llemesm 2,201 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 Am I the only one noticing this? I feel like what Gaga helped reclaim in pop music (the importance of actually investing in music videos as a form of art) is slowly disappearing again. The visuals, makeup, storytelling, choreography, production, artistic direction… all of it used to feel like part of the song’s identity. Now it feels like artists barely invest in making great music videos. So many of them are just… lame. Safe, forgettable, and kinda meh... is it just me, or artist just don't care about any of that anymore? What was the last genuinely great music video you watched? This is mine: ElsaMars 1 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chromanne 2,806 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 (edited) Music videos are becoming irrelevant these days due to rise of streaming platforms like Spotify. Even a global top #5 hit song like Abracadabra has only crossed over 260M view till now. Disease and The Dead Dance still haven't crossed 100M views. Music videos have become a waste of resources that they could've otherwise spent on payola or promoting the albums. Edited August 30 by Chromanne 4 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Joshie S 6,609 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 Simples. They don't make $. The melody that you choose can rescue you ♥ Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
LateToCult 42,258 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 Labels don’t want to spend money on music videos. People don’t watch them anymore, so there’s less money in it for them. Wasn’t Abra was sponsored by Mastercard. Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duella Dvil 12,252 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 I needed the visuals for Act I and II of Beyoncé's trilogy. Also Confessions 2 says HI www.instagram.com/theduella666 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cherry Blues 621 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 I liked the videos Bad Dreams from Teddy Swims and The Subway from Chappell Roan very much. Of course Abracadabra. But yes, the content of some artists is created firstly sadly for algorithms. Lovers kiss in a garden made of thorns, traces of lonely words... Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Starmie25 22,881 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 2 hours ago, llemesm said: or artist just don't care about any of that anymore? Can't blame them tbh since majority of people these days have shocking attention span. Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lucas 31,679 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 People don't watch music videos on Youtube anymore tbh, so labels/artists don't want to invest as much money and efforts for something that will bring little money. And now it will only get worse since Youtube views don't matter in the Billboard charts anymore Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
nATAH 58,532 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 money, that's it same goes for post album singles too, it's just a huge money sink for established artists who already have a fanbase mother, what must i do? Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
dynamite 67,724 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 Nobody is sitting around watching music channels on TVs anymore, sadly. I miss waiting ages to see my favourite artists video come on. Everything is throwaway, music doesn't make nearly as much money etc. Like a poem said by a neydy in red Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Creyk 18,872 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 Selena changed the industry with Good for you. The video is very simple, mainly just beauty shots yet the song became a huge global hit. That showed musicians they don't have to invest in videos anymore and they can still score a hit and the industry has never been the same. 1 Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
EART HL I NG 1,614 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 Diminishing returns. Not worth putting money into anymore, sadly Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Future Lovers 7,883 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 (edited) Music videos don’t really matter anymore as a promotional tool, so most artists have stopped pouring money and resources into it. Videos only got to be what they did because they were once the primary, or at least the most critical investment in a single. Hell, music videos used to be able to carry whole albums at one point! To get a music video into heavy rotation on MTV or to get a massive amount of views on YouTube was to almost guarantee a single’s success. That is not the case now. YouTube no longer reports views to Billboard so that doesn’t count toward the charts. YouTube itself is a platform in severe year over year decline so it’s an uncertain platform for promotion. There are no channels playing videos regularly so that platform is gone. Promotion has shifted to social media. TikTok, Instagram, etc. Those platforms are not really compatible with music videos and artists at this point are mostly making them as either a formality or as things intended to be chopped up and turned into viral clips on other platforms. Videos will get better when they actually have some effect on performance again. But I don’t see that happening unless social media’s prevalence in entertainment dwindles. Edited August 30 by Future Lovers Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sneaky Oliver 23,090 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 I was thinking about that the other day, on one hand I really miss great MVs but on the other hand I don’t really watch MVs that often these days (and I say that as a very YouTube guy) maybe due to the extinction of good repayable MVs ?? Maybe I’ve seen my favorite MVs like one thousand times so I could live without them?? Sometimes I watch live performances from Gaga but I can’t remember the last time I saw The Fame MVs or even huge hits like Telephone or Alejandro Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cherry Blues 621 Posted August 30 Share Posted August 30 35 minutes ago, Sneaky Oliver said: Sometimes I watch live performances from Gaga but I can’t remember the last time I saw The Fame MVs or even huge hits like Telephone or Alejandro Hope music videos will make a comeback some day, this art form must not die. Lovers kiss in a garden made of thorns, traces of lonely words... Quote Link to post Share on other sites More sharing options...
Featured Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.