Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

The Weeknd: "I have three Grammys, which mean nothing to me now"

COOOK

Featured Posts

spector
4 hours ago, COOOK said:

I’m not a cocky person. I’m not arrogant. People told me I was going to get nominated. The world told me.

:sure:

stella + elliot = stelliot

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Midnight Summer

He's not wrong. The Grammys are a joke. They nominated Yummy (easily the most panned pop song of 2020) but couldn't throw a nomination at Blinding Lights? :saladga:

F*ck outta here.

LaLuna

Oh, so now he's not allowed to be salty about it? He's not allowed to call out the Grammys for snubbing him? He's not allowed to be disappointed? Y'all were defending him when the noms were announced and now that he's being vocal about it, he's salty and arrogant?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

MonsterofFame

Normally what he said would sound very arrogant and salty, but the success of Blinding Lights and After Hours was so in your face that not even getting a nom is just downright embarrassing. It's like being publicly bullied in front of everyone. It was an insult and slap in the face that he didn't get a single nomination.

Also he previously said that the Grammys were working with him to perform there before the nominations, and implied that there were problems and then soon after nominations were announced with his notably missing. This sounds very familiar with what happened with Ariana a few years ago when she called them out on shady behavior.

littlepotter

This is just giving me Taylor swift's The Man video meltdown at the end. Can you imagine if a woman artist DARED to say these things? But he's being applauded of course. SO many, much better female songs and albums have been snubbed but you don't see them keep talking about it for months, because at the end of the day it's a piece of metal that just means you did a good job, but it doesn't mean those who didn't get it didn't do a good job. 

I wish they actually asked him the real question to see how cocky he'll be then, "which one of the nominated songs do you think you deserved to nominated over?" There are many, to be clear, he did deserve to be at least above Justin, but I'd like to hear him say it. 

chaeri pls

I don't think his situation is comparable to anyone else's bc he received ZERO nominations for the biggest song and album in the world... that broke all the records... I think he should be salty (and then let it go, obv move on eventually), and I think the Grammys are embarrassing themselves.

Wet Fire

No matter how much we individually diss the Grammys, they represent an institution with a strong commercial and cultural control. Even if Yummy is nominated (and this basically means Grammy judges are chimpanzees), the Grammys will still determine the career of many artists. Because, when you win a Grammy, you're written down in history in a way, and the importance of it is not going down soon.

I stopped caring about grammies some years ago, at this point the best award is the fact that his song is still charting and his fans are still there ;)

rasclautmangos

Most entertainers never say this kind of thing about awards until they are the ones who feel slighted. It's all good before then when other's were the one's getting snubbed. 

rasclautmangos
3 hours ago, Cookies said:

Gaga better not attend

I don't think Gaga needs much encouragement not to attend lol. She didn't last year, and further paid them dust when she won. 

NewYorkGirl

I’m not even a fan of The Weeknd, but he’s right. Blinding Lights was undeniably one of the best and most memorable projects to come out during 2020. It should’ve been nominated, but instead we got the likes of songs like Yummy, which is literally trash. The Grammys are rigged and he has every right to feel “salty” about being snubbed by those losers. I get what he means about previous awards meaning nothing to him. 

My. Lawyer. Liked. That.

PropaGaga
2 hours ago, djBuffoon said:

I keep forgetting how young he still is. I'm a big fan of his and he was certainly robbed, but as we've heard many, many legends and seasoned professionals say, if you work on your craft in anticipation of awards, you'll probably end up disappointed. No one is entitled to accolades, it's completely out of your hands.

If I were his manager, I'd advise him to keep the bitter language out and focus on what's actually important: the album is a success that most young and/or struggling musicians would dream of having.

Except he was told by academy members that he was going to be nominated, hence the confusion. It's not like he set out to make an album with the intent of scoring awards. He has long been a favorite of the Grammys to begin with until he decided to play the Super Bowl which they felt no longer gave them exclusivity over what would have been a highly viewed performance that gave them ratings after the year he's had. There's no bitterness, just a desire for more transparency. He calls out a secret committee that basically votes on the votes. It's an unnecessary and archaic practice. The Grammys have barely just come out of a scandal where their own former president called them out for unfair practices including racial bias and misogyny, to which they responded by firing her. It's rotten, and everyone should be on The Weeknd's side because it'll benefit everyone in the end.

djBuffoon
1 minute ago, PropaGaga said:

Except he was told by academy members that he was going to be nominated, hence the confusion. 

Interesting. I wonder who told him that, and why they believed their support would result in a nomination.

PropaGaga
12 minutes ago, djBuffoon said:

Interesting. I wonder who told him that, and why they believed their support would result in a nomination.

Because that's how the Grammys and the music industry works. They say it in the article, it's all a game, and a game The Weeknd played very well until the Recording Academy decided they didn't like something he was doing. They think they own these artists, it's why Nicki Minaj and Kanye West have had a problem with them for years. Mariah Carey has also come out against them in the past. You'd be surprised at the amount of artists who have over the years. And as I said, their own (former) president came out last year and called them out for really disturbing behavior and was supported by many artists. This is the same academy that banned Janet Jackson from attending a ceremony days after her breast was exposed by Justin Timberlake at the Super Bowl. She refused to apologize while Justin buckled and was able to attend and make jokes about the situation. It's corrupt.

Archived