in a convincing way if I'm being brutally honest. Just my opinion though. 

Now if she wants to craft a record showcasing the history of modern dance (from the 60s to now), I'd be all for that and think it's cool. But a concept album off of demolition night just seems off for her brand. 

Edited by Edonis
  • Like 1

tylerjs

Very interesting read! I’m not personally interested in a disco or house sound from Gaga (really just in general) at this point but I’m sure if she went for it she would do it very well!

Edited by soularpower
🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point

steven
2 minutes ago, soularpower said:

Very interesting read! I’m not personally interested in a disco or house sound from Gaga (really just in general) at this point but I’m sure if she went for it she would do it very well!

Same, I feel like the disco trend is already outdated. Gaga will probably come up with something fresh and unique.

tylerjs
1 minute ago, steven said:

Same, I feel like the disco trend is already outdated. Gaga will probably come up with something fresh and unique.

Exactly. I feel like it’s also just very easy to do? Like so many artists have done the “disco but today” vibe and it’s really quite boring. I really only enjoy original disco music from the era itself tbh, the new iterations just sound too manufactured. I’m also really not a fan of house music and find it generally pretty boring, so I hope she does something very unexpected and sonically-interesting 

🇨🇺🇧🇸 monica from rhoslc kinda had a point
  • Thanks 2

TheSine
1 hour ago, soularpower said:

Exactly. I feel like it’s also just very easy to do? Like so many artists have done the “disco but today” vibe and it’s really quite boring. I really only enjoy original disco music from the era itself tbh, the new iterations just sound too manufactured. I’m also really not a fan of house music and find it generally pretty boring, so I hope she does something very unexpected and sonically-interesting 

I have to agree with this.

I do believe Lady Gaga can pull off a spectacular concept such as this. However, most of the songs that I hear that contain a disco beat seem to lack something. It sounds like...an artificial version of disco. The format sounds too perfect.

Disco has more layers than just "Let's just hit the hit the hi-hat in between counts! Oh, and add a slap bass to it! Don't forget the random violin too." And while some disco songs do have that, the major difference between them is the use of live instruments and something else I can't put into words.

Drums are THE MOST IMPORTANT instruments of any song. Why do you think live songs sounds so much better than the original. Live precussion adds that extra "oomf" an original song doesn't have. 

I'm not saying that everything must sound like the original genre. It's just a random thought I had as to why it sounds so manufactured.

(DEEP BREATH) Phew...

🖤TheSine🖤

Anderson123

That should've been LG5's concept and sound. Imagine Chromatica coming out in 2016 with the first half Disco, second half House. Alice, Rain On Me, 911, Sour Candy, Enigma, Replay and Babylon + Disco songs.

I don't think she'd do this right now, it seems like there was a lot of disco and then house in recent years. I don't think she'd want to follow trends.

tyler k

i think we need a documentary or some series that tackles this horrible event, yes

it's one of the most blatantly racist & homophobic atrocities in modern American history imo. 

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee
  • Thanks 1