4 hours ago, Frybean said:

Not before My Teenage Dream Ended.

7143838Girl Smile GIF

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agunimon
2 hours ago, enissa11 said:

because an EDM album may be as avant-garde and experimental as any genre, most ARTPOP doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream at the time.

Disclaimer: I do very much like and appreciate the points you made.

I think where people have a hard time relating to when it comes to this album is what others define as avant-garde and experimental. And that depends entirely on an individuals own music listening background. 

For me, when it comes to "doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream at the time", I feel like that's actually more Born This Way. Highway Unicorn, Bloody Mary, Scheiße, Bad Kids, Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel in particular. Judas is as well, but that's a re-hash in production to Bad Romance. And even though I absolutely adore Marry The Night and The Edge of Glory, I can't include those in that list. To me, those are the songs in her discography that stand out the most as "doesn't sound like anything else" or "only she could do" like others have said.

While I don't think there are songs in ARTPOP that necessarily completely match what other artists were doing, most of the songs resonate with a sound that I don't particularly view as avant-garde and are almost all songs that I would expect to be in some way on a radio station. 

That's where most of my stubbornness comes from from labeling it as experimental. Some of the songs might not necessarily perform well, but almost all of them I would still expect to hear on the radio; the only song I wouldn't is probably Mary Jane Holland, Aura, and ARTPOP itself.

I do think it's experimental album for her, since I can agree that ARTPOP certainly stands out in her discography. To me, it's a very straight forward pop album. So I have a hard time understanding what other people see in ARTPOP that makes it stand out as something that doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream.

HausOfAntonio

No question about it. It was extremely influential and a precursor to a lot of current music outside of the immediate pop sphere :firega:

thefamebitch

In my opinion no, which is rather sad. I do think more hyper pop elements would have really given ARTPOP more of an edge that it desperately needed. 

enissa11
19 minutes ago, Agunimon said:

I think where people have a hard time relating to when it comes to this album is what others define as avant-garde and experimental. And that depends entirely on an individuals own music listening background. 

For me, when it comes to "doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream at the time", I feel like that's actually more Born This Way. Highway Unicorn, Bloody Mary, Scheiße, Bad Kids, Heavy Metal Lover, Electric Chapel in particular. Judas is as well, but that's a re-hash in production to Bad Romance. And even though I absolutely adore Marry The Night and The Edge of Glory, I can't include those in that list. To me, those are the songs in her discography that stand out the most as "doesn't sound like anything else" or "only she could do" like others have said.

While I don't think there are songs in ARTPOP that necessarily completely match what other artists were doing, most of the songs resonate with a sound that I don't particularly view as avant-garde and are almost all songs that I would expect to be in some way on a radio station. 

That's where most of my stubbornness comes from from labeling it as experimental. Some of the songs might not necessarily perform well, but almost all of them I would still expect to hear on the radio; the only song I wouldn't is probably Mary Jane Holland and ARTPOP itself.

I do think it's experimental album for her, since I can agree that ARTPOP certainly stands out in her discography. To me, it's a very straight forward pop album. So I have a hard time understanding what other people see in ARTPOP that makes it stand out as something that doesn't sound like anything else on the mainstream.

of course it is still a pop album, but it's her pushing boundaries what i applaud, nearly the 50% of the songs are very far from digestable for the radio, and the ones that are not, still have a lot of elements that make them great, i don't see the radio playing willingly a song with the euphoric and long intro of Aura, or the depressing piano beginning of dope, even in live shows it's weird.
I think it's an experimental album for pop music, not just her, i have yet to hear the aggressiveness of some songs from ARTPOP in any other big contemporary pop artist, as you said MJH for example, it almost sound like a metal song without guitars lol. Can you name some???

Mad Architect of Light

Agunimon
51 minutes ago, enissa11 said:

Can you name some???

Admittedly, in those days I didn't listen to much pop outside of Gaga. I went through my library. These are some of the albums that I have from 2013. I underlined what I considered to be experimental. But I think this might help explain why I feel the way I do on the topic of avant-garde and 'experimental'.

Toro y Moi - Anything In Return
Joy Formidable - Wolf’s Law
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Son Lux - Lanterns
Daughter - If You Leave
Woodkid - The Golden Age
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Kid Cudi - Indicud
James Blake - Overgrown
Phoenix - Bankrupt!
STRFKR - Miracle Mile
Little Boots - Nocturnes
Baths - Obsidian
Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
iamamiwhoami - Bounty
Lorde - Pure Heroine
Rubblebucket - Save Charlie
Rhye - Woman
Rudimental - Home
Noah and the Whale - Heart of Nowhere
Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Los Campesinos! - No Blues

M.I.A. - Matangi

tyler k
1 hour ago, Agunimon said:

Admittedly, in those days I didn't listen to much pop outside of Gaga. I went through my library. These are some of the albums that I have from 2013. I underlined what I considered to be experimental. But I think this might help explain why I feel the way I do on the topic of avant-garde and 'experimental'.

Toro y Moi - Anything In Return
Joy Formidable - Wolf’s Law
Arctic Monkeys - AM
Son Lux - Lanterns
Daughter - If You Leave
Woodkid - The Golden Age
CHVRCHES - The Bones of What You Believe
Kid Cudi - Indicud
James Blake - Overgrown
Phoenix - Bankrupt!
STRFKR - Miracle Mile
Little Boots - Nocturnes
Baths - Obsidian
Childish Gambino - Because The Internet
iamamiwhoami - Bounty
Lorde - Pure Heroine
Rubblebucket - Save Charlie
Rhye - Woman
Rudimental - Home
Noah and the Whale - Heart of Nowhere
Sleigh Bells - Bitter Rivals
Arcade Fire - Reflektor
Los Campesinos! - No Blues

M.I.A. - Matangi

omg some of my favorite albums ever are listed here

I loveeee Reflektor, AM, Indicud, and Because the Internet!!!

on topic... I don't really hear much hyperpop in ARTPOP, mainly just from Swine, Aura, ManiCure, and that's it? 

mmmy name ~isn't~ aliceee

Crescent Bloom

The closest thing to Hyperpop on ARTPOP is Aura's instrumental, but even then ... that leans more towards EDM.

LandonM170

No, it is not hyperpop. I think it has some elements of hyperpop however it is not the full thing.

The album is very much EDM synth-pop style album with Gaga's magical touch.

Roseblud Kisses

Everyone is answering the wrong question. The question the OP asked was NOT "Is ARTPOP hyperpop", because the answer is clearly NO. Nor did the OP ask "Does ARTPOP sound like Sophie", in which case the answer would also be a resounding NO. The question that everyone is failing to actually address is if -and how so, and why - did ARTPOP and hyperpop (and even vaporwave) all emerge around the same time, 2012-2013. There was something in the air and it generated many different microgenres, at both the minimal (Lorde) and maximal (Charli XCX) end's of the scale.

I think ARTPOP, as an explosion of electronic elements to embody something of an anthology of rage, being likened to a Big Bang - but in reverse - to celebrate destruction, rather than creation, of the (pop)star. Gaga explored many electronic styles, not just "EDM" so y'all need to stop regurgitating that throwaway line. The album covers all electronic territory from trap (J'n'D), to techno (Venus), to tropical (listen to the pre-chorus and bridge on DWUW's instrumental), to disco (Fashion!), to the glitchy synthpop of Applause and the hypnotising psychedelic trance of the title track.

In a self-referential way, ARTPOP could be seen as a commentary on the birth of new genres (such as hyperpop) by criticality: old genres collapse into themselves, or by sonic fusion of disparate genres. Because, truthfully, hyperpop has nothing to say about itself. ARTPOP, however, does give me a methodology to ascertain a brand new genre such as hyperpop. Gaga said that "her" ARTPOP could mean "anything"? So then it could even be a vehicle in which we can discuss hyperpop and contextualize it. I don't believe that hyperpop was only "pots and pans noise" because ARTPOP guides me to look inside the outside, to put paintings on soup cans, to stop asking "right or wrong" questions but find never-ending conversations. ARTPOP is a quest to find deeper connections out of buried ones. There is something underneath hyperpop that connects that sound with the universe. The whole ARTPOP era and philosophy and aesthetic was meta. 

Skinni Pussi ConfirmedT

• 1 month later...
ELECTROHEART

No :triggered:

My beautiful favorite Gaga album is very offended by that question :sis:

ARTPOP not TRASHPOP

:vegas:

"Every night, a million hearts are breaking, but at least I know tonight I'm not the only one"

enissa11

i remember a interview when she described the album as "Superpop" maybe that is an early stage of "Hyperpop"? it seems like it is.

Mad Architect of Light

Archived