🎃 Spotify Playlist 🎃

Sign in to follow this  
lgbt

Amy Coney Barrett Receives Backlash For Saying "Sexual Preferences"

VenusHooker
19 minutes ago, thierryrreiht said:

It’s ok to educate your fish-out-of-the-water aunt at a Thanksgiving dinner. But a Supreme Court Justice (for life) that has to interpret the law and accord or revoke rights to this very community? Come on. 

I was not referring to her, but to ordinary people, that is why I said that it is very common and "But many do it without bad intention". 

Edited by VenusHooker
last.fm/user/Garzilazo

Enigma

She could receive backlash for breathing for all I care :billie:

holy scheisse
9 minutes ago, Chromatography said:

i thought preference was just a greater liking for one thing over another. that’s not predicated on it being a choice. 

That's one interpretation of the word preference, but I'm merely explaining why people take issue with the phraseology sexual preference. And like it or not, it's widely recognized as an outdated term. Using language that implies choice is harmful tbh, whether intentional or microaggressive. 

• Like 1

KanyeWest
5 hours ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

well you’re choosing to date/have sexual relations with a person, am i correct? feelings however aren’t a preference, i agree. these are two completely different things. 

despite this, it’s very clear she made a hiccup and everyone is acting as if she committed murder, nobody will understand us if we keep on showing people we are the enemy.

You're choosing to date have sexual relations with a person of the gender you are attracted to. You can't help who you're attracted to. For some people they can only be attracted romantically or sexually or one of these two things to woman, others to men, some to both, some to any gender. It's not a preference, it's not a choice, it's who you are as a person it's how you were born, how your brain is wired. You can't make a straight person suddenly only love their same-sex, just like you can't transform a gay person into a straight person, it's very simple and I'm surprised you think that it's a preference. Im not part of LGBT community but it's 2020, everyone should know this simple thing, it's not groundbreaking, it's not complicated to understand and register in the brain. Being straight is not the "normal" sexuality, all sexualities are normal and natural and definitely not preferences. By the way sexuality is very complex, and some can be attracted romantically to certain types, others sexually but not romantically, I mean do I have to explain, everyone knows that....or I hope they do :ladyhaha:

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

ItWasntLaauv

She’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing, she’s absolutely terrible and stands for everything I hate. It’s a shame she’s so well spoken and charismatic.

• Like 1

Xoxo Adriana
26 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

You're choosing to date have sexual relations with a person of the gender you are attracted to. You can't help who you're attracted to. For some people they can only be attracted romantically or sexually or one of these two things to woman, others to men, some to both, some to any gender. It's not a preference, it's not a choice, it's who you are as a person it's how you were born, how your brain is wired. You can't make a straight person suddenly only love their same-sex, just like you can't transform a gay person into a straight person, it's very simple and I'm surprised you think that it's a preference. Im not part of LGBT community but it's 2020, everyone should know this simple thing, it's not groundbreaking, it's not complicated to understand and register in the brain. Being straight is not the "normal" sexuality, all sexualities are normal and natural and definitely not preferences. By the way sexuality is very complex, and some can be attracted romantically to certain types, others sexually but not romantically, I mean do I have to explain, everyone knows that....or I hope they do :ladyhaha:

i’m not saying that sexual/romantic attraction is a choice. a “preference” and a “choice” are two different words. it’s like me saying i prefer strawberries over apples. that doesn’t necessarily mark it as a choice, i choose to eat strawberries but liking them isn’t my choice. as terrible as an example that is, i hope it somewhat conveys what i am trying to say:billie:

my point overall was to say that no matter what orientation, straight or lgbtq, a “sexual preference” isn’t exclusively marked towards LGBT people. a guy could be attracted to women but “prefer” to date a man. heterosexual and homosexual dating in the end of the day all comes down to this.

another example to make it make more sense, me being transgender, me having gender dysphoria at a very young age wasnt my choice, however transitioning into a woman was my “preference”. not a choice.

so not sure why everyone is creating this narrative that what this woman said was to intentionally harm to gay community when she literally publically apologised/corrected herself, which the OP didn’t post so i did instead. if she didn’t apologise for it or if the situation was far worse, a legitimate attack, i would 100% be joining y’all on this but i feel this whole thread comes down to a validation reach. 

preference /= a choice

Edited by Xoxo Adriana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KanyeWest
37 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

my point overall was to say that no matter what orientation, straight or lgbtq, a “sexual preference” isn’t exclusively marked towards LGBT people. a guy could be attracted to women but “prefer” to date a man. heterosexual and homosexual dating in the end of the day all comes down to this.

If a guy is bisexual. But if a gay man is attracted to men but dates a woman that's because of societal pressure and happened in the past when the world wasn't opened to them. I see no correlation between preference and choice when it comes to sexuality unless you are bisexual or pansexual. If your brain is wired in a way where ur only attracted to a gender, you will not choose, your brain chooses for you. 

40 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

it’s like me saying i prefer strawberries over apples. that doesn’t necessarily mark it as a choice, i choose to eat strawberries but liking them isn’t my choice.

I hate soup, Ive been forced to eat soup, Im sure there's a veggie or fruit you absolutely hate, I want to gag when Im forced to drink soup, I cringe, and I stopped drinking soup for decades now. It's not my choice, it's not my preference, I just don't like it. Preference to me would be defined as, having a selection of things you can pick from, you have to LIKE it in order to then CHOOSE it. But preference can change. I used to hate dark chocolate now I like it. A choice entails that you have THE POWER to CHOOSE between more than ONE possibility. If you are gay, you don't have any possibility of your sexuality, you are attracted to men, or if a lesbian to woman, you do not have any other possibility to SELECT the sexuality of your choosing and therefore have a "preference". If that was the case, dont you think almost a majority would choose straight in order to not go through discrimination? 

47 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

so not sure why everyone is creating this narrative that what this woman said was to intentionally harm to gay community when she literally publically apologised/corrected herself, which the OP didn’t post so i did instead.

She's a catholic, a conservative, she is most likely biased and has certain beliefs even if she apologized, I personally think it's fake.

Xoxo Adriana
1 minute ago, KanyeWest said:

She's a catholic, a conservative, she is most likely biased and has certain beliefs even if she apologized, I personally think it's fake.

let’s just agree to disagree. i know you’re intentions are well and truly good but basing all catholics as homophobic isn’t it. i come from a catholic/conservative household and my family welcomed me with open arms as a trans girl, despite being religious. i do understand it’s not always this scenario but we can’t categorise all religious people as homophobic as thats clearly delusional agshdj.

i think this stigma is pretty dangerous, we as the lgbtq community go through pretty tough stigmas so we shouldn’t be doing the same back. if she’s done harmful things to lgbt people in the past however, i cannot and won’t speak for her any further for obvious reasons.

• Like 2

Lord Temptation

Tom-AE-to, tom-AH-to :ohwell:

KanyeWest
4 minutes ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

let’s just agree to disagree. i know you’re intentions are well and truly good but basing all catholics as homophobic isn’t it. i come from a catholic/conservative household and my family welcomed me with open arms as a trans girl, despite being religious. i do understand it’s not always this scenario but we can’t categorise all religious people as homophobic as thats clearly delusional agshdj.

i think this stigma is pretty dangerous, we as the lgbtq community go through pretty tough stigmas so we shouldn’t be doing the same back. if she’s done harmful things to lgbt people in the past however, i cannot and won’t speak for her any further for obvious reasons.

I only made that conclusion as a woman whos anti abortion because of her religion Id argue that she bases all her decisions based on her religion, or most of it at least. 

• Like 1

Xoxo Adriana
1 minute ago, KanyeWest said:

I only made that conclusion as a woman whos anti abortion because of her religion Id argue that she bases all her decisions based on her religion, or most of it at least. 

i get where you’re coming from. i had no idea she was anti-abortion and those are definitely not my views at all, tbh people should mind their business over those decisions, if they’re not the ones having the abortion it shouldnt be their problem. in saying this definitely not a good idea to come to that conclusion that she’s homophobic because she’s anti-abortion. people can be anti-abortion and still support LGBT people as different as that may sound, anything is possible.

she said in her apology she doesn’t discriminate against anyone for who they love (whether that’s true or not we don’t know) so i don’t think she holds those views, nor has she previously been in any homophobic scandals. 

• Like 1

Lemonky

Lmao and this is a problem now? Your life must be problemless when this bothers you, people are too sensitive for nothing lol

• Like 1

Cody James

I have been able to watch some of the hearings and she seems to be really enforcing that she will judge based off the law. Has adopted children, states she will not judged based off Scalia’s mentoring, etc. I feel if she were to flip the script and go back on all of this, she would live to regret the backlash. Is it POSSIBLE, she truly will be a fair candidate? I know we hear all the discussions of her being anti this, anti that, but could it be that she is genuinely humbled by the nomination and will rule just and fair?

SabadoDeGloria
8 hours ago, Xoxo Adriana said:

that’s not offensive. being straight is also a “sexual preference”. from the sounds of it, she didn’t even mean it that way.  

A sexual preference is whether one likes it on their back or on their knees. A sexual orientation is one's sexual identity, something they cannot change. The former can change over time, the latter really cannot. It's one word, but it can mean a lot to people who are worried about having their civil rights and identity seen as "less than" by the Supreme Court. ACB really should have been briefed better. Her and her team are well aware that the biggest concerns with her nominiation is how it will impact reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and overall healthcare accessibility. 

Donate to your local bail fund: https://bailfunds.github.io/
  • Like 1