💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

J.LO & Shakira Half Time Show (2020)

RAMROD

Featured Posts

They killed it. I loved Shakira's shine and raw energy. JLo to be honest owned the stage with the entrance and pole, she really brought that political and latin (Shakira also) bold statement to it. I am glad they found a way to dance through it together. But Gaga is my number one. Number's do not matter but damn spanglish community rules yt

• Replies 790
  • Created
  • Last Reply
StrawberryBlond
22 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

It actually was. A a fellow Latino I am happy to see representation for any country. 

Shakira didn’t mention Colombia but she performed many traditional Colombian dances. J Balvin mentioned Colombia as well. 

Latinos in the US have a sense of unity. Seeing Shakir and J. Lo representing all different types of cultures made me very proud. 

Fair enough. I just thought that Hispanics like to see the intricacies in their countries made clear and take pride in their differences. I'm Scottish, which is part of the UK but don't feel the same rush of national pride when I see English, Welsh or Northern Irish representation specifically, it has to be either Scottish or Britain as a whole. If English performers were waving England flags at a British event, this stuff would be highly controversial in Scotland. Vocal references are one thing. It's when you bring flags into it that it starts getting risky.

19 hours ago, KNJ said:

LOL I really didn't think I'd still be replying to this but every answer prompts a new question :oprah:

Lol how old are you? Your parents don't know bout illusion mesh :ladyhaha:

The thing is JLo simply rep'd where she came from. Not just with flag, flags actually, but in the entire themes and songs in their performances. This was full Latin love on display....from an American woman. She's from ( "from") PR, so she rep'd  PR. :shrug: And Shakira doesn't ever need to say she's from Columbia, she shouts it out in her song from day one. How did you know when was from Columbia? Cuz I knew through song I heard for years 😄. She reps Columbia/Latin America in everything she does. Just like JLo with PR. Thinking of it: Didnt U2 have Irish and U.S. flag during their halftime? Did Europeans feel a way when they rep'd?

I am not Latin American, but I am first generation American. What I've found is that when one of "us" makes it, we all make it in a way. This show was awesome to see and I felt included. It resonated as an immigrants child. This is an immigrant country so... I had no prob with it.

I don't know where you are in the US, or your race or ethnicity, but in the NY/NJ area, we are a melting pot. And one way to keep a connection to the old country is to keep repping it. Keep showing people we --your people-- are out here. There are bumper stickers, flags big and small, shirts, keychains, bandanas, air fresheners, patches, medallions, jacket linings...like its all here and not adversarial. Unless ppl wanna be a-holes.

It's pride. It's visibility. It's letting people know they're not alone. All immigrants, I feel, know/do this.

BUT...repping one place does not equate to sh!tting on others.If ppl from other Latin countries are upset in any way, they are being petty and unreasonable. Her PR pride is by extension Latin pride. 

By spotlighting a country and population that has been severely neglected, and largely forgotten,  or are under attack right now is inclusion.

I'm 30. Of course there's an illusion mesh but it's still extremely high cut and makes it look like there's bare skin underneath. She also blatantly posed in a butt shot and grinding up against that rapper. This was the the inappropriate part of the show.

Repping where you come from is all well and good with vocal references but bringing flags into it makes it all a bit too exclusive and this isn't supposed to be the point of, as J-Lo herself stated, a show of unity. I don't know if U2 brought out an Irish flag during their performance (I didn't watch it back then) but I also think you shouldn't bring out the flag of a country that's not the one of the country you're in. Of course Europeans won't mind as the majority of them don't watch the SB and it's not a European event. But if it was a performance at some sort of European championship and the flag of one country was brought out over all others, that would cause controversy.

I'm a white European, from Scotland. So, hardly the SB's target demographic but I've been watching it every year since 2012. Of course I understand national pride but it has to be appropriate. If you're performing at an event showcasing one country, you shouldn't bring another country's flags into it. It's just common sense.

23 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Fair enough. I just thought that Hispanics like to see the intricacies in their countries made clear and take pride in their differences. I'm Scottish, which is part of the UK but don't feel the same rush of national pride when I see English, Welsh or Northern Irish representation specifically, it has to be either Scottish or Britain as a whole. If English performers were waving England flags at a British event, this stuff would be highly controversial in Scotland. Vocal references are one thing. It's when you bring flags into it that it starts getting risky.

I'm 30. Of course there's an illusion mesh but it's still extremely high cut and makes it look like there's bare skin underneath. She also blatantly posed in a butt shot and grinding up against that rapper. This was the the inappropriate part of the show.

Repping where you come from is all well and good with vocal references but bringing flags into it makes it all a bit too exclusive and this isn't supposed to be the point of, as J-Lo herself stated, a show of unity. I don't know if U2 brought out an Irish flag during their performance (I didn't watch it back then) but I also think you shouldn't bring out the flag of a country that's not the one of the country you're in. Of course Europeans won't mind as the majority of them don't watch the SB and it's not a European event. But if it was a performance at some sort of European championship and the flag of one country was brought out over all others, that would cause controversy.

I'm a white European, from Scotland. So, hardly the SB's target demographic but I've been watching it every year since 2012. Of course I understand national pride but it has to be appropriate. If you're performing at an event showcasing one country, you shouldn't bring another country's flags into it. It's just common sense.

Ok. I think we'll may have to leave the convo here and chalk it up to cultural differences.

Because these were two  women  did on that stage exactly what made them famous and loved in this country.

Side note: how do you not know the deal with JLo's ass???  It's basically a national gd treasure. Ya damn right it'll make a cameo. It probably turned to the camera on its own :lmao:

Spoiler

JLO's butt: reclaim maxine waters GIF

The little I know about Scotland, I can see how someone waving an "outside" flag could be a sensitivity and feel entirely antagonistic.

But the thing--the beauty-- about America is, unless you descend from a Native people, every American, is from the "outside". We are a giant melting pot and we indulge in our, and each others, heritage. The whole point is to never forget "the old country". We are an incredibly multicultural country. Its ok to have pride and be proud for others.

In America: everyone is Irish on St Patrick's Day, don't have to be PR to attend or be in the PR parade, nor Italian to rock a little Tricolore flag ribbon on Columbus Day.

So if you invite a proud Columbian and proud Puerto Rican to a majority Latino city to perform...no one in America should be bleeping surprised they showed out. And we weren't. Cuz it's what we do. 😁 People friggin loved it!

Like I said before, boosting a smaller country, on a national/international platform like this, from America, is actually an act of inclusion

It's a way of saying, we see you, we love you, be proud.

Spoiler

Ironically, since 9/11, for me, in my area, aggressively dousing yourself in the stars and stripes has come to mean something else entirely. But that's another convo 

And I think it was another show not halftime U2 had both flags. 

"She's an intellectual, your honor"

StrawberryBlond
14 minutes ago, KNJ said:

Ok. I think we'll may have to leave the convo here and chalk it up to cultural differences.

Because these were two  women  did on that stage exactly what made them famous and loved in this country.

Side note: how do you not know the deal with JLo's ass???  It's basically a national gd treasure. Ya damn right it'll make a cameo. It probably turned to the camera on its own :lmao:

Reveal hidden contents

JLO's butt: reclaim maxine waters GIF

The little I know about Scotland, I can see how someone waving an "outside" flag could be a sensitivity and feel entirely antagonistic.

But the thing--the beauty-- about America is, unless you descend from a Native people, every American, is from the "outside". We are a giant melting pot and we indulge in our, and each others, heritage. The whole point is to never forget "the old country". We are an incredibly multicultural country. Its ok to have pride and be proud for others.

In America: everyone is Irish on St Patrick's Day, don't have to be PR to attend or be in the PR parade, nor Italian to rock a little Tricolore flag ribbon on Columbus Day.

So if you invite a proud Columbian and proud Puerto Rican to a majority Latino city to perform...no one in America should be bleeping surprised they showed out. And we weren't. Cuz it's what we do. 😁 People friggin loved it!

Like I said before, boosting a smaller country, on a national/international platform like this, from America, is actually an act of inclusion

It's a way of saying, we see you, we love you, be proud.

Reveal hidden contents

Ironically, since 9/11, for me, in my area, aggressively dousing yourself in the stars and stripes has come to mean something else entirely. But that's another convo 

And I think it was another show not halftime U2 had both flags. 

Perhaps so, but I thought Americans were very protective over their flag and didn't like to see outsider flags at American events. I thought all countries were like that, really.

I liked their setlist and all and it was really entertaining, I just thought some elements of it were unnecessary and I feel like focusing in on a butt isn't really right for a family event. I didn't mind the synchronised butt swivels at the end as that focused more on hips. I understand Latin culture is a lot more sexual than most but Shakira was at least a bit more appropriate with it and you could tell she was doing her dances out of pure joy whereas I always feel like J-Lo's aim is to make men drool when she dances.

Well, every country is becoming more and more like a melting pot, really. We all like to hang onto our native identities but it's all about showing them at the correct times. I guess national pride parades aren't the done thing where I'm from so I've never got why a non Irish would celebrate St Paddy's Day or a non-Mexican would celebrate Cinco De Mayo and suchlike. But I guess for a lot of people, it's a good excuse for a party.

But each to their own. The most negativity came from the sexuality of the show above all else with not even the most conservative types bringing up the flag which was a bit of a surprise.

MelbHawker

Both gals gave me so much life, this was so great! There was so much energy during that show, it was such a spectacle. It was so entertaining. I didn't care that there was lip synching - I expected it, and it didn't detract from the energy. Their dancing was fire. Shakira is unreal. Loved how they both celebrated their cultures. 

Best bits were the fabulous outro and the fierce pose they both finished with (even though Jen kinda stumbled as she spun around), Waiting For Tonight, Shakira's belly dancing. I also slept on 'She Wolf' and I now live for it. 

I didn't like the male rappers they had onstage with them. I didn't know who they were and they took away from the show. 

Thomas P

Passed 100mil views, phew the talent they possess :bradley:

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

ChavaWM

Now that I've had enough time to watch and dissect, I would've liked both girls to have separate shows, so many great tracks they missed out on

Shakira- Loca, Rabiosa, Addicted to You

JLo - If You Had My Love, Play, I'm Gonna Be Alright

Rudz Xinc

Just re-watched Gaga's Halftime Show. It was more superior than this already great show, I'm so proud of her.

J.Lo and Shakira did amazing, but our girl did better. :vegas:

Look at those clowns

Pharamon

J.Lo was great but very predictable, Shakira on the other hand, there's something so pure about her stage presence and she NAILED IT.

pachinko

Both were phenomenal but Shakira has this natural glow about her when she performs. Pure joy emanates from her.

• 2 months later...
BabyMario44
On 2/3/2020 at 2:35 AM, WORLDofGAGA said:

Best Super Bowl performance since Gaga, both of them killed it, loved the choreography. One minus was I felt some songs were rushed through just to get to the next. 

Yes! They slayed but Shakira outdanced and outperformed JLO. Yep i do agree its the best since Gaga.

I STAN FOR TALENT

• Shadow locked this topic

Archived