Economy 53,171 Posted March 30, 2020 Author Share Posted March 30, 2020 6 minutes ago, brownie said: And I apologize for coming across so harshly — you’re just a trusted source here and there’s so much fake news and maybes going around with this virus that I just want everyone to be safe and knowledgeable and not let our anxieties get the best of us! A lot of my family is believing in weird coronavirus conspiracies or quoting exaggerated numbers and stats so lately I’ve just kinda been harsh towards anything without a source. Main problem with the contract: who knows if the company survives this virus? Hollywood / film industry could be a very different landscape when it all returns... I hope u still get to have ur contract For me I have no job waiting for me when quarantines end. It was the worst possible timing Again what really screws me over if that when I lost my job and applied for EI unemployment was at a 40 year low in my area and that's how Canada determines how long ur entitled to get EI during application process so I only get 3 months So unemployment suddenly spiking right after my claim doesn't give me more time for EI because it's determined in the moment u apply. So unless the Government changes it and extends the weeks for ppl that were already on it (no mention of that so far) mine will expire soon and how the hell am I supposed to find work right now when most businesses are closed and the ones that aren't suddenly have a tone of people competing for the same jobs???? The Government announced all kinds of assistance to different situations Including those who lost job due to covid 19 that normally don't qualify for EI But loosing ur job right before this all went down and getting a length of EI time (3 months) that is insufficient for current circumstances is not one circumstance they even acknowledged so far Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
literallyFAD 102 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 i'd rather die than living like a stone i'd rather die than living like a stone Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
brownie 5 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 9 minutes ago, stensil said: i'd rather die than living like a stone just stay inside for a few more weeks or months and this too will pass! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
brownie 5 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 39 minutes ago, Economy said: I hope u still get to have ur contract For me I have no job waiting for me when quarantines end. It was the worst possible timing Again what really screws me over if that when I lost my job and applied for EI unemployment was at a 40 year low in my area and that's how Canada determines how long ur entitled to get EI during application process so I only get 3 months So unemployment suddenly spiking right after my claim doesn't give me more time for EI because it's determined in the moment u apply. So unless the Government changes it and extends the weeks for ppl that were already on it (no mention of that so far) mine will expire soon and how the hell am I supposed to find work right now when most businesses are closed and the ones that aren't suddenly have a tone of people competing for the same jobs???? The Government announced all kinds of assistance to different situations Including those who lost job due to covid 19 that normally don't qualify for EI But loosing ur job right before this all went down and getting a length of EI time (3 months) that is insufficient for current circumstances is not one circumstance they even acknowledged so far I feel ya, cause much of my work was freelance set work and editing jobs — but now there are no commercials to direct or edit or work on, my contract with a big company is up in the air, and all my savings will go to rent in 2 days. There’s not much of a plan to bail out the film industry and nothing I can do as a freelance commercial editor / director to get new work rn, and I didn’t have a permanent job for which I could get full unemployment benefits either. Im just trapped at my LA apartment watching my money dwindle to nothing with no foreseeable jobs, after I spent 6 years getting to a point last year where I was directing my own stuff...so yeah, this is bad timing for pretty much everyone. But as the saying goes...this too shall pass. All we can do is take what we know and stay safe for now. I’m looking into reaching out to people who may still need editing I can do from home, and I’m applying for partial unemployment. Is there any work you can pursue from home at all? Anything you can sell on ebay? I’m about to list some of my most prized possessions — rare first editions of rare books I’ve collected....but it’s the books or paying rent next month. But I mean...these are the things we have to do right now. All I can hope is that this passes and I can continue to rise in hollywood to buy my precious rare books back one day... Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
brownie 5 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 @Economy and I mean I hope it doesn’t get much worse, but if the world economy tanks any harder (which all projections point to) I believe both our respective countries will put nationwide holds on rent or bail the people out somehow. They’re not just gonna let millions of people lose their homes and apartments! Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,171 Posted March 30, 2020 Author Share Posted March 30, 2020 3 minutes ago, brownie said: I feel ya, cause much of my work was freelance set work and editing jobs — but now there are no commercials to direct or edit or work on, my contract with a big company is up in the air, and all my savings will go to rent in 2 days. There’s not much of a plan to bail out the film industry and nothing I can do as a freelance commercial editor / director to get new work rn, and I didn’t have a permanent job for which I could get full unemployment benefits either. Im just trapped at my LA apartment watching my money dwindle to nothing with no foreseeable jobs, after I spent 6 years getting to a point last year where I was directing my own stuff...so yeah, this is bad timing for pretty much everyone. But as the saying goes...this too shall pass. All we can do is take what we know and stay safe for now. I’m looking into reaching out to people who may still need editing I can do from home, and I’m applying for partial unemployment. Is there any work you can pursue from home at all? Anything you sell on ebay? I’m about to list some of my most prized possessions — rare first editions of rare books I’ve collected....but it’s the books or paying rent next month. But I mean...these are the things we have to do right now. All I can hope is that this passes and I can continue to rise in hollywood to buy my precious rare books back one day... Good luck searching I'm checking out construction and warehouse (both still running) but so far no responses which tells me more people than usual must be competing for openings now cuz normally in my area these are really easy jobs to get... And I held on to the same job for 8.5 years so u would think that looks good on my resume I unfortunately don't have many valuables to sell. The only thing I can think of is my wedding gold ring (which now that I'm getting divorced I don't need) It cost around $400 not sure what the usual markup is what the resell value is when it's not brand new. On top of that it has engraved writing on it that would require work to remove further lowering it's value If I can get $80 to $100 for it I'll be happy with that Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,171 Posted March 30, 2020 Author Share Posted March 30, 2020 1 minute ago, brownie said: @Economy and I mean I hope it doesn’t get much worse, but if the world economy tanks any harder (which all projections point to) I believe both our respective countries will put nationwide holds on rent or bail the people out somehow. They’re not just gonna let millions of people lose their homes and apartments! I don't know. Given the housing crisis here if they put holds on rent it's gonna be a disaster. The housing crisis is so bad that my Province has exempted construction from the lockdown for now on the grounds we can't afford to stop building for even weeks Many landlords in Canada are just average people who require tenants in part of their house to be able to manage their mortgage payments (cuz home prices have gotten so insane here) not rich landlords investing. A stop on rents would mean mass foreclosures to homeowners too Canadians already have the highest consumer debt in the world (along with Australia, Switzerland, Denmark & Netherlands). The exact rankings vary depending on who collects the data but basically in my Country ppl cannot afford even a paycheck missed so this is gonna be disaster One thing the government is doing is providing $2000/month for ppl who lost jobs related to lockdown and that don't qualify for the standard EI benefits for the next 4 months But because I did qualify for EI and my layoff happened 2 weeks before things started shutting down I don't qualify for that assistance The Government also convinced the 6 largest banks (which are like 90% of Canada's market) to offer mortgage deferrals for up to 6 months for the unemployed so there's that help too The measures should prevent a total collapse for the next few months but again, in my circumstances I don't qualify for any of the help cuz I got 3 months of EI even tho 3 months in the current changed economy is rediculously low Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Woolfsmck 2,763 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 So corporations have no money and have to fire workers who will die of starvation or steal food...? ......... Meanwhile Bernie Bro's and AOC's complain about corporate bail outs for the US... I wonder if the US gov. Is trying to lessen the economic damage this virus is doing...?? Or am I a troll missing something here.? like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Whispering 18,865 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 Italy is full of Catholic Churches. Haven’t they stepped up to help feed the poor? Isn’t there government assistance? In the US, unemployment benefits will be increased and extended. We also have a stimulus payment. Taxes are being delayed. Mortgage companies are delaying payments for three months. States are protecting renters and refusing to cut electricity or water services during this period. Automobile companies are working with people on payment options. Student loans are being frozen. We have food banks, SNAP, Meals on Wheels and the school lunch program is continuing for children. In my city and state, churches and sports teams and country music stars, are funding programs to get food to those in need. I would think many other countries are doing the same. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sumeet 456 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 We're having same situation here in India. I'm with my boyfriend. We're running out of food and money. I can't go back to home too. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bt1 5,213 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 I totally agree with what @Economy said. Until now, the total lockdown only worked in China and I'm sorry but I dont believe their government. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Economy 53,171 Posted March 30, 2020 Author Share Posted March 30, 2020 21 minutes ago, Whispering said: Italy is full of Catholic Churches. Haven’t they stepped up to help feed the poor? Isn’t there government assistance? In the US, unemployment benefits will be increased and extended. We also have a stimulus payment. Taxes are being delayed. Mortgage companies are delaying payments for three months. States are protecting renters and refusing to cut electricity or water services during this period. Automobile companies are working with people on payment options. Student loans are being frozen. We have food banks, SNAP, Meals on Wheels and the school lunch program is continuing for children. In my city and state, churches and sports teams and country music stars, are funding programs to get food to those in need. I would think many other countries are doing the same. I guess cuz #1 there's a delay in benefit payouts #2 the benefits almost never fully make up for actual pay from work #3 these measures don't account for everyone in every circumstance so there will be ppl in a very tough spot Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Francesca Cipriani 1,668 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 10 hours ago, Economy said: one of those useless 30 year olds in their parents basement doing nothing but play video games all d Hey, I spent 3 years of my life doing it, before finding a job and renting an apartament... it's not that bad Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Guest Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 Exactly why I think Italy will leave EU after this crisis. Nobody helped them apart from China but nobody in EU helped them. Nobody, and EU was created for solidarity in times of crisis. Now I understand that we all need our masks, we all gotta save our own people, but when in last December early January, they heard the virus was going around China, EU should've acted fast for a possible pandemic situation. To me this just shows how amateurish they all are. No leadership at all anywhere. It's cute to get an education and study at school but if u don't have a brain to anticipate and PLAN, then it's useless. We don't need booksmart we need strategic/logical people running our countries Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bt1 5,213 Posted March 30, 2020 Share Posted March 30, 2020 1 minute ago, kyanewest said: Exactly why I think Italy will leave EU after this crisis. Nobody helped them apart from China but nobody in EU helped them. Nobody, and EU was created for solidarity in times of crisis. Now I understand that we all need our masks, we all gotta save our own people, but when in last December early January, they heard the virus was going around China, EU should've acted fast for a possible pandemic situation. To me this just shows how amateurish they all are. No leadership at all anywhere. It's cute to get an education and study at school but if u don't have a brain to anticipate and PLAN, then it's useless. We don't need booksmart we need strategic/logical people running our countries EU should have done more, but why not those particular countries? It's stupid to blame the EU, but yeah politicians will do that because it was always easy to blame someone else. All countries need help and China is offering the help to every EU country who is asking. It's a political strategy. They are trying to gain more influence in EU and it looks like it is working. Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.