Jump to content

MARRY THE NIGHT ANNIVERSARY T-SHIRT

politics

Boris Johnson gifts Biden a photo of anti-slavery mural


bionic

Featured Posts

bionic

 

Boris Johnson gave Joe Biden a framed photograph of an Edinburgh mural depicting the anti-slavery campaigner Frederick Douglass to mark the president’s visit to Cornwall.

Government officials decided on the photo, taken by Melissa Highton, a dual UK-US national, after spotting it on Douglass’s Wikipedia page. Johnson handed the picture to Biden yesterday to mark their first meeting and Biden’s first foreign trip as president. The mural is painted on a wall at Lower Gilmore Place by the Scottish street artist Ross Blair, who goes by the name Trench-One. A Foreign Office official contacted Highton after seeing the picture.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/picture-of-edinburgh-anti-slavery-mural-given-to-president-biden-by-pm-n3l953nrn

buy bionic
  • LMAO 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
5 minutes ago, GucciGa said:

A 6k bike??? Huh? Who pays for that? Does Bojo look like he cycles much??? 

Before he was Prime Minister of UK the only thing I knew about Boris was that he liked bikes. This is paid for by the White House (i.e. the US taxpayers)

buy bionic
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
LilyLark
16 minutes ago, bionic said:

Before he was Prime Minister of UK the only thing I knew about Boris was that he liked bikes. This is paid for by the White House (i.e. the US taxpayers)

The gifts are paid for by the presidents themselves and not the taxpayers. President Carter talked about it before and how it left a severe financial impact on him and his wife...LBJ (I think it was LBJ) apparently also said all the money he had to spend as president basically wiped out the salary he was paid (they get paid like 250k a year I think and he basically spent it all on expenses).

There's some controversy over just how much the president has to personally finance....

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
8 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

The gifts are paid for by the presidents themselves and not the taxpayers. President Carter talked about it before and how it left a severe financial impact on him and his wife...LBJ (I think it was LBJ) apparently also said all the money he had to spend as president basically wiped out the salary he was paid (they get paid like 250k a year I think and he basically spent it all on expenses).

There's some controversy over just how much the president has to personally finance....

Surprised to hear that because there is an office in the WH dedicated to etiquette/protocol around giving and receiving gifts. This is what I get for assuming :gum: 

If I were President I’d be giving out copies of Bionic CDs and saving a fortune. $6000 bikes? No ma’am 

buy bionic
  • LMAO 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Biden and Boris becoming unlikely pals, I ship it :laughga:

I know both the UK and US is looking to make tourism and working in each others countries better, along with Canada, Australia and New Zealand.  I can’t wait to meet our friends from across the pond (they will let me into the country, poor thing :vegas:)

Edited by Benji
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

The gifts are paid for by the presidents themselves and not the taxpayers. President Carter talked about it before and how it left a severe financial impact on him and his wife...LBJ (I think it was LBJ) apparently also said all the money he had to spend as president basically wiped out the salary he was paid (they get paid like 250k a year I think and he basically spent it all on expenses).

There's some controversy over just how much the president has to personally finance....

OK well that's just stupid of Biden then. Why spent 6k on a gift when he literally could have signed a framed photo of him in the oval office as a gesture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
bionic
13 minutes ago, GucciGa said:

OK well that's just stupid of Biden then. Why spent 6k on a gift when he literally could have signed a framed photo of him in the oval office as a gesture. 

 

18 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Free to use picture??? Really??

 

UK, your PM is cheap AF :smh:

Back in 2009 the UK Prime Minister gave Obama a hand-carved pen holder using wood from the sister ship as the wood used for the Oval Office desk. Obama gave the UK PM a set of 25 DVDs

buy bionic
  • LMAO 4
  • Shook 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Suspiria
50 minutes ago, RAMROD said:

Free to use picture??? Really??

 

UK, your PM is cheap AF :smh:

Tbh I'd rather that than have him spend thousands on an opulent gift for the president.

Even if it's not taxpayer funded, super wealthy politicians trying to woo eachother with expensive gifts is just a bit icky to me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, bionic said:

 

Back in 2009 the UK Prime Minister gave Obama a hand-carved pen holder using wood from the sister ship as the wood used for the Oval Office desk. Obama gave the UK PM a set of 25 DVDs

Obama still pay money to that. Not a free licensed picture. So, current UK PM still cheap :flower:

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ やれやれだわ (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...