Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Drag Queen Slams Drag Story Hour For Kids

BUtterfield 8

Featured Posts

I don't really understand how nudity sex and drugs being at gay bars is relevant to drag queens reading stories to children. Are athletes pure straight-edge angels? They never touch drugs or have sex? Ok mama whatever you say.

She's talking about two different things here. Drag Story Hour is just drag queens reading stories to children. It has nothing to do with getting them in drag and taking them to night clubs lol. Drag queens have a lot to teach children about identity, about acceptance, about being open, etc.

Yes, drag queens are around alcohol and other drugs all the time but to be quite honest who isn't? Just go to any nightclub and you can overdose in 30 minutes if you want. Or not. It's like saying Gaga or any popstar shouldn't be around children ever because they have access to drugs lol. Or athletes. Or any uncle or cousin or any person whatsoever lol.

For **** sake. Why do drag queens have to read stories to kids? :ladyhaha:  It’s like everyone’s always looking for the next random/ridiculous thing to start fighting for. Just let kids be kids and if they need to learn about identity/acceptance they can do it the normal way; by growing up! Let their parents do their job. 

Miracle
8 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

For **** sake. Why do drag queens have to read stories to kids? :ladyhaha:  It’s like everyone’s always looking for the next random/ridiculous thing to start fighting for. Just let kids be kids and if they need to learn about identity/acceptance they can do it the normal way; by growing up! Let their parents do their job. 

Kids are not property of their parents and should be taught equality justice and fundamental rights at every school bye

1 minute ago, Miracle said:

Kids are not property of their parents and should be taught equality justice and fundamental rights at every school bye

Their parents are responsible for them and should mold and teach them. You can teach a kid anything in school but that doesn’t guarantee they’ll practice it. Try again!

gagzus

These are two different things. Drag Story Hour is to entertain the children, keep their focus and also normalise queerness for young LGBT+ people. As a drag queen myself I can tell you it’s very different 💀 in a nightclub is a totally different situation, as is a drag show for families which happens, and drag shows vs hosting nights/performing nights are different atmospheres too. 

It also depends on where you live.

22 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

Their parents are responsible for them and should mold and teach them. You can teach a kid anything in school but that doesn’t guarantee they’ll practice it. Try again!

That also means kids can be hateful to other kids over things like skin color, who their parents are, their religion or lack thereof, etc. 

Or even worse, a kid may already know they're gay or trans, but they're parents are hateful bastards. 

There are plenty of reasons why there should be a Drag Queen Story Hour. If it's only beneficial, there is no reason to remove it.

5 minutes ago, Seeka said:

That also means kids can be hateful to other kids over things like skin color, who their parents are, their religion or lack thereof, etc. 

Or even worse, a kid may already know they're gay or trans, but they're parents are hateful bastards. 

There are plenty of reasons why there should be a Drag Queen Story Hour. If it's only beneficial, there is no reason to remove it.

A kid can also grow up with parents who are very accepting but be influenced by friends to be hateful. They can be raised by shitty parents and be very accepting or vice versa. The point is having a drag queen reading them a story will not influence their views on anything just like teaching them in school won’t guarantee they’ll practice what they’re taught. Let’s kids be kids! Let them live and learn!

Craven Moorecox

I don’t know anything about drag story hour; however, I do agree with her on most of her points. As a drag queen myself, I think drag is seen as something very lively, empowering, and colorful. But there are layers to it. I think that addiction to sexual things and drugs is a common problem in the gay world. It so much easier to normalize your actions/behavior than to be self reflective and analyze the reasons why you acted, behaved, thought a certain way. In regards to children, I think by introducing drag to them in a narrow prospective that drag is all about self-expression is not adequately preparing them for the reality of being a queer person. I have been drugged, sexuality assaulted, conned, and bamboozled because I didn’t realize the problems and threats in the gay community. Yeah these problems exist in the straight community, but the weigh of these problems are increased when combined with other problems such as the lack of self acceptance, homophobia, and just being treated as “different”. it would be unfair to paint a fairytale picture for a kid just for it to fall into shambles

Borislshere

Drag queens for trump tease. Anyway, drag can be multiple things. Not every drag queen wants to be overly sexual and raunchy. Let them read to the kids. They’re not “forcing” anything on these children. 

Hell, their parents have most likely done worse things than these queens. As long as the queens show up looking and acting appropriate, why not? 

39 minutes ago, darkpaw said:

A kid can also grow up with parents who are very accepting but be influenced by friends to be hateful. They can be raised by shitty parents and be very accepting or vice versa. The point is having a drag queen reading them a story will not influence their views on anything just like teaching them in school won’t guarantee they’ll practice what they’re taught. Let’s kids be kids! Let them live and learn!

So you want parents to be responsible for kids...

But you also want children to be taught by wallowing in the chaos of the world. 

There is a difference learning "oh, if I fall out of a tree, I'll break something" and "If I bully someone mercilessly or if I'm bullied mercilessly for years on end, mental trauma may set I and I'll get depression and other mental disorders". 

March34th

I agree with her. I really don't think its necessary for all these libraries across the west to suddenly pop up with drag queen storytime for children. What's the reason for children suddenly DESPERATELY "needing" to learn about drag culture? Shouldn't we introduce them to the concept of what gender identity is first rather than confusing them with overlaying ideas and concepts? Just a thought, considering many of the GP can't differentiate what being "trans" or "a drag queen" is, and I have met many a person who thinks that that's the same thing when it is not.

I don't think it's" wrong" to have these events though, as long as these drag queens have proper background checks done beforehand. If a drag queen who does super sexual stuff onstage at their shows wants to host an event for children, I do not think they should be allowed to, it sets a bad example and there's too much overlap, but there are many drag queens who don't include sexuality in their performances, and I think those are the best ones to get involved with community projects. Keep the hypersexualized aspects of drags behind dive bar doors where adults can enjoy them where it's appropriate to. :vegas: It's always up to the parent on what or what they don't want their children exposed to until the child is in their teens and can begin to form a life of their own and a decision-making process of their own. I learned about drag when I was around 14 and I immediately understood and acknowledged the sexual nuances to it and realized that at my age that would be an aspect I would need to steer away from if I wanted to engage with drag culture, because it is inappropriate for children.

I don't think its terrible for children to learn about what drag culture/ballroom queer culture is, but I do definitely think things such as child drag queens or underage performers at drag bars should be banned and not encouraged. Drag is an adult arena due to it's inclusion of and heavy influence on sexuality. It's a huge problem in the gay scene in my own city and it's one I'm quite passionate about. I feel the same way about child beauty pageants or overly-competitive and stressful child sports leagues. Let kids be kids.

March34th
1 hour ago, Craven Moorecox said:

I think by introducing drag to them in a narrow prospective that drag is all about self-expression is not adequately preparing them for the reality of being a queer person. I have been drugged, sexuality assaulted, conned, and bamboozled because I didn’t realize the problems and threats in the gay community.

This.

The GP has a big problem of painting the entire LGBT+ community as an angelic haven with open arms. It can be and often is just as dangerous and damaging as the heterosexual community, and there are plenty of sketchy or dangerous characters operating in it, just like with the straight community.

Drag has dozens of other aspects to it than just self-acceptance and self-expression/expression outside of western gender norms. Yes those are wonderful things but we are doing children (who may grow up to be LGBT) a huge disservice by not properly educating them, and instead by having these cookie-cutter presentations of what drag is all of the time.

Archived