celeb

SZA requested a black photographer for a magazine cover, got denied

COOOK

Featured Posts

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AndiGaga

I dont get it. She wanted a black photographer just so his skin colour is black?

weed
Just now, AndiGaga said:

I dont get it. She wanted a black photographer just so his skin colour is black?

yes :party:

Ororo Munroe
1 minute ago, AndiGaga said:

I think she (as black female singer) wants to give an opportunity to black creators to work with her on these projects 

I was thinkin' 'bout making a comeback, back to me

Noah
2 minutes ago, AndiGaga said:

well shes trying to create diversity in such jobs too. 

⟡ ⋆ ˚。⋆🦢⋆ ˚。⋆⟡

weed

that's weird they said no... they could've literally picked the photographer, gave parameters, etc. good she's speaking out

littlepotter

Do they not realize this could potentially get them out of business :smh:

chaeri pls

Fresco

Would this not be racist to literally have power to hire someone and then say it has to be a black skinned person to do a job where skin color is irrelevant?

This sounds like illegal discrimination based on race.

JustJames

I assume she refused to be paid by said magazine at the end, right? To stand up for such an injustice? 

This was a JOB she was HIRED for by an EMPLOYER; do you know many Americans / people would love to simply be able to have the opportunity to earn money? To walk in to a business and make demands way beyond the scope of ensuring a safe/healthy working environment is simply privilege showing its ugly head in a way people are too uncomfortable with confronting for some reason.

If SZA was concerned about the diversity of the team she'd be working with on this job, she could've vetted (or used her access to resources afford only to celebrities and elites) the employer, its record on such issues, and/or even made such requests prior to signing. Heck, she could've (should've) even offered to hire and provide staff that met her personal qualifications if it were a deal-breaker instead of 1) accepting a job offer, 2) insulting / disrespecting an employer on the job by telling them their staff was insufficient, 3) performing the work and accepting payment regardless, and 4) further disrespecting and smearing said employer afterwards.

WTF is wrong with people?

COOOK
3 minutes ago, Fresco said:

Would this not be racist to literally have power to hire someone and then say it has to be a black skinned person to do a job where skin color is irrelevant?

It's about requesting opportunities for black people, opportunities which are often taken away from them just for being black

monstrosity

Plot twist: the non-Black photograph is still a POC :ladyhaha:

OP: she should name the magazine, she’s right to stand up, POC still struggle immensely to find work in this field

FentyGa
3 minutes ago, Fresco said:

black people (and people of colour in general) are not given the same opportunities as white people in many industries, including the creative industry.

sza simply wanted to diversify the people in the media, and give opportunities to those who aren’t always given them.

furthermore, as a creative, your life experiences really do impact your art. therefore, a lot of black artists and other artists of colour feature their experiences and their cultures in their work.

monstrosity
2 minutes ago, JustJames said:

I assume she refused to be paid by said magazine at the end, right? To stand up for such an injustice? 

This was a JOB she was HIRED for by an EMPLOYER; do you know many Americans / people would love to simply be able to have the opportunity to earn money? To walk in to a business and make demands way beyond the scope of ensuring a safe/healthy working environment is simply privilege showing its ugly head in a way people are too uncomfortable with confronting for some reason.

If SZA was concerned about the diversity of the team she'd be working with on this job, she could've vetted (or used her access to resources afford only to celebrities and elites) the employer, its record on such issues, and/or even made such requests prior to signing. Heck, she could've (should've) even offered to hire and provide staff that met her personal qualifications if it were a deal-breaker instead of 1) accepting a job offer, 2) insulting / disrespecting an employer on the job by telling them their staff was insufficient, 3) performing the work and accepting payment regardless, and 4) further disrespecting and smearing said employer afterwards.

WTF is wrong with people?

I’m really not sure celebs are paid to be in magazines, maybe I’m wrong but I think they’re not

HEARTSTOP
Just now, FentyGa said:

black people (and people of colour in general) are not given the same opportunities as white people in many industries, including the creative industry.

sza simply wanted to diversify the people in the media, and give opportunities to those who aren’t always given them.

furthermore, as a creative, your life experiences really do impact your art. therefore, a lot of black artists and other artists of colour feature their experiences and their cultures in their work.

Except if they said yes, they would probably give the job to a POC that already has plenty of opportunities because of their skills, all simply because they were black. I'm not sure where the creation of opportunity would come in this context...

IDGAF

• PartySick locked this topic

Archived