science

Flood warning AGAIN in Germany for end of this week

Supersonic

Featured Posts

Supersonic

Last week, Germany has been hit with the worst & deadliest rainfall floodings since the start of weather recordings (170 dead in Germany, over 210 dead people across all of Europe, still almost 200 people missing). 

For the end of this week, meteorologists are warning over another flood because of upcoming torrential rainfall on the weekend, with over 50+ litres per square meter being possible again.

The rainfalls are VERY likely to hit the previous region of impact again, experts are warning about floods and massive mudslides, due to the ground there being extremely strained from the flood last week. 

https://www.fr.de/panorama/wetter-vorhersage-unwetter-gefahr-samstag-wochenende-tief-dirk-starkregen-hagel-sturm-90875323.html

https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/panorama/wetter-wochenende-dwd-100.html

Edited by Supersonic
  • Shook 3
  • Sad 8
MotherOfPuppies

Oh no :saladga: pls pray everyone… this is so scary and already horrible.

It’s only a few km from where I live

I have to laugh.
  • Love 3
TheSlash

Dear god :omg:.

I can't believe there are still people out there denying climate change. I also heard of far right people pretending to help the ones over there but are just preaching their ideology and deliver fake news about the pandemic, climate change and so on :saladga: .

I hope for everyone there to get to safety before another catastrophe hits the region :ohno: .

Join my megarate for "Happier Than Ever" by Billie Eilish, rating period ends August 29, 6pm CEST
  • Like 3
Chromatislaps

the world has to fully step into renewables now, if we don't want extreme weather to be a regular occurance.

• Like 2
Hades

I don't want to be that person but I'm gonna go ahead and say it. This planet is very damaged and extreme things will be occurring all the time from now on. 

Stay safe. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
The Fame Monster
2 hours ago, MotherOfPuppies said:

Oh no :saladga: pls pray everyone… this is so scary and already horrible.

It’s only a few km from where I live

For your own safety, could you consider going away from the area? Do you have any relatives living in safer areas? 

Not The Real Gaga
1 hour ago, TheSlash said:

Dear god :omg:.

I can't believe there are still people out there denying climate change. I also heard of far right people pretending to help the ones over there but are just preaching their ideology and deliver fake news about the pandemic, climate change and so on :saladga: .

I hope for everyone there to get to safety before another catastrophe hits the region :ohno: .

1 hour ago, Chromatislaps said:

the world has to fully step into renewables now, if we don't want extreme weather to be a regular occurance.

49 minutes ago, Hades said:

I don't want to be that person but I'm gonna go ahead and say it. This planet is very damaged and extreme things will be occurring all the time from now on. 

Stay safe. 

15 minutes ago, Debithius said:

This planet is no longer livable.

Climate change is real, but I am not sure these flooding events can directly be attributed to it? From what I have gathered, there seems no clear consensus among scientists yet whether there is a clear link between the two and whether such severe floods will happen more frequent as a result of climate change. It seems likely, given more extreme weather conditions are to be expected, but these disasters could also be a combination of bad luck. This is not the first time Europe has been confronted with floods.

Part of the problem is that some regions seem not be prepared enough to deal with these rainfall floods and should invest more in adaptation. So, these regions are livable if they adapt.

Edited by Not The Real Gaga
  • Like 1
Hades
4 minutes ago, Not The Real Gaga said:

Part of the problem is that some regions seem not be prepared enough to deal with these rainfall floods and should invest more in adaptation. So, these regions are livable if they adapt.

Well many of those areas used to be rivers etc. When you build a house near the sea or a river it's always gonna collapse if anything major happens. 

People have overestimated their power imo. 🤷

• Like 1
monster4life231
1 hour ago, Not The Real Gaga said:

Climate change is real, but I am not sure these flooding events can directly be attributed to it? From what I have gathered, there seems no clear consensus among scientists yet whether there is a clear link between the two and whether such severe floods will happen more frequent as a result of climate change. It seems likely, given more extreme weather conditions are to be expected, but these disasters could also be a combination of bad luck. This is not the first time Europe has been confronted with floods.

Is it not the consensus though that rising temperature = ice melting = heavy rainfall/higher water levels = increased chances of flooding and an increase in their severity? I'm not saying that flooding is an extraordinary thing, I think that climate change has accelerated the rate and severity of such extreme weather conditions, making them far more common and dangerous.

I'm relying on anecdotal evidence here, which I appreciate is not always accurate, but where I live in the UK, we have had places facing major floods which have either never flooded, or haven't flooded severely in generations. Everything seems to be getting much worse and I think it's accurate to say that climate change is leading to this.

spread peace - #MJInnocent
Barley

Considering NASA confirmed upcoming record-level floods for the 2030's, I just don't have that much hope for the upcoming years. Some people still deny it but we're decades late to make relevant changes to help climate anymore.

Nature can be very messy like this sometimes though, it's not necessarily because of climate change but it sure ain't making things easier.

Edited by Barley
taipo