💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
interview

U-Go-Boy: An epic GGD Remixer revisits ARTPOP in new download & film!

ChicaSkas

Featured Posts

ChicaSkas

U GO BOY -- An Epic GGD Remixer Revisits ARTPOP

For at least the past 10 years, I've been such a big fan of @U-GO-BOY.  He's been remixing Gaga since Born This Way came out in 2011, and each time his work just seems to get better and better. I got a chance to sit down with him and chat about his latest epic project, "STUDIO ARTPOP". 

STUDIO ARTPOP is premiering on his website now, you can check it out HERE!

609d7be85ac56991fa3bf81b-studioartpopcov

This is a fresh take on ARTPOP since his original 2014 smash "ARTPOP X EDM" absolutely took over GGD. 
And, incidentally, If you haven't heard ARTPOP X EDM, you haven't lived.
Check it out here in it's gorgeous entirety:

This one really showcased U-Go-Boy's, aka Matty's, impressive talent as not only a remixer but a skilled mashup artist.
Now, 7 years later, and with even more experience under his belt, Matty has revisited ARTPOP just in time to revitalize the fans' appetite's for Gaga's most underacclaimed album. (I can totally see myself posting gurrilla street adverts for ARTPOP while blasting STUDIO ARTPOP on my headphones!)

Hi Matty! You look so adorable. I've been listening to these previews you sent over, I love Venus and ARTPOP the most. But I love all of them, they are like my children. 

I'm so thankful for this opportunity. It's kind of hard to advertise or promote my stuff to an audience, so I'm glad to do this with you.

And you're at home. Gagadaily is home!

Yes, absolutely, I've been on the site for so many years now. And even if I only reach 30 people today and they hear my music -- it's enough for me to know that people heard it and enjoyed it. 

Where did you first hear Lady Gaga?

When I first heard her, I was like 18, and I was on this forum like GagaDaily for another singer, a Japanese female pop artist. They made a post about a new singer called Lady Gaga. They showed us Just Dance, then and there. It was 2008. It was love at first sight, this huge sound. It was crazy to see someone do something like that. 

I remember when I heard it too, it was absolutely electric.

Yes, I had to find out more about her and check out more of The Fame, and I kind of tumbled  into remixing her stuff, a few years after. 

Have you ever seen her live?

Yes, I have, at the Born This Way Ball and at the ArtRave. Best concerts of my life.

You joined GagaDaily back in like 2010, right? I remember your username also because you never changed it!

In the last few years, I thought about changing my name. But people know me by this name now, so why should I change it? I built this reputation. But as I get older, the Boy side of the name gets wierd! I'm almost 31, so it's weird!

You have done so many remixes. And I know you had some trouble with lost drives in the past. But do you remember what your first mix of Gaga was?

Oh, wow, it was probably Alejandro or Telephone. I don't know what my first one was, it was really long ago! I'm sure I have them somewhere.

Recently, you asked me to find a really cool obscure one you once made, the Sting Live Gaga remix you did. And I finally found it in a 2015 harddrive.

I think I only put it on Soundcloud. And they like to delete things A LOT. And it was one of my remixes that I really liked, too. I liked that song even though I made it! Better than the real thing. Because it's like, I was being very creative in that moment when I made that song. You know, DJing is my main profession. And when I make remixes, I'm trying to make them as commercial as possible to make the people dance.

How did you turn it into your main profession?

I do music production as a hobby, but I am a DJ for real, it's my real profession. It sucks kind of now because of Covid, but I never thought of doing anything else as a profession.

It's such a hard industry to get into. To see you survive and thrive in it is really rewarding!

It's not something where you can make a lot of money. But I just do it because I love it so much, even if I barely live off of it, I can't imagine doing anything else. 

That's because you're doing what you love! You don't have to bind yourself to a job that you don't like, and only DJing in your free time. 

I saw my parents work so much, that they became destroyed, because they had so much to do. It's what I didn't want to do, be like them. I didn't want to just live for work. I do live for my work, but you know what I mean.
You're doing great!

So in the video for STUDIO ARTPOP, you went all out and hired drag queens, I see!

Yes, I contacted several drag queens from Germany, and they were so nice and delighted to be a part of it.

When you remixed this album, it wasn't for the first time. You've done versions of ARTPOP before.

I've done them twice before. I did the ARTPOP x EDM one, where I mashed up Gaga's vocals with different EDM tracks, and I think, before or after it, I did one other version. I released the whole album with my own sounds too.

RCjvAKl.png

I have to be honest with you --- In my opinion, ARTPOP x EDM is what an official ARTPOP remix album would be, if it had one. I hold it as real in my headcanon, it's THAT good. And if anyone out there hasn't heard it yet, I have to urge you to lose your mind inside it. It's like hearing a whole new ARTPOP.

Thank you! And on this one, the way I saw it was, if ARTPOP was to have a remix album, this would be was it was, in my view -- STUDIO ARTPOP. I'm glad the fans loved the first one so much. 

ARTPOP is already on our minds with all of the buzz in the news lately, so this remix album is perfect. This will help the fans keep their feet wet, with the atmostphere of ARTPOP already being in the world right now.

That's what I was thinking about after I released my Chromatica album remixes. I saw that ARTPOP ACT 2 was in the news a lot, so I wanted to keep the buzz going, to keep the momentum. Hopefully it will stir up more interest in ARTPOP, and her little sister. We've been so excited for so many years, and record labels just paid it dust.  I mean we got Brooklyn Nights, but it could have been an outtake from Act 1, and it was supposedly going to switch places with I think Mary Jane Holland or something. 
Remember when Gaga leaked Aura? It was magical to watch everyone realize it was actually her voice! Not a lot leaked from that era.

We have plenty of time now, to promote ARTPOP before it's 10 year anniversary in 2023. So hopefully if it's gonna happen, ACT 2 will happen then!

When you were remixing your tracks for this album, how did you get inspired?

For STUDIO ARTPOP, specifically, I was thinking, what would ARTPOP sound like if it was made with Chromatica in mind? When I read the interview [Gaga did for Chromatica] I knew they were inspired by 90's house music. So I got on the internet and Apple Music and started searching for 90s house music, and what would be the basis and inspirations for Chromatica --- to apply it to ARTPOP. I got so caught up with all the music! So I had to put it in this genre and bend this genre. Modern slap house and bass is mixed with Swine, hard hitting bass beats. You have 90's house with Aura, and ARTPOP as well. I wanted to explore what ARTPOP would sound like on Chromatica, if that makes sense! Chromatica was such an influence on the whole past year of music. I pulled from older stuff, but put some new sounds in it as well to make it modern. It was so inspiring.

When you hear it as the listener, you think, WOW. To hear how you did it is awesome. Thank you for your takes on it!

In the 90's, all the house music was inspired and taken from Disco back then. And it was sampled from disco. The newer house tracks online sample the 90's house tracks. It's an evolution. Everything samples itself. It's a never ending inspiration loop. And I like, that because you don't forget the old things. They are recycled, but they are honored in that way.

It's great to see that everything old can be new again, especially for younger fans.

It's a new soundscape. And one of the things I wanted to do with this album, is not just release the music, but provide a visual aesthetic as well. With my video, I want to give people a video experience. I think it will be interesting for people to see the man behind the magic. 

Thank you so much for your time and your creative works and for being a great member of GGD for all of these years. We love you and we cheer you on, Matty!

Everyone, you can check out the premiere of the STUDIO ARTPOP music video here and download the whole album at 11 am PST! 

studioARTPOP.com

-- ChicaSkas aka Katharine Styles-Burroughs for GagaDaily :nick:

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

I can't wait to listen to studio ARTPOP!!! :music:

I listen to the Chromatica Remixes at the gym all the time :sara:

You chew beef, I wear meat.

ChicaSkas
1 hour ago, Nano said:

I can't wait to listen to studio ARTPOP!!! :music:

I listen to the Chromatica Remixes at the gym all the time :sara:

Have you heard ARTPOP x edm?? 

Do YOU own the 4' by 6' Perfect Illusion promo Poster? Will pay you for it. Pic: http://i.imgur.com/UWuzumk

4 minutes ago, ChicaSkas said:

Have you heard ARTPOP x edm?? 

I just finished studio ARTPOP and loved it!!!

What is this ARTPOP x EDM you speak of? :nooo:

ChicaSkas
44 minutes ago, Nano said:

Oh my God. It’s so good I have to stop myself from changing my head canon and believing it is ARTPOP The Remix Official. Let me link you 

ChicaSkas
46 minutes ago, Nano said:

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B4muAnfR0K0haTFfOS1iLVhFdG8?resourcekey=0-a80ASqH_WcQZCi4jM713Tg

ChicaSkas
6 hours ago, Nano said:

omg :excited2::legend:

thank you

Lady Gaga Thank You GIF

So how WAS it???

10 hours ago, ChicaSkas said:

So how WAS it???

It was wicked enjoyable!!! :music: I'm downloading Swine, DWUW, and Donatella as we speak :legend:

Born This Way

It was so good! The production continuity, the drag performances, I Wanna Be With You :giveup: 

Reset my mind's IP, delete what I don't need

ChicaSkas
Just now, Born This Way said:

It was so good! The production continuity, the drag performances, I Wanna Be With You :giveup: 

@U-GO-BOY :legend:

U-GO-BOY

Thanks so much for all your comments! I'm so glad you liked it :kiss:

And a big thanks to @ChicaSkas for doing the interview and helping me promote it :giveup:

Archived