science

Ancient technology of wind catchers, possibly better than air conditioning

FfFfFfFF

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Is-ancient-technology-better-than-modern

Innovators are working hard to find ways to cope with the new normal — extreme heat and rising temperatures.

In the hot, arid Iranian Plateau, ancient structures, called “wind catchers,” are attracting academics, engineers, and architects who want to find creative new (and old) ways to cool off. 

The wind catchers, or bâdgir in Persian, are common structures that extend above the rooftops in rectangular towers, reports BBC. They made life livable. And, because they cool a building without using electricity or fuel, they are an attractive green solution. 

p06m4l3t.webp

Researchers at Weber State University in the United States told Sustainability Times that “these systems were eventually refined to the point that they could, at times, reach refrigeration temperatures.”

Parham Kheirkhah Sangdeh, a researcher at Ilam University in Iran, studies the scientific application and culture of wind catchers in contemporary architecture. 

“There needs to be some changes in cultural perspectives to use these technologies. People need to keep an eye on the past and understand why energy conservation is important,” Kheirkhah Sangdeh told BBC.

zion.jpeg

Source - https://bigthink.com/the-past/wind-catchers-ancient-technology-modern-air-conditioning/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Love 2
  • Shook 1
  • Thanks 1
Sherry

So the ancient people were smarter. I guess all you need is a brain and not advanced technology. 

I Can't Stop Me
  • Like 2
Economy
1 hour ago, Sherry said:

So the ancient people were smarter. I guess all you need is a brain and not advanced technology. 

I always say ppl in the past were not all as insanely dimuited as many ppl shrug them off to be.

Getting things done before u discover certain powers in nature with science required a lot of clever thinking and technical skills

Theres a lot of stuff they were ignorant about. But it doesnt mean they were brainless caveman either. For thousands of years most human civilizations have had a fair amount of complexity

• Like 4
Gagaloo911

Suddenly I'm sweating in my fully air conditioned home :giveup:

FfFfFfFF
13 hours ago, Economy said:

I always say ppl in the past were not all as insanely dimuited as many ppl shrug them off to be.

Getting things done before u discover certain powers in nature with science required a lot of clever thinking and technical skills

Theres a lot of stuff they were ignorant about. But it doesnt mean they were brainless caveman either. For thousands of years most human civilizations have had a fair amount of complexity

I agree. In many ways, the modern ways of life (like the idea of city/ dwelling, urban social life, community plantations, irrigations, roads) really started in the years Before Christ in the Middle East. Western world nowadays is just the natural extension of what was started there (civilization progressively moved westerwards - like, the lifestyle and social organization that appeared in Sumer, Babylon, Tyr etc moved to Athens, then to Rome, Paris/London and then to New York and Hollywood).

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
Fingerella

I literally was just reading about this a few hours. There are actually a few good takes on modernizing the design concept for these on current buildings

Edited by Fingerella
FfFfFfFF
On 10/8/2021 at 1:55 PM, FfFfFfFF said:

I agree. In many ways, the modern ways of life (like the idea of city/ dwelling, urban social life, community plantations, irrigations, roads) really started in the years Before Christ in the Middle East. Western world nowadays is just the natural extension of what was started there (civilization progressively moved westerwards - like, the lifestyle and social organization that appeared in Sumer, Babylon, Tyr etc moved to Athens, then to Rome, Paris/London and then to New York and Hollywood).

A picture that goes along was talking about (except post-2010) ->

fu2vga8bcbt71.jpg