🔴 Limited-edition Red Vinyl 🔴

Sign in to follow this  
politics

Apple lobbies to allow forced labor

FATCAT

Apple is lobbying against a bill aimed at stopping forced labor in China

Apple lobbyists are trying to weaken a bill aimed at preventing forced labor in China, according to two congressional staffers familiar with the matter, highlighting the clash between its business imperatives and its official stance on human rights.

The Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act would require U.S. companies to guarantee they do not use imprisoned or coerced workers from the predominantly Muslim region of Xinjiang, where academic researchers estimate the Chinese government has placed more than 1 million people into internment camps. Apple is heavily dependent on Chinese manufacturing, and human rights reports have identified instances in which alleged forced Uighur labor has been used in Apple’s supply chain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2020/11/20/apple-uighur/

chilly waffle
  • Like 1
  • Shook 5
  • Sad 18

Franch Toast

Disgusting.

She/Her/Hers
  • Like 9

Awakened M

Waiting for a Louis Rossman video to cover this.

I'm not getting any sleep tonight because I woke up to a beautiful life. I'm awake.

dit

this is so heartbreaking...literally no one can save the Uyghurs...China is just too powerful and has companies and politicians bend to their will. We will literally witness the extinction of another minority ethnic group within our lifetimes. This is a modern day GENOCIDE yall and we all promised that this would NEVER happen again yet in 2020 we are witnessing a blatant genocide in front of our own eyes and can't do anything about it....

forced labor, systemic and forced marriages of Uighur women to Han Chinese men (the dominant ethnic group of China), alleged organ harvesting, forced sterilization and mass internment camps where sexual violence and communist indoctrination is rampant... I'll keep praying for the Uyghur people. Only a miracle can save them :( 

Edited by dit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

mr.peter

Well that’s not cool. How could they justify this ? 

dit
2 minutes ago, mr.peter said:

Money. Apple is very dependent on China and so Apple is lobying on behalf of China so that China can continue the genocide of Uyghurs. It's all a trail that leads to money

• Like 4

lestyoufall
13 minutes ago, Awakened M said:

Waiting for a Louis Rossman video to cover this.

SAME :firega: but seriously I’m really getting disgusted by Apple’s behavior. First they create a monopoly on repairs charging thousands to fix something that only costs $20 to replace because they don’t do board repairs but replace the entire things. Then they leave a known faulty piece in their MacBooks that causes them to randomly die for the past 4 years. THEN they lobby against right to repair saying that we aren’t allowed to fix the iPhones or electronics we bought & own & if you do decide to replace the battery or camera or any part yourself they end up bricking your iPhone because each piece is programmed to the phone. And now this. It’s just endless but sadly people just don’t care & will keep buying Apple no matter how many times they f*ck people over.

• Thanks 1

Eighteen
24 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Disgusting.

lestyoufall
7 minutes ago, mr.peter said:

They’ve justified it dozens of times with this exact excuse: “if we don’t outsource the labor then the cost of an iPhone would double or triple” meaning slave labor & underpaying workers to build a phone whose parts only cost $450 just so they can charge us thousands for it & then charge us hundreds to fix because if we go to a repair shop that isn’t theirs then they’ll brick our phones cause the part being replaced isn’t programmed to the rest of the phone which only they can do for this exact reason; to create a monopoly on the repair business.

FATCAT
6 minutes ago, dit said:

Money. Apple is very dependent on China and so Apple is lobying on behalf of China so that China can continue the genocide of Uyghurs. It's all a trail that leads to money

This. The reason that they don't want this bill to go through is because they don't want their profit margins to dip. 

chilly waffle
  • Like 1

FATCAT
1 minute ago, lestyoufall said:

They’ve justified it dozens of times with this exact excuse: “if we don’t outsource the labor then the cost of an iPhone would double or triple” meaning slave labor & underpaying workers to build a phone whose parts only cost $450 just so they can charge us thousands for it & then charge us hundreds to fix because if we go to a repair shop that isn’t theirs then they’ll brick our phones cause the part being replaced isn’t programmed to the rest of the phone which only they can do for this exact reason; to create a monopoly on the repair business.

This is why it's imperative that people look beyond the label and start to create more competition in the phone market. Android is just as capable, if not more capable than Apple devices.

chilly waffle
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

lestyoufall
5 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

This is why it's imperative that people look beyond the label and start to create more competition in the phone market. Android is just as capable, if not more capable than Apple devices.

I completely agree. In fact, androids are capable of so much more than iPhones. The issue lies in brand loyalty. Apple was able to build a brand of being DiFfErEnT & pUsHiNg ThE eNvElOpE. They also use addiction tactics to suck people into their ecosystem to the point that you can’t get out without it seriously affecting your day to day life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PartySick
35 minutes ago, FATCAT said:

My knock off Galaxy says hi :gayhat:

I'm proud to say I've never bought an Apple product. It's the same stuff as every other gadget out there but stupidly overpriced and from an evil source.

I'm dreaming of going somewhere else. Being human.
  • Like 6

gag

Apple is awful when it comes to human rights and I'd die before I'd defend their ethics buuuut this is a really misleading thread. The original story from WaPo is extremely unsourced (two anonymous congressional staffers) and the details are really vague. The only known thing is that Apple wants to change the wording for this law but it is unknown what provisions they are trying to change and to what extent.

Still completely possible that they are fully lobbying to allow slave labour (and IMO, likely), but at this point when so little is known about this case, 'Apple lobbies to allow forced labour' is complete disinformation.

headspin, happiness, DE̤̣A̢̯͔̘T͏͙̗̟̫H̗̙͡ͅ
  • Like 3

TimisaMonster

Another reason for me to hate Apple and their products...:fthis:

Stream my new single 🔥"Dance in the Flames"🔥 on Spotify!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1