💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
movie

‘Avatar 2’ Filming Is 100% Complete, ‘Avatar 3’ 95% Finished

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

DiskoBaby
9 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

You know how Star Wars fans are... they'll rip the movies to shreds, but will still see them 10 times in theater and purchase every possible home video edition. Actually, all fanbases are pretty much like this.

No no no. Back in 2016 yes but The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker all left a bad taste in our mouths. The sales showed too. Weak second viewings, lower box office, less Blu-ray sales, nobody buying the toys and merchandise. All to teach Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm a lesson. All terrible movies the sequel trilogy was. 

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
elijahfan
13 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

No no no. Back in 2016 yes but The Last Jedi and The Rise of Skywalker all left a bad taste in our mouths. The sales showed too. Weak second viewings, lower box office, less Blu-ray sales, nobody buying the toys and merchandise. All to teach Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm a lesson. All terrible movies the sequel trilogy was. 

Ok. But I wasn't making a debate about the state of Star Wars now, anything will get stale at some point if you milk too much in too little time (which circles back to my first post). But you can't take away the fact this is a franchise that has managed to stay somewhat relevant and a source of interest to people for more than 40 years, and I don't believe there's any example in film history that comes close to what this franchise has achieved. Judging by the route James Cameron is taking, props to them if they keep people interested all the way 'til film 5, that's all I'm saying.

DiskoBaby
9 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Ok. But I wasn't making a debate about the state of Star Wars now, anything will get stale at some point if you milk too much in too little time (which circles back to my first post). But you can't take away the fact this is a franchise that has managed to stay somewhat relevant and a source of interest to people for more than 40 years, and I don't believe there's any example in film history that comes close to what this franchise has achieved. Judging by the route James Cameron is taking, props to them if they keep people interested all the way 'til film 5, that's all I'm saying.

You’re right. But in Star Wars case it was like bringing the dead back to life and turning into a zombie. Hopefully Avatar won’t be like that, it sounds like it should be better than the original.

elijahfan
14 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

You’re right. But in Star Wars case it was like bringing the dead back to life and turning into a zombie. Hopefully Avatar won’t be like that, it sounds like it should be better than the original.

I think the issue lies in planning so many sequels at once. I hope Cameron knows what he's doing... Unless he has an extraordinary story to tell, I can't see what could objectively warrant so many films except money. And unfortunately, if Star Wars taught us something, it's that money can definitely ruin everything.

DiskoBaby
Just now, elijahfan said:

I think the issue lies in planning so many sequels at once. I hope Cameron knows what he's doing... Unless he has an extraordinary story to tell, I can't see what could objectively warrant so many films except money.

James Cameron is actually doing the right thing having a roadmap to go by and writing a whole complete story for all the films. What Star Wars did wrong was making up the whole trilogy as they went along and not knowing what story to tell and how to connect them. Avatar looks to be a more cohesive story.

myluis617

Damn so many Avatar haters. Im pretty sure there are millions of people who want to dive in that world again. Its captivating,the landscapes, the creatures and the futuristic technology. Idc if people didnt like the story you cant deny that what made the film great was the visuals. People will still be coming back for the visuals. Yes many films are made like Avatat but they dont take place in Pandora, that is what captivated the audience and it still will lure them in.  

I already have heard the arguement about the story, I dont need to hear it again. Im sure they took notes and will try their best please the fans and new viewers. 

elijahfan
3 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

James Cameron is actually doing the right thing having a roadmap to go by and writing a whole complete story for all the films. What Star Wars did wrong was making up the whole trilogy as they went along and not knowing what story to tell and how to connect them. Avatar looks to be a more cohesive story.

Oh for sure, when planning stuff like that it would be completely abhorrant not to have a plan and stick to it :selena:

But I also think Cameron is under the impression Avatar is more influential than it actually is. Apart from a technological standpoint, I don't really see it being talked about that much these days, and I don't feel like this is a film that's getting a renewed interest through newer generations. The story of the original film had nothing groundbreaking, which I remember it being heavily criticized for, so I'm afraid the sequels will just be another collection of breathtaking visuals with very little to say. People are gonna be curious about the first sequel no matter what, but that could get old real quick if they don't sell a compelling story.

myluis617
9 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

He has been setting up the blue prints for future directors to follow. 

elijahfan
7 hours ago, Lord Temptation said:

Actually that opinion is rather cliché. The story itself is universal, if that’s what you mean :sis:

Eg West Side Story and Romeo & Juliet (and many, many others) all tell a love story against a backdrop of two warring sides :trollga:

... which circles back to the point that the story had absolutely nothing groundbreaking.

Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

DiskoBaby
3 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

... which circles back to the point that the story had absolutely nothing groundbreaking.

Seth Meyers Thank You GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

As with all mainstream movies. Tell me a story that made a lot of money that was really groundbreaking? All plots are generic. That’s why they make money.

elijahfan
44 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

As with all mainstream movies. Tell me a story that made a lot of money that was really groundbreaking? All plots are generic. That’s why they make money.

Maybe groundbreaking isn't the right word, at the end it comes down to how you reinterpret those timeless stories and how fresh and relevant you make them again. I'm thinking of Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter: while the premises are fairly common in fiction, those are incredibly intricate worlds that weren't just about the visuals, which made those films engaging for 9 hrs of footage, or 10 years worth of sequels. What I criticize about Avatar is that it was more talk the talk than walk the walk: it boasted the creation of a brand new intricate world that allegedly took Cameron decades to create, but the final film was ultimately more about putting cool stuff on screen than developing any complex mythology, and it lacked emotional connexion between characters and audience that are essential if you're planning on engaging people's interest through a franchise (at the end of the day, it always comes down to this: the characters). But I count on those sequels to prove me wrong.

DiskoBaby
1 minute ago, elijahfan said:

Maybe groundbreaking isn't the right word, at the end it comes down to how you reinterpret those timeless stories and how fresh and relevant you make them again. I'm thinking of Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter: while the premises are fairly common in fiction, those are incredibly intricate worlds that weren't just about the visuals, which made those films engaging for 9 hrs of footage, or 10 years worth of sequels. What I criticize about Avatar is that it was more talk the talk than walk the walk: it boasted the creation of a brand new intricate world that allegedly took Cameron decades to create, but the final film was ultimately more about putting cool stuff on screen than developing any complex mythology, and it lacked emotional connexion between characters and audience that are essential if you're planning on engaging people's interest through a franchise, but I count on those sequels to prove me wrong.

What made Lord of the Rings stand out was that J.R. Tolkien was one of the first fantasy writers to use the hero’s journey plot. It was common in fairy tales for centuries but he made up his own mythology and had engaging characters. Harry Potter was just a more watered down version of his hero’s journey but set in the modern world. JK Rowling is actually kind of lazy when it came to world building.

I think the problem you have more is t really the plot but the lack of engaging characters and storytelling. The plot is fine but it relied more on world building then the characters inside of it. It was more of a “look how fantastic this fictional world looks, doesn’t it look pretty” but we don’t know much of the characters themselves. But the sequels would change that so it was actually good for an introduction of this new world as long as James Cameron continues the world building and brings more interesting characters. Which he will.

elijahfan
14 minutes ago, DiskoBaby said:

What made Lord of the Rings stand out was that J.R. Tolkien was one of the first fantasy writers to use the hero’s journey plot. It was common in fairy tales for centuries but he made up his own mythology and had engaging characters. Harry Potter was just a more watered down version of his hero’s journey but set in the modern world. JK Rowling is actually kind of lazy when it came to world building.

I think the problem you have more is t really the plot but the lack of engaging characters and storytelling. The plot is fine but it relied more on world building then the characters inside of it. It was more of a “look how fantastic this fictional world looks, doesn’t it look pretty” but we don’t know much of the characters themselves. But the sequels would change that so it was actually good for an introduction of this new world as long as James Cameron continues the world building and brings more interesting characters. Which he will.

I mean, it's hard to beat Tolkien in terms of world building, so we shouldn't throw Rowling under the bus (at least not for this reason...). But I definitely agree with your second paragraph. I hope the Avatar sequels deliver what Cameron has promised ever since the first movie :ohwell:

Chromatican

Lol at these people saying Avatar was nothing new, and then stanning Avengers 4 and other equally or more generic blockbusters. Since when are blockbusters supposed to be David Lynch films?

Archived