Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

2019 was the strangest year in the BB Hot 100

StrawberryBlond

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I think we can all agree that the #1 songs on the BB Hot 100 for the last decade (and before) have been very generic. Even if you like the songs, you can't deny that they're made to be hits and it tends to be the usual suspects getting to the top. But 2019 was a strange, eclectic, unpredictable year that I've never seen in my life and I'm 30. Here is the list of #1's this year in chronological order and how many weeks they had:

Ariana Grande - Thank U, Next - 1 week (continued from 2018)

Halsey - Without Me - 2 weeks (non-consecutive)

Post Malone & Swae Lee - Sunflower - 1 week

Ariana Grande - 7 Rings - 8 weeks (non-consecutive)

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow - 1 week

Jonas Brothers - Sucker - 1 week

Lil Nas X feat. Billy Ray Cyrus - Old Town Road - 18 weeks (solo version - 1 week)

Billie Eilish - Bad Guy - 1 week

Shawn Mendes & Camila Cabello - Senorita - 1 week

Lizzo - Truth Hurts - 7 weeks (non-consecutive)

Travis Scott - Highest In The Room - 1 week

Lewis Capaldi - Someone You Loved - 3 weeks (non-consecutive)

Selena Gomez - Lose You To Love Me -  1 week

Post Malone - Circles  - 2 weeks

The Weeknd - Heartless - 1 week

Mariah Carey - All I Want For Christmas Is You - 2 weeks

As you can see, there's more than a few patterns going on here. First, what strikes you right between the eyes is that there are so many artists here who have achieved their first #1 ever. A whopping 12 artists achieved it this year (I think Ariana technically counts as TUN had just hit #1 at the end of 2018 and it continued into the new year, so she was still riding that same wave that got her there and I'm sure every Gaga fan would say Bradley counts too!). Another thing is, there were also some artists who achieved their first #1 in a while (The Weeknd got his first in nearly 3 years, Gaga got her first in just under 8 years and Mariah got her first in over 11 years with a 25 year old song). There were also some records set this year. Lil Nas X set the record for the longest running #1 in Billboard history, Lizzo tied with Iggy Azalea for the longest running rap song by a female artist and Mariah became the first artist in history to have #1's in 3 different decades (if there's more records, let me know). And what also hits you is that quite a few songs that took risks yet managed to have success. Shallow was a ballad and unlike any single Gaga ever put out, Sucker was a pure pop song at a time when pop was majorly struggling on the charts, Old Town Road was a bizarre hip/country mash-up that was basically parody with an aging country artist featured and Bad Guy was a song that was somewhat hard to categorise in terms of genre. And there weren't many consecutive weeks at #1 either, with quite a few 1 week hitters, which is quite rare for an American chart. 8 females also had a #1 this year, compared to just 4 in 2018 and was the best female turn-out since 2012. Even though big names put out material this year like Katy Perry, Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, Ed Sheeran and more, none of them could get #1 singles which was truly the most surprising thing of all.

Overall, this chart, was in my opinion, the best run of #1's since 2010. The charts in recent years had really disappointed me with their choice of #1's but this year was an amazing return to form and in an amazingly unpredictable way too with surprises at every turn. I hope to see more unpredictable charts in 2020, along with more female representation, more genre representation, more first timers. Here's to charts that actually keep you guessing!

KatieJudasGaga4

I think this year was good, however imo, OTR was #1 for too long, but that's my only complaint. 

I love how 2 of my favorite artists got a #1 this year :party:

8 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Lizzo - Truth Hurts - 7 weeks (non-consecutive)

The ONLY good thing to happen to this chart in the last year. PERIOD.

(7 rings is cute too and the very small Shallow peak is a thing)

KatieJudasGaga4
2 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The ONLY good thing to happen to this chart in the last year. PERIOD.

(7 rings is cute too and the very small Shallow peak is a thing)

What do you mean Shallow's peak is small? It literally went #1 with a HUGE sales week. 

Just now, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

What do you mean Shallow's peak is small? It literally went #1 with a HUGE sales week. 

It was #1 for one single week :shrug:

KatieJudasGaga4
Just now, Enigma said:

It was #1 for one single week :shrug:

Still doesn't change the fact that it went #1. Still an accomplishment. Poker Face went #1 for only a week too, is that small too?

Just now, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

Still doesn't change the fact that it went #1. Still an accomplishment. Poker Face went #1 for only a week too, is that small too?

It still is a small peak... short if you prefer :awkney: that's not even a bad thing it's just a fact... like it couldn't have peaked for any shorter so yes it's a small peak but it's still a peak... why are you so pressed :neyde:

Catnikko
18 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - Shallow - 1 week

ugh such a generic and oscar catering song :ally:

Actual patient

FfFfFfFF

I agree completely with your observations! The 1#s were indeed surprising, came from unexpected names and were in a lot of ways more unconventional than in previous years.

ThisGuyTony
19 hours ago, Unbeweavable said:

ugh such a generic and oscar catering song :ally:

One of the last posts I ever read from Paws Down called it a “generic movie power ballad.” :air:

Runway
19 hours ago, Enigma said:

It still is a small peak... short if you prefer :awkney: that's not even a bad thing it's just a fact... like it couldn't have peaked for any shorter so yes it's a small peak but it's still a peak... why are you so pressed :neyde:

It comes off as you’re belittling it’s success even though it was a monster smash

Runway
10 minutes ago, ThisGuyTony said:

One of the last posts I ever read from Paws Down called it a “generic movie power ballad.” :air:

Which is something  their fave tried to achieve many times but failed :air:

ThisGuyTony
7 minutes ago, Runway said:

Which is something  their fave tried to achieve many times but failed :air:

Well they try and claim that Masterpiece is some sort of classic just because it won a Golden Globe. :rip: 

Archived