Stefani Tee
Sign in to follow this  
society

Coronavirus Discussion

Featured Posts

jprince99x

coronavirus_cover_colour_change_1024.jpg

The forum has been blasted with Coronavirus threads over the past few days, so let this thread serve as

The Official Discussion for Coronavirus:

LATEST NEWS:

Spoiler

A person in Orange County, Calif., has tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The Orange County Health Care Agency, which received confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the person had been sent to a hospital and was in “good condition.”

The patient is a traveler from Wuhan, China, and “there is no evidence that person-to-person transmission has occurred in Orange County,” according to the agency. “The current risk of local transmission remains low,” it said in a statement.

It is the third confirmed case in the United States. The others involved a woman in her 60s in Chicago and a man in his 30s in Washington State.

China on Sunday morning announced 15 more deaths from the new coronavirus, including one in Shanghai, the first reported in the metropolis.

Thirteen more deaths were also announced in Hubei Province, where the outbreak began, and one was announced in Henan Province. The latest deaths brought the toll in China to 56.

Across the country, 688 cases of the new virus were diagnosed on Saturday, the government said early Sunday. That brings the total number of confirmed cases to 1,975.

LATEST STATISTICS:

Spoiler

JANUARY 25:
846 confirmed cases

25 deaths

JANUARY 26:

1975 suspected cases

56 deaths

SITUATION OF REPORTED CASES:

https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/enhanced_sur_pneumonia_wuhan_eng.pdf

COUNTRIES WITH REPORTED CASES:

https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/statistics_of_the_cases_novel_coronavirus_infection_en.pdf

BUILDINGS THAT INFECTED PEOPLE HAVE VISITED

https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/building_list_eng.pdf

THESE LINKS ARE LIVE AND UPDATE DAILY

VISIT THEM REGULARLY FOR THE LATEST DATA

INFO / Q&A

Spoiler

When did the outbreak start?

China first reported the outbreak in Wuhan on Dec. 30, 2019.

Where have people been diagnosed?

Most have been diagnosed in China. Other countries with cases include Japan, Thailand, Taiwan, South Korea, Vietnam, Singapore, and two in the United States. World Health Organization officials say that among 291 cases they had data for so far, 72% were in people 40 and older, and about two-thirds were men. People with other health conditions are more at risk of severe illness, they say.

What are public officials doing to contain the virus?

Chinese officials have shut down all public transportation to 10 cities, affecting 35 million people. The first was Wuhan, which has a population of about 11 million. In Wuhan, that includes buses, subways, trains, and the airport.

All passengers flying into the United States from Wuhan will be routed through one of five airports and screened for fever and other signs of the virus. “Patients of concern” will be referred to a facility and given a test to find out if they have the virus.

What do we know about cases in the United States?

The first U.S. patient is a man in his 30s from Washington state. He had traveled from Wuhan and entered the country before the screening was in place. He started having symptoms and contacted his doctor. He is in good condition and is in isolation at Providence Regional Medical Center.

The second case involves a woman in her 60s from Chicago. The Chicago Tribune reported Friday that she had visited Wuhan, China in December and returned to Chicago earlier this month. She is hospitalized but is in stable condition, the newspaper reported. 

Is travel to China safe?

Wuhan is closed to travelers.

How can I protect myself?

The CDC advises travelers to China to Avoid contact with sick people, Avoid animals, animal markets, and products that come from animals. Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based sanitizer if that’s not available. Seek medical care right away if you have a fever, cough, or a hard time breathing. Tell your health care professional about your travel.

What are the symptoms, and how is the virus diagnosed?

China created a test for the virus and shared that information with other countries. The CDC has developed its own test. Symptoms include a fever, coughing, and shortness of breath. They may appear 2 to 14 days after you’re exposed to the virus.

What is the source of the virus, and how is it spread?

Health officials are not sure of the source of the virus yet or how easily it can spread. Coronaviruses are found in many different animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. One research paper also suggested snakes as a possible source. The new virus may be linked to a seafood and live animal market in Wuhan that has since been closed

The virus can spread from person to person. Health officials are seeing this happen most often where people are close together and in health care settings. To date, 16 health care workers have been infected.

The CDC believes that severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS), two other types of coronavirus, are spread through droplets when someone coughs or sneezes.

Is there a vaccine?

There is no vaccine, but the National Institutes of Health is working on one and hopes to begin testing in several months. That testing would be for safety. If it’s safe, there would be testing to see how well it works.

How is it treated?

There is no specific treatment for the virus. Patients are generally given supportive care for their symptoms, such a fluids and pain relievers. Hospitalized patients may need support with breathing.

IMPORTANT LINKS:

Spoiler

World Health Organization Situation Reports (new reports released daily)

https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports

Countries/areas with reported cases of novel coronavirus infection

https://www.chp.gov.hk/files/pdf/statistics_of_the_cases_novel_coronavirus_infection_en.pdf

Live tracker/map

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Official Coronavirus CDC (Center for Disease Control) page

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

ALL OF THESE LINKS UPDATE DAILY, SO COME BACK AND CHECK REGULARLY

Learn about the virus (For Smart People)

Spoiler

Learn about the virus (simplified)

gr1.jpg

"Coronavirus" is an umbrella term for a type of group/family of viruses. The outbreak that we are facing today is referred to as the "Wuhan Coronavirus"

Centre for Health Protection has set up a hotline (2125 1122) for the suspected and confirmed cases. The hotline operates daily from 8am to 9pm including public holidays. Persons who are regarded as close contacts and other contacts of the cases concerned should call the hotline.

Please tag @jprince99x with updates. This is a live post! I will update daily.

Let's discuss!

Last updated on:

Saturday, January 26, 2020

7:50 AM EST

Edited by jprince99x
Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan
  • Thanks 1

LateToCult

I wonder how schools will respond once spring break arrives. There are lots of students from China who go back to be with family and I don’t think this will be any better by then.

malzejar

I heard in the news they are rushing a vaccine for the outbreak that will be human tested in 16 weeks, it may sound like a lot of time but vaccine development can take years and even decades.

calmar

Guess who went through Chicago O'Hare airport yesterday also and is immunosuppressed :trollga:

Edited by calmar
俺の勝利は揺るぎない
  • Shook 4
  • Sad 1

Woolfsmck

The way I'm reading this is limit your contact in public …  if you know anyone or have common associates with someone who has gotten it ,  take every precaution not to spread it...

Educating people is the best way to prevent this from creating a catastrophic event.

like a cat in a sil, I observe life, moving and still. My words give a clue,look inside to see whats true

FfFfFfFF

I read that the mortality rate is 3% and even this could be an overestimation because healthy people that can handle the disease don't report it and many cases go unnoticed.

I am still a bit scared it will come to my country because I live in a somehow big city with an airport.. 

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Thanks 1

OpenHeartedMonster

There are also few cases in France and Australia. This is one article I found in English

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/coronavirus-australia-china-death-toll-melbourne-wuhan-virus-symptoms-latest-a9301236.html 

I think you could update that to the OP @jprince99x

I believe and hope that this won't become a pandemic. It seems that this is easier to treat than ebola for example and that this isn't as dangerous. But I'm still a bit worried that the virus has spread this far in so little time. I mean, there was only very few ebola cases outside Africa but this virus has spread to four continents already :/ I trust the medical experts, though!

Edited by OpenHeartedMonster
  • Thanks 1

kyanewest

I ****in knew it would come to France, ugh

Kanye West Is Blonde And Gone

OpenHeartedMonster
10 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

I read that the mortality rate is 3% and even this could be an overestimation because healthy people that can handle the disease don't report it and many cases go unnoticed.

This is good news! And now that this has become wider known, experts will find a better way to cure this or at least mitigate the symptoms

• Like 1

Eido

Hello, your numbers are incorrect as from yesterday 9pm there were 1260ish confirmed cases... 

jprince99x
1 minute ago, Eido said:

Hello, your numbers are incorrect as from yesterday 9pm there were 1260ish confirmed cases... 

those are not yet verified by the World Health Organization or the CDC. The live map is showing around 1500 cases now (not all are verified).

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

FfFfFfFF
7 minutes ago, OpenHeartedMonster said:

This is good news! And now that this has become wider known, experts will find a better way to cure this or at least mitigate the symptoms

The mortality rate for the usual cold is 1%, plus keep in mind that most deaths are from the elderly that got the disease, not adults or even kids. 

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 2

Eido
3 minutes ago, jprince99x said:

those are not yet verified by the World Health Organization or the CDC. The live map is showing around 1500 cases now (not all are verified).

I mean there are 1362 confirmed cases by the Chinese CDC, we already thinking they are reducing that number so I doubt we only have 800 since their hospitals are already full and they have put 15 cities on quarantine :ladyhaha:

• Like 1

dove

I hooked up with a guy yesterday. I had seen his profile picture before but didn't really pay that much attention to it. So after dancingincircles with each other I get home and I take a look at his pic again and start noticing that he's actually posing next to a some kind of water fountain or something I can't really tell but there are chinese letters written in some places and now I'm freaking out because maybe he's been to china?? Or maybe it's a chinese restaurant from where I live but I have no idea and either way, I don't think it is because then why would he take a photo? My hypochondria kicked in hard. 

I'm trying to tell myself that if he actually were in china then he would be sick already but who knows?? I'm between laughing and scared as f*** lol!!!

Edited by dove
  • Shook 1