⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

💌 fan envelope 💌
Sign in to follow this  
society

Airlines In Canada Not Refunding Passengers Uncomfortable With Crowding

Economy
Posted (edited)

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canadian-airlines-accused-of-ignoring-covid-precautions-denying-refunds-1.1461826

Some Provinces in Canada have been opening up borders to eachother and loosening restrictions on air travel increasing domestic flights

However most airlines are now booking middle seats and fitting more people on the plane on grounds that it's impossible even just to break even on flights if too few people are booked

Some passengers booked flights when middle seats still weren't being booked and now don't want to travel anymore with more filled up planes but they will not be getting refunds

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1

Maleficent

well...i mean if ur willing to travel by air in the first place, obviously you aren't that wary of the virus--so sitting in the middle seat shouldn't be a stretch, by that logic. I can see why airlines won't give refunds: if you don't wanna sit in the middle seat/fly in a crowded plane, STAY HOME

• YAAAS 1
  • Thanks 1

Economy
4 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

well...i mean if ur willing to travel by air in the first place, obviously you aren't that wary of the virus--so sitting in the middle seat shouldn't be a stretch, by that logic. I can see why airlines won't give refunds: if you don't wanna sit in the middle seat/fly in a crowded plane, STAY HOME

I get both perspectives.

On the one hand before the first flights were being done with less people and people may have assumed that would continue and now it sucks that it's no longer the case and if they don't wanna travel anymore that way and can't get money back it sucks

But I also don't think it was realistic to expects flights to continue that way for long when these airlines are bleeding cash like no tomorrow

JGD
5 minutes ago, Maleficent said:

I get that point, but airlines should take additional measures to ensure that they’re doing their part in fighting the spread of the virus and add more lower capacity flights.  It may be costly, but in the long term, they’ll be affected even more as the duration of the pandemic stretches.

CyanLights

If they booked their seats with the presumptions that middle seating wasnt going to be implemented then they should probably get their refunds :shrug:

Cranky Capricorn ♑️
  • Like 3

Economy
4 minutes ago, JGD said:

I get that point, but airlines should take additional measures to ensure that they’re doing their part in fighting the spread of the virus and add more lower capacity flights.  It may be costly, but in the long term, they’ll be affected even more as the duration of the pandemic stretches.

The impact on virus trends from airline policy alone isn't gonna be significant enough for it to be worth it for them so I'm not sure I'd use this economic argument for an airline

I think if they are loosing money with low capacity flights it's best to just not do them at all

weed

If I got my ticket under the premise there would be less people, and they changed that, that's on the business and not me. Maybe don't lie to customers and they won't ask for a refund

Economy
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, weed said:

If I got my ticket under the premise there would be less people, and they changed that, that's on the business and not me. Maybe don't lie to customers and they won't ask for a refund

I'm not sure if they said it was going to remain that way or if people were just making the assumption it would stay that way. If ppl just assumed I wouldn't call that lying

But the article isn't being specific enough and the exact circumstances I would assume may also vary from company to company. The article is generalizing too much and not being specific enough to be able to say

Tho 2 companies (Air Canada and West Jet) pretty much monopolize domestic flights so I assume they are refering to those two even tho they didn't call them by name

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

weed
1 minute ago, Economy said:

I'm not sure if they said it was going to remain that way or if people were just making the assumption it would stay that way. If ppl just assumed I wouldn't call that lying

But the article isn't being specific enough and the exact circumstances I would assume may also vary from company to company. The article is generalizing too much and bit being specific enough to be able to say

Tho 2 companies (Air Canada and West Jet) pretty much monopolize domestic flights so I assume they are refering to those two even tho they didn't call them by name

"No middle seats sold now but we will in the future for that same flight" that wouldn't make sense to me. But yeah the article is very vague, could be very circumstantial. If I were to go on a plane, regardless of how many other people, I'd be as safe and secure as I could be from car door to exiting the destination airport. 

• Like 1

PoetsTryinWrite

I’ve travelled recently by plane and train through a couple of airports and many different stations and I’ve tested negative for COVID. I honestly believe if people simply take the proper precautions you can guard yourself against it. 

Defend Your Humanity.

Economy
3 minutes ago, weed said:

"No middle seats sold now but we will in the future for that same flight" that wouldn't make sense to me. But yeah the article is very vague, could be very circumstantial. If I were to go on a plane, regardless of how many other people, I'd be as safe and secure as I could be from car door to exiting the destination airport. 

Yeah. It all sounds very sneaky on the part of the airlines :enigma:

Im very surprised they were so vague tho. BNN is Canada's largest and most reputable business news network (I keep up with their updates daily) and they tend to be very direct and specific so I don't get the sudden vagueness and lack of detail :emma:

Webb7

Americans airlines And United  are also saying goodbye to physical distancing. And no refund. I have to agree with passengers that they should get a refund. I use to fly to Europe 3 times a month. ( Lisbon, Frankfurt , London Barcelona etc) but now I am so scared to fly even when it’s almost free with Business class :messga:

Faysalaaa
1 hour ago, Maleficent said:

Some people have to travel though even if they dont want to..

Example is moving to another state to take care of their sick or dying mother. Some people lost jobs and got a new job somewhere else. Some people left where their work to quarantine with family and now their jobs asked them back.

Florin

Well, no one forces them to travel economy. 

alsemanche
Posted (edited)

Of course people are siding with the airlines here :huntyga: 

Business is more important than safety after all, right? :enigma:

Edited by alsemanche