Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
throwback

Why House of Gucci Flopped at the Oscars

Stephen

Featured Posts

Stephen

This is a GREAT video that covers why HoG had a lot of Oscar buzz but ultimately got snubbed. Makes me wonder how it's all going to play out when Joker releases and the chaos begins again. :stupidoreo:

Maxine Puth
17 minutes ago, MessyTop said:

The movie was so bad, it didn’t get snubbed. Lol

It definitely wasn’t a highlight movie from that year, it not getting many nominations made sense. :traumatica: The accents were honestly not a good call no matter how much Gaga tried to carry it, and the dialogue was eh too. Just glad it didn’t suck too bad, it’s only mediocre. 

Edited by Maxine Puth
  • Like 1

AnglerfishbraBENUS

i’ve been meaning to re-visit this as a potential camp classic ala Mommie Dearest.

i think i watched it expecting it to be the best movie ever, but Mommie Dearest was also somewhat of a failure, but ended up being so iconic because of how bad it was and how over the top Faye was in her role 

• Love 1

StrawberryBlond

I would say people laughing at Gaga's Italian accent played a big part in the movie losing a bit of credibility. I don't get it as not only do plenty of Italians sound like that (yes, I've heard Italians that have that Russian edge like what people claimed) but I looked at the clips of the real Patrizia and that's how she sounded, so Gaga had obviously studied these and copied them, yet people were saying she sounded like a cartoonish Russian villain. That was likely the biggest reason why she lost out on an Oscar nom. And Jared Leto's acting was a widely mocked although, again, I think he pulled off an eccentric character very well and he was meant to be acting weird and unsettling but it was misread as bad acting. I notice, incidentally, that most of the men didn't have Italian accents yet they never got criticised for it the way Gaga did. These 2 things combined made people view the movie as a bit meh and amateur in places. But it could've been worse. Could you imagine if Gaga won worst actress at the Razzies, for example? Now that could have spelt disaster for her acting career further down the line. And she was considered by many reviewers to be the best part of the movie. I like to think this steady rise and fall is all part of the process and it will ultimately result in the Oscar that she so badly wants, she just wasn't going to get it on her first or even second try. I think the academy just like to make singers work for it. 

• Like 2

It got snubbed at rhe Oscars because it wasn't much good. It wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't much good either. It made money though, which was the bottom line, and overall I think it was good for Gaga.  She won some awards and got nominated for some other awards and it was basically a positive addition to her cv.

• Like 1

nodandsmile

she carried it throughout awards season for as long as she could (showed up at plenty of critics groups awards despite them not liking the movie, even winning one of the big three in New York!) but at the end people in better movies managed to get more #1 placements on ballots... end of the story

now moving on... :lana: 

King of the Fall

Because it was directed by Ridley Scott and his films are usually trash these days, House of Gucci is no exception.

PS, don't go see that new Napoleon movie he directed, I walked out of the theatre is was so bad.

He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and shadow and he is a great favorite

androiduser

the movie just wasn't good enough, and with so many batter movies, it just didn't stand a chance. Gaga got quite a lot of nominations and wins for the role, so it was a success for her, but overall the movie wasn't award-winning material.

Gagaplayer315

Cause people bullied Gaga for her interviews, Adam Driver is so boring, Jared Leto was a mess in that weird costume they put him in and the pacing of the movie was horrible 

Tyler1992

Gaga was nominated in every precursor before the Oscars, and she was considered a shoo-in before nominations were announced. 

It was a genuine surprise that her name wasn’t called on nomination morning. Sometimes when an actor is all but guaranteed, voters will choose a dark horse to give them a bump, resulting in a snub. 

A snub isn’t a bad thing. It’s better for complaints about missing the nom, than complaints about being nominated. 

House of Gucci the film didn’t flop at the Oscars, it wasn’t really an Oscar film. Aside from Gagas snub, its makeup and hairstyling nom is sufficient.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

HelloHangoverz

Am I the only one who liked this movie? I didn't even realize it was widely disliked lool. I love the whole theme of power corrupting someone. The movie does feel a little unstructured though, it could be tightened up

If you suck d!ck like me you not buckin on me neither and that’s just that!
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Stephen

The way most of you commented without watching the vid :ladyhaha:  If you're at all interested in the topic, it's worth a watch - informative, objective and fascinating. 

Anyway I just found this other clip of Freddie reacting to his Oscar nomination for House of Gucci. I'd never seen this before and it's so sweet :bradley: I know Gaga must have been so proud and happy for him. Vid is timestamped.