Sign in to follow this  
science

Antarctica Helping Slow Global Sea Rise... For Now

Featured Posts

Economy

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/science-environment-43691671

The warmer Oceans increased evaporation have helped increase annual snowfall in Antarctica by about 10%

Because snow never melts in the deep south Pole anything that falls there stays there, increasing the snowpack and removing some water from the liquid oceans

Of Course it comes no where close to offset ice melt in North Pole or Greenland or even the outer edges of Antarctica itself that aren't as cold as deep Antarctica

In time, If the warming is significant enough, even the deep South Pole could occasionally experience melt and this partial offsetting effect we experience now will be lost and the Oceans will rise even faster

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1

Judas Society

Just a lighthearted question, will the southern hemisphere eventually swap places with the northern hemisphere in terms of climate temperature, as in the south will be colder and the north will have a hotter climate? 

Economy
6 minutes ago, Judas Society said:

Just a lighthearted question, will the southern hemisphere eventually swap places with the northern hemisphere in terms of climate temperature, as in the south will be colder and the north will have a hotter climate? 

No.

If ur thinking of the geomagnetic reversal that's a magnetic thing nothing to do with this

The South Pole is colder because

#1 it has more elevation. The north pole has no land it's just frozen water just a few feet high above Ocean. But the South Pole in Antarctica is on land and has considerable elevation to which ice caps have added even more elevation

#2 because the South Pole exists on a land continent that also makes it colder. The North Pole being in an Ocean gets more of a moderation from that

So there's no reason to think it would ever switch. The average difference is several degrees difference. In the summer temperatures often go above freezing for days at a time in the North Pole. In the South Pole that virtually never happens

Some ice sheets have broken from Antarctica but that's on its edges of the continent not in the actual South Pole. There melting pretty much never happens

Edited by Economy
  • Like 2

Economy

@Judas Society some side facts

- The coldest temperature ever recorded on earth was -89.2C (yup in Antarctica) which is -128.5F

- Antarctica ice mass is an average of 1.4 miles in thickness with some areas well over 2 miles (high enough to cause breathing difficulties for some people)

- Of all of Earths ice in the Poles, Greenland and mountains, Antarctica contains over 90% of it

- If all of North Pole, Green land and Mountain Ice Caps melted earths oceans would rise several feet, but if all of Antarctica melted, Oceans would rise over 70 metres (over 200 feet)

- Antarctica at 14,000,000 squared km is 40% larger than USA. Imagine that much land covered in thick ice

Edited by Economy
  • Shook 2

Judas Society
30 minutes ago, Economy said:

@Judas Society some side facts

- The coldest temperature ever recorded on earth was -89.2C (yup in Antarctica) which is -128.5F

- Antarctica ice mass is an average of 1.4 miles in thickness with some areas well over 2 miles (high enough to cause breathing difficulties for some people)

- Of all of Earths ice in the Poles, Greenland and mountains, Antarctica contains over 90% of it

- If all of North Pole, Green land and Mountain Ice Caps melted earths oceans would rise several feet, but if all of Antarctica melted, Oceans would rise over 70 metres (over 200 feet)

- Antarctica at 14,000,000 squared km is 40% larger than USA. Imagine that much land covered in thick ice

Imma call you GGD's own encyclopedia. I think you have the affinity for general knowledge and probably one of the few users here who discuss about topics other than the entertainment industry or LGBT issues. :enigma:

• Love 1

Economy
2 minutes ago, Judas Society said:

Imma call you GGD's own encyclopedia. I think you have the affinity for general knowledge and probably one of the few users here who discuss about topics other than the entertainment industry or LGBT issues. :enigma:

I'm constantly searching up stuff like u have no idea

I'll just be sitting and figiting on my phone and I'll Google whatever comes to mind... Or I'll be talking with someone or seeing something on tv and I just have to search it to know facts about it :enigma:

But by far what I do the most obsessively is keep up with economics :ally:

And  my unorthodox stances in part are because I follow channels and articles that are right winged biased, left wing biased and Centrists as well as neutral. I like to take in every single perspective possible and after analysing anything come up with a stance that factors in all the different factors

I don't believe in left, centre or right wing being the best or worst. I think it's a complex combination of all and none at the same time :messga:

Anyway I'm going off topic. With science yeah I'm constantly reading facts and memorizing stuff :sweat:

Helxig

Lol watch all the earths water start turning to ice in Antarctica until the globe just has a giant bulge on one side and then the shift in gravity offsets earths trajectory and we slowly move further away from the sun until the earth cools a couple degrees and balance is restored

Except the moon flies away in the process and we lose our beautiful moon and tides and that is our punishment and we can tell our grandchildren about how amazing the moon used to be in the sky at night

Edited by Helxig
I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.
  • LMAO 1

Economy
7 hours ago, Helxig said:

Lol watch all the earths water start turning to ice in Antarctica until the globe just has a giant bulge on one side and then the shift in gravity offsets earths trajectory and we slowly move further away from the sun until the earth cools a couple degrees and balance is restored

Except the moon flies away in the process and we lose our beautiful moon and tides and that is our punishment and we can tell our grandchildren about how amazing the moon used to be in the sky at night

Antarctica already has ice 1 mile to 2 miles thick (depending on the area)

I'm sure there's a limit to how high it can get cuz eventually the clouds would be blocked from coming in :laughga:

But I guess this is making Antarctica pontier because the South Pole is getting more snow fall that never melts thus making the glaciers even bigger while the outer portions of Antarctica further away from the south pole are melting more because of global warming...

The edges will get thinner and smaller while the inside will the higher

The pulled up snow in Antarctica might look something like this:

latest?cb=20190527153629

:selena:

Edited by Economy
  • Like 1