💓 ONE YEAR OF STUPID LOVE 💓

Use code STUPIDLOVE for 20% off everything

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Lord Sumption tells stage 4 cancer sufferer her life is ‘less valuable’

BUtterfield 8

Prominent anti-lockdown sceptic and former supreme court justice Jonathan Sumption has been criticised after he told a stage 4 cancer sufferer that her life was “less valuable” during a televised discussion of the costs of coronavirus lockdowns.

Appearing on the BBC One show The Big Questions on Sunday to discuss the question of whether lockdown was “punishing too many for the greater good”, Lord Sumption, said he did not accept that “all lives are of equal value”.

He said he believed his children’s and grandchildren’s lives were “worth more because they’ve got a lot more of it ahead”.

Responding to Sumption’s remarks, Deborah James, who has stage 4 metastatic bowel cancer and hosts the BBC’s You, Me and the Big C podcast, said: “With all due respect, I am the person who you say their life is not valuable.”

The peer then interrupted James, saying: “I didn’t say your life was not valuable, I said it was less valuable.”

Source

• Sad 9

Art Police

Unbelievable. The ignorance and lack of compassion is disgusting.

Edited by Art Police
  • Like 1

PunkTheFunk

Deborah was being too nice, I would have cursed his a$$ out on national TV

• Like 2

The Fame

Ew, what a disgusting piece of trash?? wtf??

Franch Toast

What a freaking asshole. I have a relative dying of stage 4 cancer, and his life isn't less valuable than mine or anyone's. I don't know who Lord Sumption is and don't care to know anything about him because he's clearly trash. 

She/Her/Hers
  • Love 1

xoxo Craig

Disgusting piece of Tory shite. 

End Racism Now

freebit

WTF. It's the other way around - he's worthless scum and actively making life worse for those around him. I wish we could just launch these people into the sun. People like him are really asking for a guillotine situation with these disgusting statements. 

Luke78619

I genuinely hate the human race, how can people be so blatantly disgusting and act proudly about it, on national television as well :triggered: what a god awful comment 

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote
  • Thanks 1

Noir

She handled herself with such grace, clarity and dignity after such appalling remarks from this vile tory scum. Good for her. 

Serial Chiller

You just KNOW that the assholes that claim children’s lives are more valuable so elderly and sick people should sacrifice themselves ARE those that would shove a child out to get themselves a seat on the lifeboat. 

• Like 1

Art Police

It's a cold and calculated perspective. The value of younger people because they need workers to keep the economy going and soldiers to protect it. They have no use for the elderly and the sick. It's just wrong.