19 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Yeah answer :triggered:

Sorry for letting you down- Qween! 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stafani Versace

I've only played the song 37 times since it was released (vs over 1,000 ROM plays).

It just doesn't do anything for ME, right from the opening line. I hear "Open mind..." and then skip :ohwell:
It's not a bad song, just not my fav.

Healed My Heart

I'm working on my megarate and Enigma is dead last for me :fatcat:

Musically, I don't love the vocal tone or vocal effects on the chorus. I think the combination with the heavy piano makes it all too forceful, it's like it needs balance.

Lyrically, she loses me here with the GOT-style lyrics which my brain can't marry with the world building of Chromatica. There are some lyrics I absolutely love (violet light smears the atmosphere, I'm so scared but I'm standing here) but I can't get past the ones that pull me out of the song.

Edit: Please note I'm not one to complain about songs or criticize usually, but you seemed genuinely interested so I shared!

She/her 💗💜💙

cuntess elizabeth

for me it's the way she sings so oddly esp during the chorus that some dub as her "pecan pie" (a la holly jervis)/dope vocals or etc. it's almost superficial, in a way, to her natural tone + the lyrics are such an enigma

Spoiler

:enigma:

that i can't make sense of it and thus can't get a feel for nor vibe with it :shrug:

xdxd, Joanne

The Z
23 hours ago, Glamourpuss said:

It's something like a 7 out of 10 for me. It's a great song but there's something stopping me from loving it. Sometimes I think it's grown on me and it will be a 10/10 but then on the next listen I'm not too sure how I feel about it. 

For me, I think it has something to do with the production on the vocals, I feel that it's too loud and there's way too much reverb

That said, it's always been one of my favorites from the album (not that it takes much, but still) 

Glamourpuss
28 minutes ago, cuntess elizabeth said:

for me it's the way she sings so oddly esp during the chorus that some dub as her "pecan pie" (a la holly jervis)/dope vocals or etc. it's almost superficial, in a way, to her natural tone + the lyrics are such an enigma

Hide contents

:enigma:

that i can't make sense of it and thus can't get a feel for nor vibe with it :shrug:

I just googled who you were talking about and I can see what you mean. :smh:

CHIPCHROME

THIS should've been the title track and the whole concept of chromatica should never have existed. N E WAYS!

Cookie Tookie

The residency is a mess. But the song is godly, it’s probably the most Gaga song on Chromatica, yet people seem to hate it and are praising some of Gaga’s most basic work on that album. 

Glamourpuss

When I listen to the song I can imagine it as the opener for the Enigma show in Vegas and I think it would be perfect for that. 

Ladle Ghoulash
On 5/4/2021 at 12:05 PM, Ultimecia said:

Also the lyrics are pretty generic in my opinion, what is this song even about?
Enigma is an outlier in an album with overall phenomenal lyrical content.

ps : I don't hate the song btw, I enjoy it a lot but it's just not my favorite on the album.

"Dragon's eyes watch, goddess breathing, give me something to believe in" is generic?

Imo Enigma is about Gaga's insecurities offstage juxtaposed with her onstage bravado. I imagine the verses are her, in her own head, standing in the wings getting ready to go onstage, then the chorus is her stepping into the spotlight.

Ultimecia
1 hour ago, deactivated001 said:

"Dragon's eyes watch, goddess breathing, give me something to believe in" is generic?

The verses are fine, but the pre-chorus, chorus and bridge are so bland!

Time. It will not wait, no matter how hard you hold on...

AshIey

It’s one of my favorites and a go-to on the album if I don’t have time to listen to the whole thing. I absolutely love her vocals on it.

Agunimon

People are complaining that she repeats I'll be your Enigma? Have they not listened to her other songs? She repeats the same lines on so many songs. She makes pop music. That's typical in pop music to make it more catchy.

LandonM170

Love the song! It is one of the best pop songs in a while because of how simple it is. I love over the top (I mean I am an ARTPOP stan) however a simple pop song is very refreshing every few years!

Archived