politics

How 🇫🇮+🇸🇪 joining NATO would change the security landscape in Europe

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Lately the biggest geopolitical event that is often talked about is Finland's and Sweden's ascension to NATO. This video talks about the ways in which this would change Northern Europe's strategic architecture. If Sweden and Finland join the Atlantic alliance, the regional balance of power will be greatly altered in various ways - including:

1) Russia's border with NATO will more than double. Post-Ukraine war, Russia and NATO would get closer and buffer space between the West and Russia will be greatly reduced (this is also depending on the end status-quo in Ukraine). All Scandinavian countries (Iceland, Denmark, Norway + Sweden) will become integral parts of NATO.

Screenshot_612.png

2) The Baltic Sea will turn into a de facto NATO lake with Russian presence containted only to the area around Sankt Petersburg and Kaliningrad. Gotland (the single most important island in the Baltic Sea) would be in the hands of NATO and ''whoever controls Gotland, controls the entire Baltic Sea''. The video talks about the possibility of Sweden opening a NATO base on Gotland that would be a powerfull tool to project power in the region.

Screenshot_601.png

3) Russia's submarine fleet would be contained in the Baltic Sea. Once Sweden and Finland's territorial waters become NATO waters, the passage of navigation that Russia can use will become narrow and this will incapacitate Russia. Intelligence sharing between these countries would mean no submarine travelling through the Baltic would go undetected, so this also deafeats the purpose of Russia's submarine fleet.

Screenshot_607.png

4) Enhanced NATO presence in Northern in Europe (and especially NATO presence in Gotland) could further shield Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania and make them more secure and better integrated within NATO, countering the vulnerability that is the Suwalki gap.

Screenshot_603.png

5) Russia will very likely end Finland's lease on the Saimaa canal. The canal was useful to Finland as a commercial route to the European market, but it is de facto not in use already.

Screenshot_613.png

6) The western portion of Kola Peninsula - possibily the area most densely packed with nuclear weapons in the world - would be in close proximity with NATO. Murmansk in western Kola is linked with with the rest of Russia through a single rail & road corridor that runs parallel with the border. Finland joining NATO would tould turn this corridor into a strategic ''checkpoint'' as Russia's acces to a significant % of its nuclear capabilities would be in a vulnerable position - especially considering the Murmansk corridor runs through dense pine trees on a distance of 700kms.

Screenshot_590.pngScreenshot_591.png

• Like 1
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 5
FATCAT

Putin really ****ed up. Had he maintained norms and not invaded Ukraine, Russia would be so much better off. His agression has only strengthened NATO and made its preservation and expansion more important.

Sweden and Finland joining is crucial to keeping Russians in Russia.

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 2
Aussie

I hope this screws up with Turkey’s Erdogan too. So sick of this angry, miserable, greedy person. Takes no responsibility for any wrong doing from his end or his country’s past and keep creating issues and demanding the world to listen to his ramblings and obey his obsessions. My homeland has suffered enough from him and his kind. Get rid of him

• Like 6
FfFfFfFF
7 hours ago, FATCAT said:

Putin really ****ed up. Had he maintained norms and not invaded Ukraine, Russia would be so much better off. His agression has only strengthened NATO and made its preservation and expansion more important.

Sweden and Finland joining is crucial to keeping Russians in Russia.

The backfire is spectacular, he achieved nothing but the reserve of what he wanted. Putin realizing that not counting the possibility of Ukraine itself joining NATO, now Rusia will x2 the lenght of its border with NATO:

Second most catastrophical development would be Moldova joining the Euro-Atlantic security umbrella, which would mean tht entire Bessarabian gap is fully secured by NATO.

1200px-Bessarabia_in_Europe_map.svg.png

• Like 2
AnnaNicoleSmith

I think it only puts fuel in the fire, and as much as I would like them to join I think it could possibly be a mistake in the long run

• Like 2
  • LMAO 1
Bellatrix
31 minutes ago, AnnaNicoleSmith said:

I think it only puts fuel in the fire, and as much as I would like them to join I think it could possibly be a mistake in the long run

What would be a real mistake is doing what Putin wants.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
FATCAT
11 hours ago, FfFfFfFF said:

The backfire is spectacular, he achieved nothing but the reserve of what he wanted. Putin realizing that not counting the possibility of Ukraine itself joining NATO, now Rusia will x2 the lenght of its border with NATO:

And what's even crazier is that Ukraine was like, a decade away from ever being in NATO.

Purr more, hiss less.
  • Like 1