🌎 𝔤𝔞𝔤𝔞 𝔡𝔞𝔦𝔩𝔶 𝔰𝔥𝔬𝔭 - 𝔫𝔬𝔴 𝔰𝔥𝔦𝔭𝔭𝔦𝔫𝔤 𝔴𝔬𝔯𝔩𝔡𝔴𝔦𝔡𝔢 🌏

Sign in to follow this  
science

Cuttlefish have self-control, study finds

FfFfFfFF
Posted (edited)

Humans, chimps, parrots and crows have evolved to exert self-control, a trait linked to higher intelligence. Now, researchers say cuttlefish – chunky squid-like creatures with eight arms – also have the ability to delay gratification for a better reward.

Researchers used an adapted version of the Stanford marshmallow test, in which children were given the choice of scoffing an immediate reward (one marshmallow) or waiting to earn a delayed, but better, reward (two marshmallows), on six cuttlefish in an aquarium environment.6cuttlefishintankcreditalexschnell.jpg

Overall, the cuttlefish delayed gratification when it led to a prey item of higher quality and were able to maintain delays for periods of up to 50 seconds to 130 seconds, the authors wrote in the journal Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

Previous research had suggested that some primates and birds exhibited this advanced level of self-control because they were social species that maintained multiple relationships and used tools, said Schnell.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/03/cuttlefish-have-ability-to-exert-self-control-study-finds

Edited by FfFfFfFF
►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 3

bionic

I’m glad my birds eat these things. We don’t need more sentient species, thanks God :vegas:

buy bionic
  • LMAO 1

VenusUrania

Even cuttlefish have more self control than I do

Cant Believe It Series 2 GIF by BBC Three

• LMAO 1

ThePopDevil
23 minutes ago, bionic said:

I’m glad my birds eat these things. We don’t need more sentient species, thanks God :vegas:

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

• LMAO 1